All-Star Stunting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 9, 2012
If my wildest dreams in the whole entire universe ever came true and I am able to cheer next year (Last year I would be able to because I would age out), how would I be able to lean how to stunt?

I mean, you learn tumbling from tumbling classes. But there are no stunting classes and you can't really get a stunting private. I have no cheer friends that could help me.

Any ideas? I don't want to be put on a low level time for not knowing how to stunt.

In my city a lot of places hold 'open gym' classes where you may be able to go and learn some skills so it could be worth asking around, or there are lots of camps and clinics for beginners especially over the holidays :)

Stunt privates are also available with a lot of coaches, and I've found these have helped me out lots, mainly with gaining confidence and trying new skills.

But don't forget that it is not a bad thing to start on a 'low level team'. Everyone needs to start somewhere, everyone began at the beginning and you will learn all the basics and safety skills necessary to progress to harder skills :)
Good luck!

Top Gun made a stunt instructional video series for levels 1-5. I believe it is only sold on the cheer channel website. Go to www.cheerchannel.com and it will come up on the home page as you are watching it. They are $69.99. The stunt stands are awesome for practicing at home, but they are super pricey...$399.99.

I know at WC there are both stunt classes and stunt privates. Where do you live? Maybe some gym has the same type of classes in your area.

I know at WC there are both stunt classes and stunt privates. Where do you live? Maybe some gym has the same type of classes in your area.
Our gym offers the same. Not only stunt classes, but also 4-5 hour clinics. Check your local all star gyms! Good luck!

At the gym I was at in high school, we used to get quite a few gymnasts that wanted to switch over to cheer each season but didn't have any idea how to stunt. They were taught at tryouts though and the coaches saw how fast they learned/how hard they tried to do something which determined their potential for a certain level, as teaching someone to stunt typically is much faster than trying to teach someone to tumble. Say they had a full or layout but no stunting experience, then they'd usually be put on a level 3 or 4 and learn over the summer for stunting. They wouldn't be put right away on the level 5 team not only just due to stunts however (key point here)!They didn't have performance experience, jump technique, motions/dance technique, awareness of doing a routine with other people (counting eight counts, knowing to not run into other people, walking with hands clean to formations, doing a team sport,etc.), and the coaches didn't know how the athlete would handle pressure, so it would be overwhelming for the athlete to just be thrown right into level 5 usually. It's better to start at a lower level and learn to perfect the foundation imo, so even if you don't have a stunt class near you, that won't be the only factor determining your level next season. I'd focus more on getting your tumbling and jumps down, while conditioning and stretching so that when the coaches teach you proper technique to stunt at tryouts, you'll be physically and mentally ready to learn.

Stunt privates, coed and all girl are very common at open gyms across the country. Ask around and youll find an array of prices and coaches

Back