OT Thyroidectomy

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 14, 2017
Hi all,

I’m having my right thyroid removed at the end of August due to a pretty stubborn growth. I’ve been aware of it for some time but it’s only caused problems recently. It’s not cancerous or life-threatening, but it has recently become more noticeable so I’m choosing to have it removed.

Has anyone dealt with thyroid surgery before? What’s the healing time like? And the scarring? I think I’m most concerned that I’ll wake up and they’ll tell me they had to remove the entire thyroid (there are no plans to do that, but you just never know). And while that wouldn’t be the end of the world, it would mean HRT. Does anyone have experience with that?

If you haven't been tested for Celiac Disease, you might ask them to test you prior to surgery.

I had postpartum thyroiditis (hyper) and then when I hit pre-menopause, hypo. I began taking levothyroxine, which helps my TSH, but isn't doing anything for symptoms. Endocrinologist tested me further, I was deficient in several vitamins and was told I have Hashi's and CD. She said, CD was the root cause of my vitamin deficiencies and probably my thyroid issues, as well. I'm new to this gluten free thing, but I'm anxious to see if it helps.

It's boring reading, but might be helpful:
<Celiac Disease and the Thyroid>

I personally haven't had the surgery, though I'm related to a few who have had it, or similar. As far as the scar goes, you won't really notice it once it heals. They do a great job of having the incision on the crease lines of the neck/throat. Healing time is really like any other surgery.

Thank you!

Yeah I wish the scarring would go away a little faster, but so far it’s going fine. No changes in weight or moods, which was my big concern.

Life hack: walking around with a three-inch Joker scar on your neck gets you out of traffic tickets.

Back