All-Star #topoftheworlds - Usasf Has Big News On Monday??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can't see DI and DII teams competing in the same finals. Personal opinion - the more well-known normally scores higher with the same routine than the lesser-known - this happens in all sports that are judged. That and generally speaking you could have 15th place in DI score higher than 4th place DII. I would hope if there is a DI/DII announcement they are run as separate competitions and there is more prestige placed on the DI competition

My guess Division I and II rather than small gym/large gym for small senior and small coed. It was proposed last season and I remember seeing a statement from USASF saying they were postponing until this year so there was more time to plan for it. The teams they showed in the video makes me think this is happening this year. Having had a CP compete with a non-mega gym in the past I am all for it, especially with the mega-gyms continuing to expand to other areas of the country.
How would USASF determine who is in Division I and Division II?

How would USASF determine who is in Division I and Division II?
This is all hypothetical and I am answering with my wish and not fact - especially since we don't even know if this is happening - but size of gyms. However, a smaller gym could choose to compete DI if they felt they belonged in that division. I do hope if this is really happening that they take multiple gym locations into consideration and all locations are included in gym population. Otherwise you have a sandbag effect.

This is all hypothetical and I am answering with my wish and not fact - especially since we don't even know if this is happening - but size of gyms. However, a smaller gym could choose to compete DI if they felt they belonged in that division. I do hope if this is really happening that they take multiple gym locations into consideration and all locations are included in gym population. Otherwise you have a sandbag effect.
Agree. If you're part of the same organization, you compete in the same division. Otherwise there will be all kinds of moving people between locations to stack teams, esp. if a satellite gets to compete D2. If you're branded the same way as a partof that gym, you're all together....and you're all D1. No picking and choosing. You're either a part of that mega gym (regardless of location) or you're not.

I think if top 3 in each division you wouldn't need to let small gyms choose to compete in D1, bc they could win (or place) DII and then go win (or place) in the overall comp as well. The winners could still be "DII World Champs" and "DI World Champs" - it would just be more impressive to be the overall champion. And you wouldn't have to worry about strong smaller gyms wanting to move up, bc they'd still get their chance to prove they could hang with the big dogs.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm perfectly okay with a DI and a DII worlds.

Take, for instance, NCA College Nationals. My school, Providence College, is a Division I school for all sports, but we do not have football. We also have a total of 3,700 students. Until the All-Girl D1A (D1 schools that have FBS football are "D1A") and D1 split occurred in 2010, we had to compete against schools like Louisville and Maryland. My Friars, are, God love them (pun intended) never going to be at the level of a school like Louisville or Oklahoma State. Period.

While it's going to be a tough pill to swallow for some gym owners--which is not a bad thing--some gyms are going to be Division II gyms. This doesn't mean they're terrible gyms. Take Elmira College: they're a fantastic DIII school, they've got 1,200ish students, and they've got a talented cheer squad that places well at nationals. Could Elmira beat Louisville all girl? Probably not, but they also don't have Louisville's 22,000 students to choose from for a team.

Let's say it's the DI/DII split. Wouldn't this further hurt smaller gyms?

As it stands, they now give the illusion that they are competitive at Worlds because everybody is in the same division. They are competing with the likes of *insert gyms here* without necessarily being a direct competitor. You move people into splits, now what? Perception is everything.

Let's say it's the DI/DII split. Wouldn't this further hurt smaller gyms?

As it stands, they now give the illusion that they are competitive at Worlds because everybody is in the same division. They are competing with the likes of *insert gyms here* without necessarily being a direct competitor. You move people into splits, now what? Perception is everything.

But people still go to DII and DIII colleges for sports--how would this be any different? I'd rather win a DIII championship than come in last in DI.

The difference with college is that it's school. You're not solely going to that college because it has a good cheer team. You're going there because it's close to home, far from home, it's got a great business program, great teacher to student ratio, etc

With cheer, you can go cheer anywhere you want. If you want to move across the country go for it, it doesn't matter if your cheer gym has your major or not.

This isn't necessarily what I'm trying to say but I can't find the right words right now. Hopefully you guys get the gist of it lol

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back