College Switch From High Level Gymnastics To College Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
My CP has a friend that does high level gymnastics. I asked her if her goal was to do gymnastics in College. I was surprised when she told me I am going to do gymnastics all through high school, but plan on trying out for a College Cheer team. She has no cheer experience, but is an amazing gymnast. Is this transition common? If so, is it a tough transition?

My CP has a friend that does high level gymnastics. I asked her if her goal was to do gymnastics in College. I was surprised when she told me I am going to do gymnastics all through high school, but plan on trying out for a College Cheer team. She has no cheer experience, but is an amazing gymnast. Is this transition common? If so, is it a tough transition?

It's not real common but happens occasionally - probably more so with guys, since often girls make the gymnastics to cheer switch a bit earlier. It would definitely help her at college tryouts to get at least some stunt experience well before tryouts. Sometimes high-level gymnasts struggle with coed stunting at first because they're so used to balancing themselves that they have trouble with just staying tight and letting the guy do the balancing.

Her success at tryouts will also depend a lot on the cheer program. At many programs, the coach will see the tumbling talent and say "I'll take her and teach the rest." At some high-level programs where the tryouts are very competitive, she might get beaten out by others who also tumble well but can already stunt and look comfortable cheering in front of a crowd.

Also, note that many college tryouts are on non-spring mats, so that's something she'd want to prepare for.

Thanks for the info.! I think it is really interesting. My cp's do cheer & gymnastics, but their gymnastics isn't a high level. I asked her why not add cheer. She said the high level gymnastics she does takes up all her time & she isn't ready to give it up yet.

It's not real common but happens occasionally - probably more so with guys, since often girls make the gymnastics to cheer switch a bit earlier. It would definitely help her at college tryouts to get at least some stunt experience well before tryouts. Sometimes high-level gymnasts struggle with coed stunting at first because they're so used to balancing themselves that they have trouble with just staying tight and letting the guy do the balancing.

Her success at tryouts will also depend a lot on the cheer program. At many programs, the coach will see the tumbling talent and say "I'll take her and teach the rest." At some high-level programs where the tryouts are very competitive, she might get beaten out by others who also tumble well but can already stunt and look comfortable cheering in front of a crowd.

Also, note that many college tryouts are on non-spring mats, so that's something she'd want to prepare for.

Oh, one question. Do you think it is harder & takes longer to learn high level tumbling or high level stunting?

Two girls on my school team are actually gymnast :) Sometimes their jumps & motions are kind of awkward since they were taught differently and of course you have to teach the basics of stunting all the way to what you expect in stunting, but most girls can pull it off :D Good luck to her and hope it all goes well!

IMO its easier to teach a High Level Gymnast stunting rather than teach tumbling to a great stunter. Most of the time, gymnasts have body awareness and control so when applied to stunting it is easier. With teaching tumbling to stunters/cheerleaders, its usually harder due to age/fear and not enough time.

That being said, I have seen high level gymnasts struggle with switching to cheer because they can't turn off their balance while stunting, or lift up as needed when flying.

IMO its easier to teach a High Level Gymnast stunting rather than teach tumbling to a great stunter. Most of the time, gymnasts have body awareness and control so when applied to stunting it is easier. With teaching tumbling to stunters/cheerleaders, its usually harder due to age/fear and not enough time.

That being said, I have seen high level gymnasts struggle with switching to cheer because they can't turn off their balance while stunting, or lift up as needed when flying.
Thanks for the info!

I was a high level gymnast until 11th grade. That when I made the switch-however I had been doing school cheer for several years (along with gymnastics) at that point. As mentioned, the body awareness made learning to co-ed stunt much easier!

Back