All-Star Team Issue

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2024
Hello! I’m a fourteen year old athlete and have an issue with my team placement after tryouts this season. I got my team placements back tonight and wasn’t happy with them. Last year I was on a J3 and J1 but had been getting annoyed with being on level one because I am significantly more advanced than the majority of my teammates on that team. It was getting very frustrating for me to be set back so far when I was working on fulls. This year when I tried out I thought for sure I’d at least be on a level two but instead I got the same teams I was on the year before. The only reason I’m still on the J1 is because a coach on there won’t let me go. She doesn’t want me and a few other kids to advance further because we are the best ones on her team (point stunt group, best tumblers, most dedicated to cheer etc.) and is being really selfish by setting us back. There’s both a level four team and a level two team this season too, and there seems to be no reason why we can’t be in one of those. I’m happy with the j3 as I enjoy being on that but the j1 is really frustrating and I need to be challenged more. I would be happy with ANY level that’s not one. I need some advice here as I don’t know if I should complain, suck it up, ask to switch teams, or anything else. My mom really wants to complain bc I am way to advanced to be on the team. What should I do?

That is super frustrating! Did the coach for the J1 team specifically tell you that the reason you're being kept is because you're reliable, or is that an assumption? I would double check that there's not any other reason you are being assigned to that team (like, for example, is the J3 team extremely competitive, and they can only take the best of the best? So while you may be advanced, they don't have enough spots for you?).

If it is literally just because the coach doesn't want to lose a dependable athlete, then you're right, that is very selfish and your mom should say something on your behalf. Make sure she keeps it civil, of course, but it definitely couldn't hurt to express your frustration and ask if being switched to a higher level team is a possibility. Like you said, even a J2 team would be a step up! As a last resort, if they really won't do anything about it, it may be worth it to look for other gyms in your area that would be willing to work with you, instead of holding you back. Best of luck!

There is no harm in letting them know (respectfully) you are no longer feeling challenged on J1. I would tell them you would like to drop that team, and if they have any opportunities on a Level 2 or 4 in the future you would like to be considered. With that said, I know there are gyms out there who place athletes on two teams and state if you drop one, it must be the higher level.
Is that your situation?

That is super frustrating! Did the coach for the J1 team specifically tell you that the reason you're being kept is because you're reliable, or is that an assumption? I would double check that there's not any other reason you are being assigned to that team (like, for example, is the J3 team extremely competitive, and they can only take the best of the best? So while you may be advanced, they don't have enough spots for you?).

If it is literally just because the coach doesn't want to lose a dependable athlete, then you're right, that is very selfish and your mom should say something on your behalf. Make sure she keeps it civil, of course, but it definitely couldn't hurt to express your frustration and ask if being switched to a higher level team is a possibility. Like you said, even a J2 team would be a step up! As a last resort, if they really won't do anything about it, it may be worth it to look for other gyms in your area that would be willing to work with you, instead of holding you back. Best of luck!
She was placed on both the level 1 and level 3 teams.

I agree with others who have responded before me--you should request a meeting with the coach(es).

Now having typed that, I have a real-life story to convey. I recently had the opportunity and privilege to serve on a judges' panel for cheer tryouts for a junior high team. Of the 18 candidates, 10 had cheered the year before (and only 12 were ultimately selected for the team). Of those 10 returning athletes who tried out, 7 candidates ”phoned in" the entire tryout session--floor cheer, sideline cheer, and jumps (X, toe touch, and jump of choice). Each group practically whispered the cheers, motions were loosey-goosey, and their jumps looked as though someone poured concrete into their shoes.

So here’s my thought/suggestion: perhaps before you meet with the coach(es), you kindly ask if there is a video of your tryout, and if so, ask if you may please have a copy or a link to view it as many times as you wish. If you are able to view your tryout, please look at it with the eye of a judge and/or coach. Did you truly give 100%? Were your motions tight and sharp? Did you know the cheers? Was your voice loud and clear? Are your jumps performed with proper form (chest up, toes pointed)? And last, but certainly not least, are you smiling? Are you genuinely smiling because you’re so happy to have a chance to represent your school at sporting events? Is your goal to spread school spirit to your fellow students? I’m not stating at all that you "phoned in" your tryout; however, since I did just witness this occurring at tryouts for veteran cheerleaders the same age as you (less than a month ago), I think it’s an angle worth considering.

I’m very interested in learning how you ultimately handled your situation and the outcome. Wishing you nothing but the best. Cheers!

Back