Summer Stunt Tip Tuesday: Rolling Out!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 21, 2015
Click For Full Article

with Kenny La from Australia​

Hey guys! Today’s episode of Stunt Tip Tuesdays is Rolling Out
1f3be

Stunting takes a toll on the body especially on the joints and the connecting muscles. Taking time to roll out is essentially giving yourself a deep tissue massage that breaks up adhesions & scar tissue that may have formed during stunting. This can help speed up the healing process of those muscles and can also help prevent potential future injuries

The main areas that I have personally found myself consistently rolling out after a tough stunt session are;

1f4aa
FOREARMS
1f4aa

Due to the amount of gripping that is required during stunting, our forearms get quite a work out. As a result, they become tight and if overused can lead to pain down the wrists, up through the elbows and sometimes the shoulders. Forearms can be rolled out on a foam roller or even a ball (cricket or lacrosse), making sure you are applying pressure and going from the wrist to the elbow

1f519.png
BACK
1f519.png

Rolling out the back is very common in cheer, not just for stunters but for tumblers also. In terms of stunting, rolling out the back can release the muscles which can prevent the accumulation of knots and also potential rotator cuff injuries. Furthermore rolling out the back allows the thoracic region (upper back) to become more mobile and eventually more flexible. Better thoracic mobility leads to a greater range of motion through the shoulders, encouraging better stunting technique (holding flyers above you rather than in front of you)

1f356
HAMSTRINGS
1f356

Contrary to popular belief, you use your legs a lot during stunting
1f602
Therefore your body is constantly squatting throughout a stunt sequence putting your glutes and hamstrings through a tough workout. Rolling out the hamstrings is essential since it aids in recovery and injury prevention. Much like rolling out the back, it can also induce greater flexibility. A better range of motion in the hamstrings allows stunters to ‘use their legs’ more effectively. Strengthening & releasing tension in the hamstrings is seen as vital since it can take the pressure off your knees, preventing any potential major or minor knee injuries

I am not a licensed physiotherapist nor am I professional health expert, these rolling techniques are what I have learnt over the years and have personally helped me with my stunting and keeping my muscles pain free. If you have chronic and consistent pain in your forearms, back and/or hamstrings I highly suggest seeking professional help to treat the pain properly

Thanks again for tuning in to Stunt Tip Tuesdays! I hope everyone is having a great week so far and I’ll see you all next week! Get rolling
1f3be
1f3be
1f3be

Back