Tiny Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 24, 2021
My youngest is 3 almost 4 and oldest is 6. Our gym said beginners were welcome and it's a large gym so there are ample teams to fit all levels. We just got done with tiny tryouts and team evals are this week. My oldest got put at the same time as my youngest. Everyone at her age had their backwalkovers and she only has a bridge almost kickover. I thought they'd be able to have a prep team at her level with other kids her age but it looks like everyone her age and above all have higher skills. My question is should I come back after she gets those skills as I don't want her to feel bad about being on a team with younger kids or is any experience better than none? Her team eval time has kids that are mostly 3 and 4 with a couple 5 year olds but she would be the oldest.

It sounds like she got placed in the appropriate eval group for her skill level. That doesn't necessarily mean those other 6 year olds won't be on her team. I don't advise pulling her from cheerleading based on her eval group, especially not at such a young age.

It sounds like she got placed in the appropriate eval group for her skill level. That doesn't necessarily mean those other 6 year olds won't be on her team. I don't advise pulling her from cheerleading based on her eval group, especially not at such a young age.
Thanks for the advise!

My youngest is 3 almost 4 and oldest is 6. Our gym said beginners were welcome and it's a large gym so there are ample teams to fit all levels. We just got done with tiny tryouts and team evals are this week. My oldest got put at the same time as my youngest. Everyone at her age had their backwalkovers and she only has a bridge almost kickover. I thought they'd be able to have a prep team at her level with other kids her age but it looks like everyone her age and above all have higher skills. My question is should I come back after she gets those skills as I don't want her to feel bad about being on a team with younger kids or is any experience better than none? Her team eval time has kids that are mostly 3 and 4 with a couple 5 year olds but she would be the oldest.
Don't stress. Team evals/call backs are a second look to determine best fit. They'll be strictly based on skill shown at tryouts. That doesn't mean the youngest will be on the same team (though they potentially may if the age grid supports it). Let them go through the process and see where everyone ends up.

I'm interested in what the results were!

Since both are new to the sport even if they end up on the same team with the older being with a handful of younger ones it will probably end up being a great experience

I'm interested in what the results were!

Since both are new to the sport even if they end up on the same team with the older being with a handful of younger ones it will probably end up being a great experience
Thanks for all the awesome responses and advice. Big sis ended up on tiny prep and little sis on tiny novice. I'm not sure where all those prep kids were during tryouts but I definitely didn't see them. It all worked out in the end and they both love their teams!

Back