Thera Band Stretches.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 20, 2012
I just got a Thera Band and im really excited to use it to stretch with! Anyone know of any stretches I can do with it? Comment your stretches below, please :)

I love therabands. They can be really beneficial since they come in all different strengths, can be used in a multitude of ways, and are fairly cheap.

I am short on time because I am running a tumble clinic in about an hour. But I will write a few suggestions and build on them later when I have time.

They can be used to improve your jumps by strengthening your hip flexors. Tie loops at either end and attach them to your ankles. Balance on your left leg. With the right leg kick your leg diagonal as if you were jumping in a toe-touch. Do 15-20 reps on one side, then switch legs and repeat on the other. Similarly, that same exercise can be used for fliers to practice kicking in front of their bodies to work on their heel stretch.

With the band still around both ankles you can also improve the power of your "heel drive" to increase the power of your tumbling. Heel drive is important to increase the power in your roundoff and front tumbling skills.

With the band around your ankles, squat down with your hands on flat on the ground in front of you. Now straighten your legs so you are in a pike stand. From here, drive one leg up as if going to a handstand, but keep you support leg still on the ground. Slowly bring your leg back down to the support leg. Repeat 15-20 times and then kick with the other leg.

When doing that exercise, be sure that you are kicking up while keeping your hips square. The leg kicking should have the toe, knees, and hips all in line throughout the skill. If you turn your hip out, you will be working the incorrect muscles and get yourself in bad habits which could make your tumbling go crooked.

Anyways, thats all the time I have for now!
Hope that helps,
Coach Matt

I just realized your question said "stretches." I just want to note that although the drills I gave you are not static stretches like you were probably expecting. They will help improve the strength of the muscles that will bring your stretch through its active range of motion. In other words, by strengthening the muscles that help you lift your legs in a toe touch, your legs will be able to get higher.

I just realized your question said "stretches." I just want to note that although the drills I gave you are not static stretches like you were probably expecting. They will help improve the strength of the muscles that will bring your stretch through its active range of motion. In other words, by strengthening the muscles that help you lift your legs in a toe touch, your legs will be able to get higher.

Thank you very much! I will definitely try your suggestions!

Back