All-Star That's Fake!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Same! i have mini abs (almost formed lol if i would stop eating so much junk food!) and when people see that im in shape they always ask what sport i play, and i ALWAYS say cheerleading. and people just laugh and i say noo im being serious. Most of my school has no respect for this sport, its sad :/

see, it is my glorious 6 pack that has helped me get people to respect the sport :) when the guys realize that a girl, and a cheerleader at that, has better abs then them, it apparently proves that we're a sport.... but hey, i'm not going to question it.

I wish people would come watch these cheerleaders before making comments. My cp is 9 has a 6 pack and is more athletic than her brother who plays football and baseball! I wish people would look past sideline cheer and see there is a whole other side to cheerleading. What other sport to you work your butt off, train for months on end, and have to look cute while doing it?????!!!!

sadly, even if people watched our competitions before they judged us, theyd probabaly be more surprised by the uniforms and "sexy" dancing then the actualy strength, flexibility, and stamina it takes to do the routines.

I agree. The average person takes one look at the big bows, which is sometimes bigger than the kids head, and thinks all star cheer is a joke. If you want to be thought of as a sport and get respect from people ouside of cheer than the kids need to look more like athletes than sexy dancer look alikes. IMO.

I'm blessed to be a Terp...so while i don't cheer here, when people ask what sport I play, I say "allstar cheerleading, its like comp. cheer" and their reactions are always super positive! I love our school and that they recognize cheer as a varsity sport! =)

I agree. The average person takes one look at the big bows, which is sometimes bigger than the kids head, and thinks all star cheer is a joke. If you want to be thought of as a sport and get respect from people ouside of cheer than the kids need to look more like athletes than sexy dancer look alikes. IMO.

I don't think of "sexy dancer" when I look at cheerleaders. I just don't see it. Do you cheer?

My mom used to describe all star cheer as competitive groups gymnastics routines. Needless to say I calmly (well not really calmly) explained to her that cheerleading is NOT gymnastics. There have similar elements, but the two are not one in the same.

When I get injured and hafta go to the doctor he (And people I meet while I'm in a sling) always asks me what sport I injured it doing, I always tell them that I'm a tumbler because when I tell them I'm a cheerleader I get no respect:(

So at what point do we draw the line? I love the glitter and bows and cute unis as much as the next person but should we at some point start to sacrifice that so we can gain some respect as a sport?

1. When I describe what my cp does, I always say "She cheers. But she does all star, not sideline. Think of it as dance + gymnastic tumbling + college stunting." People have usually seen all that on ESPN, so their reaction is typically "Oh, Wow!"

2. I think the bows & unis need to stay. Figure skaters have their bling and chiffon, and I've seen metallic leotards on gymnasts. It's part of the history of the sport and I really don't think all star (or cheer in general) would be taken more seriously if they wore shorts and a tee.

debbie said:
When My daughter gets an injury that needs to be looked at by a doctor I now tell them she does gymnastics style tumbling because when I used to say cheer they couldn't understand getting an ankle injury by waving pom poms! So ridiculous :(

My mom worked for my old ortho, and he saw a lot of cheerleaders come through his office. When I tore a ligament in my hand and asked if I could wear a brace and postpone surgery until after college nationals he basically rolled his eyes at me and mumbled something about "you cheerleaders." He pretty much got it...of course, my mom was sure to set him straight if he thought we were anything but athletes.

Haha..the comments make me laugh and think about the other night. I had two boys join my Senior 4.2 team and we've only had two practices so far, but we were conditioning and the boys were about to fall out. The boys came up to myself and the gym owner and said, "Cheerleading is a sport..we didn't think so at first...but it is!" They said they were sore for three days after tumbling for three hours....I love it! haha

yeah people think it's a joke and they're too ignorant to listen to us cheerleaders who know what we're talking about. just because we make it look easy doesnt mean it is. it's our job to make it look easy so we must be doing a great job!

Latest posts

Back