All-Star Summer / Early Fall Attendance Policies

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Between injuries, family deaths, and everything else, this has been a trying season. Its become a running joke for the parents that stay and watch. "Oh look, we're only missing two people tonight".........and to make it worse, its my daughters bases that seem to be absent the most. She's probably had 10 different bases so far in practice.
Don't feel too bad. Two years ago we had one for Sunday practice that was NEVER on time and we started taking bets in the parent area how many minutes late. Everyone would toss in their number when they sat down. It was like the price is right, closest to it without going over.

Sadly the winning numbers were usually 25, 29, 41, 37 (minutes late).

She had to sty after and condition one time for 20 minutes (that day she was an hour late) and her mom went bat $&@! Crazy over it.

Don't feel too bad. Two years ago we had one for Sunday practice that was NEVER on time and we started taking bets in the parent area how many minutes late.

I guess that's one consolation. When they're here, they're at least on time.

Now we had one miss a Weds night practice. There's supposed to be a 5 unexcused absences and you're gone rule, and I know she's broken that already.

Some of the most successful teams my CPs have been on were based more on dedication than on skill. My youngest was on a youth team a few years ago that was struggling to be competitive in their level at the beginning of the season but they all came to every practice and worked their tails off and after losing the first few comps they ended up maxing out the scoresheet and went undefeated the rest of the season winning several big national titles and even many grand championships against teams stacked with higher level athletes. It was such a thrill to see those kids rewarded for their efforts!! On the flip side my oldest CP was on a team once that had so much talent they should have gone undefeated but because of lack of commitment and effort from some they ended up having to water down their routine and had a disappointing season. I get that you need to have certain skills for each level but I would take a kid who shows up and gives 100% at every practice over a "superstar" who thinks everyone else needs to work harder than they do. It can be frustrating to see a team with talent self destruct because of a few bad apples.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Has it gotten any better since school started or is attendance still poor?

Cheer Dad = broke dad

Has it gotten any better since school started or is attendance still poor?

Cheer Dad = broke dad
You know, we still can never get everyone there for some reason. Some of the school cheer has been a minor interruption but there are other days there's no excuse.
Wouldn't you know the ones that have missed the most seem to by cp's bases. (Her back, main and secondary) She ends up not being able to do as my stunt repetitions as the other groups.
When we have our showcase soon, it'll be a wonder if she stays up.
We did bring up concerns to coach recently and I think they will be addressing this soon......I hope.

You know, we still can never get everyone there for some reason. Some of the school cheer has been a minor interruption but there are other days there's no excuse.
Wouldn't you know the ones that have missed the most seem to by cp's bases. (Her back, main and secondary) She ends up not being able to do as my stunt repetitions as the other groups.
When we have our showcase soon, it'll be a wonder if she stays up.
We did bring up concerns to coach recently and I think they will be addressing this soon......I hope.
You mean they haven't already addressed it? Seems like something that should be on their radar.

Our attendance policy is that you are here during summer unless on vacation, and once school starts you get 2 absences per half of the season. After that you are removed from the team. It was well enforced last year and created major attrition on some teams. It lead to a lot of crossovers being pulled on to full spots. I think they decided to back off this year so as not to drive people away. It is not being enforced at all from what I can tell this year, and the teams are all nowhere close to as prepared as they were this time last year.

My CPs squad is suffering because of the lack of commitment that several squad member (or their parents) seem to have. Their first competition is in 5 weeks, and they still have not been able to truly start their pyramid because there usually seems to be at least 3-4 members not there. Practicing stunting is ridiculous, because every practice they have to move cheerleaders around to work with groups that are not theirs. Which usually results in a lot of falling flyers....which ends up just being a waste of time. Thankfully, my daughter's stunt group is the only one that is consistently there. My daughter has not missed a practice so far.

I have spoken to another parent about this, and she is frustrated as well. We pay good money for our CPs to work and try to compete. I don't necessarily expect to get first place. But I do expect to have my CP enter the stage on competition day feeling proud and confident that her squad can put on the best performance that her squad is capable of.

We have no attendance policy. I think our gym is afraid to do that because it is so small. I think that they believe that they can get customers if it appears to be "flexible" with other family commitments.

CPs old gym had a strict guideline as to how many practices you were allowed to miss. Luckily, it was respected and the kids actually showed up! Rarely were they missing anybody.

I am hoping that after the first competition that the cheerleaders who aren't coming might actually showing up consistently will see how important it is to come.

My CPs squad is suffering because of the lack of commitment that several squad member (or their parents) seem to have. Their first competition is in 5 weeks, and they still have not been able to truly start their pyramid because there usually seems to be at least 3-4 members not there. Practicing stunting is ridiculous, because every practice they have to move cheerleaders around to work with groups that are not theirs. Which usually results in a lot of falling flyers....which ends up just being a waste of time. Thankfully, my daughter's stunt group is the only one that is consistently there. My daughter has not missed a practice so far.

I have spoken to another parent about this, and she is frustrated as well. We pay good money for our CPs to work and try to compete. I don't necessarily expect to get first place. But I do expect to have my CP enter the stage on competition day feeling proud and confident that her squad can put on the best performance that her squad is capable of.

We have no attendance policy. I think our gym is afraid to do that because it is so small. I think that they believe that they can get customers if it appears to be "flexible" with other family commitments.

CPs old gym had a strict guideline as to how many practices you were allowed to miss. Luckily, it was respected and the kids actually showed up! Rarely were they missing anybody.

I am hoping that after the first competition that the cheerleaders who aren't coming might actually showing up consistently will see how important it is to come.
Attendance is so crucial to success! Having a lax attendance policy says the same thing to me as just saying they don't care if they're competitive or not. I'm a true believer of the fact that we teach others how to treat us. If we teach people that being out is okay, then they'll just come to practice when they feel like it. If we teach them that it's not accepted, then it won't happen. I can promise that while losing a few athletes to a strict attendance policy may hurt the bottom line in the short term, being a competitive program with well established, enforced policies and a solid winning record will help the business grow in the long term. Best of luck to you and your CP this season!

Back