All-Star Suggestions For Older Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 12, 2016
Hello to all. I have a question about young adult athletes new to the sport. I coach a non-competitive team at my alma mater, our team includes both experienced athletes and those with no experience. This year we had more girls who had never cheered before make it on the team. Two of our girls who are international students are very, very committed and love cheer. They approached me this past weekend asking if there are other ways to stay involved after basketball season ends in Feb/March. They will be on campus this summer, but we will not hold practices and our facilities will have restrictions due to summer programs going on. I am looking for potential ways they might be able to stay involved with cheer.

If they were younger, I would definitely push them toward all star (they are somewhat familiar with it but don't know specifics since they're not from the US). I am hesitant now due to age - one is 21 and the other is 18. There is a gym about an hour away with IOC5 that I thought about bringing up, but am not sure if I should. They also have classes for tumbling and stunting, but I am not familiar with how the gym handles it (especially since they are level 1/2). I think it would be wonderful for them if they could join a team to continue cheering, as well as get some practice over the summer, but realistically I don't think they would make a team due to skill level. I was also thinking of encouraging them to try camps or clinics.. but again, they're already in college and in my experience those are geared toward younger athletes or teams going to camp together. I would have to mention these in a certain way due to time/travel/cost involved.. I don't want them to get the impression that they'll go to all these clinics and be able to make a high level team.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to approach this? Are there things I am not thinking of? I have never worked with "non-traditional" cheerleaders in this sense, they're my first two international students as a coach, so any advice is very helpful and appreciated.

Is Open 4 an option? Can they attribute to the IOC5 team in some way (stunting)? Maybe the gym would be willing to let them join the classes and see where they could fit in on the team? Or maybe just in gym as a Tinys coach?

@SmileCat Has open 4 caught on more widely? It's been a few years since I was involved in all star. When I was in college it was barely around and my own gym from high school tried for 2 seasons but the teams never lasted long enough into the season. Coaching would be a possibility, I'm still hestitant to bring it up because they're international, not extremely familiar with the sport yet, and English isn't their first language... but definitely a possibility if they stay on the team for future seasons.

I would put both girls at level 2/3 stunting , I think they could learn alot from IOC5 but probably couldn't keep up since there are many skills they haven't tried. We're not co ed either so that would be completely new to them as well.

Is there an open gym that they can attend? Clinics, stunt classes, open tumbling night- these are all good ways for them to mingle with other cheerleaders as well as improve at the sport. And, hanging out with other people will be great for their English.

@SmileCat Has open 4 caught on more widely? It's been a few years since I was involved in all star. When I was in college it was barely around and my own gym from high school tried for 2 seasons but the teams never lasted long enough into the season. Coaching would be a possibility, I'm still hestitant to bring it up because they're international, not extremely familiar with the sport yet, and English isn't their first language... but definitely a possibility if they stay on the team for future seasons.

I would put both girls at level 2/3 stunting , I think they could learn alot from IOC5 but probably couldn't keep up since there are many skills they haven't tried. We're not co ed either so that would be completely new to them as well.
I'm on an open 4 team! It's not overly popular, there's only three in the state of florida

Hello to all. I have a question about young adult athletes new to the sport. I coach a non-competitive team at my alma mater, our team includes both experienced athletes and those with no experience. This year we had more girls who had never cheered before make it on the team. Two of our girls who are international students are very, very committed and love cheer. They approached me this past weekend asking if there are other ways to stay involved after basketball season ends in Feb/March. They will be on campus this summer, but we will not hold practices and our facilities will have restrictions due to summer programs going on. I am looking for potential ways they might be able to stay involved with cheer.

If they were younger, I would definitely push them toward all star (they are somewhat familiar with it but don't know specifics since they're not from the US). I am hesitant now due to age - one is 21 and the other is 18. There is a gym about an hour away with IOC5 that I thought about bringing up, but am not sure if I should. They also have classes for tumbling and stunting, but I am not familiar with how the gym handles it (especially since they are level 1/2). I think it would be wonderful for them if they could join a team to continue cheering, as well as get some practice over the summer, but realistically I don't think they would make a team due to skill level. I was also thinking of encouraging them to try camps or clinics.. but again, they're already in college and in my experience those are geared toward younger athletes or teams going to camp together. I would have to mention these in a certain way due to time/travel/cost involved.. I don't want them to get the impression that they'll go to all these clinics and be able to make a high level team.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to approach this? Are there things I am not thinking of? I have never worked with "non-traditional" cheerleaders in this sense, they're my first two international students as a coach, so any advice is very helpful and appreciated.
They could go to different camps. Tumblepalooza, Woodward, and many other colleges have different camps and clinics. What about open gyms?

You said they're in college, do you know if their college offers club cheer?

I have taken adult gymnastics classes at local gymnastics centers/YMCA so that maybe could be an idea?

@Beans100 That's a good idea, thank you. I went ahead and contacted the gym near by to see if they do open gym, waiting on a response but I know they're busy since its comp season. As of now they have IOC practice on Sundays but maybe some of their kids + some of my girls could join up for an open gym.

@SmileCat Glad to see some places have it, I wish it would catch on more! It's perfect for athletes like the ones on my team.. heck I would even do Open 4 if it was around. We only have one gym nearby and another gym over an hour away, neither fields it at the moment

@catlady I coach our school's team, we only have our club team since we're a small school. They're getting good experience but our season ends when basketball ends, we don't get the space to practice in the spring. They want some other ways to get experience and practice from March-August when cheer will start up at school again, which is a good idea

@emilyhaze Didn't know YMCA offered adult gymnastics at all! Our branch unfortunately doesn't offer it

Back