College Tryout Tumbling Skills

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 9, 2023
Hello! I still have yet to hear from UF (the college of my dreams), but WHEN I get accepted (putting that energy out there), I really want to make their cheer team. I would need to learn a RO BHS series, Standing BHS and Tuck, and a RO BT. I have 0 tumbling skills and when it comes to tumbling, the second I do it, its not so bad I get more confident. I need these skills by the end of April/start of May. Would I be able to pull off such a feat? All I need to nail this tryout is tumbling because it is such a big cut, and everything else I need for tryouts is solid! Alsooooooo is the UF cheer team an easy team to make? Compared to all the other colleges I've seen their skill requirements aren't that extreme.

All I can say is 6 weeks (give or take) is not a lot of time to get that many skills. Remember that these are minimum requirements. Make sure you have a reputable instructor who is going to focus on technique.

I sincerely hope you are accepted to UF, college is a very exciting time to start. :)

I’m going to just say temper your expectations. That is a LOT of skills to get in a matter of, like, 2 months with self-proclaimed zero tumbling experience. Do you mean ZERO zero? Like not even a roundoff or a back walkover? Are you naturally flexible or strong? Those things will really impact if this is doable.

I would keep in mind, too, that lots of college teams will accept one or two non-tumblers who are PHENOMENAL in other areas. I might recommend reaching out to the coach to ask if they’d consider this!

Finally, I just want to say that it’s okay to not do cheer this next season. You can more safely and efficiently build up your skills and technique over your freshman year, as well as give yourself an opportunity to try other things while at college. Or, if you’re determined to cheer but tumbling isn’t your strength, look into non-tumbling allstar teams! That what I did when I left high school - I had bare bones tumbling, no tucks or series, so I joined L6 NT teams and had a blast with a team that suited my strengths.

You’ll be okay either way OP, hope once again that you get into UF!

To answer some of y
I sincerely hope you are accepted to UF, college is a very exciting time to start. :)

I’m going to just say temper your expectations. That is a LOT of skills to get in a matter of, like, 2 months with self-proclaimed zero tumbling experience. Do you mean ZERO zero? Like not even a roundoff or a back walkover? Are you naturally flexible or strong? Those things will really impact if this is doable.

I would keep in mind, too, that lots of college teams will accept one or two non-tumblers who are PHENOMENAL in other areas. I might recommend reaching out to the coach to ask if they’d consider this!

Finally, I just want to say that it’s okay to not do cheer this next season. You can more safely and efficiently build up your skills and technique over your freshman year, as well as give yourself an opportunity to try other things while at college. Or, if you’re determined to cheer but tumbling isn’t your strength, look into non-tumbling allstar teams! That what I did when I left high school - I had bare bones tumbling, no tucks or series, so I joined L6 NT teams and had a blast with a team that suited my strengths.

You’ll be okay either way OP, hope once again that you get into U

You’ll be okay either way OP, hope once again that you get into UF!
So to answer your questions. I do have a round off and cartwheel, so that’s a start, and I am pretty flexible. I did reach out to the coach if they accept non tumblers, but all girls must tumble. The only NT on the team can be boys (because of course). And if I don’t have my tumbling skills then, UF does offer a club cheer team that competes at NCA in the Spirit Rally and AG Traditional Division, so I would still have something to do. But at the end of the day, I love games more than competing so that’s something I really want to reach for. I COULD look into all star teams but, that’s more money, and UF cheer is free while the club cheer costs about $2,500 a year. So all in all, I definitely have choices for UF.

You will most likely be competing against girls who have been tumbling and cheering competitively for a very long time. To be honest it is not realistic. With that said there are rare exceptions, incredible natural athletes that pull off the impossible. Maybe that's you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back