Too Tall To Fly???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Tall people can fly too. I think a flyers body control, tightness, and flexibility matters more than their height.
This is very true. Some people prefer shorter flyers, but some of the best flyers in the industry like Ryan cummings and kenly pope are very tall and very amazing. I personally think tall flyers with there long legs look better in the air, it just looks so graceful.

Hi Cali Kate,

At 13, you are probably still cheering with girls who have barely started/haven't finished puberty yet. Itty bitty girls are just easier for flying purposes, but you might find that later on in high school things even out a bit more. I am 5'3.5" and I was a flyer in college. Some coaches like the look of taller flyers because our legs look pretty in stretches!

For now, I agree that you should take what position is offered to you, but if you are really passionate about flying you might consider upkeeping your skills with some all star flying classes or private coaching sessions. This way, you will be ready to fly if a position opens up later in high school or college.

I think it depends on your team, coach, and how tight you are. My daughter is SUPER tall- the tallest person on her all-star team (senior 3 co-Ed) AND school varsity team- and she’s a flyer for both teams (15, 5’9”, 118 lbs)

I really hate when coaches go only by height there is build and flexibility also involved. Not to mention gene pool Some of my bases were shorter than me but there is not any way i could base them with my tiny scrawny arms and legs. I loved my short girl bases they were beasts no joke. One thing i hate to see is when a girl really built to be a flyer isnt put in that spot when they are on the younger teams because they are a few inches taller. Then the girls they pick because they are shorter grow up too big to fly and then the one that should have been has learn. Crazy guess everyone has to learn all the positions at that point. I feel as a coach i would be looking at the girls parents to see what size they will be. If mom and dad are tiny chances are there kid will also be.

I really hate when coaches go only by height there is build and flexibility also involved. Not to mention gene pool Some of my bases were shorter than me but there is not any way i could base them with my tiny scrawny arms and legs. I loved my short girl bases they were beasts no joke. One thing i hate to see is when a girl really built to be a flyer isnt put in that spot when they are on the younger teams because they are a few inches taller. Then the girls they pick because they are shorter grow up too big to fly and then the one that should have been has learn. Crazy guess everyone has to learn all the positions at that point. I feel as a coach i would be looking at the girls parents to see what size they will be. If mom and dad are tiny chances are there kid will also be.

Genetics are not reliable in terms of predicting how tall a kid will be. Or whether they'd be able to fly.

Some kids are adopted.

Some kids have health factors that impact growth.

Sometimes genetics don't make sense. Example: My mom is 5'8. My dad is 5'9. My brother is 5'9. I am barely 5'0 as an adult and shorter when I actually cheered. Judging by my parent's height, I should have been an almost six foot beast backspot. Nope! Flyer.

Genetics are not reliable in terms of predicting how tall a kid will be. Or whether they'd be able to fly.

Some kids are adopted.

Some kids have health factors that impact growth.

Sometimes genetics don't make sense. Example: My mom is 5'8. My dad is 5'9. My brother is 5'9. I am barely 5'0 as an adult and shorter when I actually cheered. Judging by my parent's height, I should have been an almost six foot beast backspot. Nope! Flyer.
1.) Im not a coach im a parent but have cheered in high school. I meant to say if i was coaching. I see so many girls start as flyers but there parents look not look like they ever were a flyer. Not to judge and now like i suspected they would be they are bases. I keep my pretty thoughts to myself of course! My daughter was tall like i was growing up and now im only 5 ft 1in. They wanted her to base all the time and now shes a flyer. In my head im thinking told you so. When mom and dad are small kiddos probably going to be the same. Now im sure there are alot of other factors like you suggested but sometimes i feel like common sense has gone out the window. Funny, in youth teams you just dont know what your gonna get i guess!

1.) Im not a coach im a parent but have cheered in high school. I meant to say if i was coaching. I see so many girls start as flyers but there parents look not look like they ever were a flyer. Not to judge and now like i suspected they would be they are bases. I keep my pretty thoughts to myself of course! My daughter was tall like i was growing up and now im only 5 ft 1in. They wanted her to base all the time and now shes a flyer. In my head im thinking told you so. When mom and dad are small kiddos probably going to be the same. Now im sure there are alot of other factors like you suggested but sometimes i feel like common sense has gone out the window. Funny, in youth teams you just dont know what your gonna get i guess!
Not really sure why it matters though. If she was one of the bigger kids growing up, why would they have her as a flyer just because she would be smaller when she was older? That's the opposite of common sense to me. I'd much rather my kid be placed where she is needed and develop skills in all positions.

Not really sure why it matters though. If she was one of the bigger kids growing up, why would they have her as a flyer just because she would be smaller when she was older? That's the opposite of common sense to me. I'd much rather my kid be placed where she is needed and develop skills in all positions.
I agree with that! never said they shouldn't learn every position.

Back