All-Star #topoftheworlds - Usasf Has Big News On Monday??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A grand champion-type idea would be cool. But hard with their system of multiple judging panels.

i like the idea of having two winners for small gym and large gym. and it makes the most sense to me. but wont this make the attendance problem ten times worse, if they are gonna try and squeeze two worlds into one weekend.

My guess Division I and II rather than small gym/large gym for small senior and small coed. It was proposed last season and I remember seeing a statement from USASF saying they were postponing until this year so there was more time to plan for it. The teams they showed in the video makes me think this is happening this year. Having had a CP compete with a non-mega gym in the past I am all for it, especially with the mega-gyms continuing to expand to other areas of the country.

My guess Division I and II rather than small gym/large gym for small senior and small coed. It was proposed last season and I remember seeing a statement from USASF saying they were postponing until this year so there was more time to plan for it. The teams they showed in the video makes me think this is happening this year. Having had a CP compete with a non-mega gym in the past I am all for it, especially with the mega-gyms continuing to expand to other areas of the country.
now that I actually went back and watched the video I think you're probably right. Every gym in that video was a smaller program and/or not mega gym. It's odd to see a worlds video without one single second of the typical, CA, CA, CEA, WC, Rays etc etc so it was probably put together that way for a reason.

Not completely relevant but could be something to consider with respects to the Small Coed D1/D2 thing :

I do athletics and in most competitions over here we have an A race and a B race. A race is fastest athlete from each team, B race is the 2nd fastest athlete from each team. Both races are run separate and you get points for your placing, then the times from both races are put in order so everyone can see their overall placing.

Our reasoning for this is so that, for the most part, athletes are running with athletes of similar ability to them so it will be a good race and they can all push each other to win and get personal bests. It is difficult to be motivated to run your hardest and get a good time when before you start the race you already know you will be beaten badly.
Its not done so there are more winners or so its easier to win.

Obviously, understand there are differences for cheer because of scoring etc however this could be an insight into why USASF would consider this.

Not completely relevant but could be something to consider with respects to the Small Coed D1/D2 thing :

I do athletics and in most competitions over here we have an A race and a B race. A race is fastest athlete from each team, B race is the 2nd fastest athlete from each team. Both races are run separate and you get points for your placing, then the times from both races are put in order so everyone can see their overall placing.

Our reasoning for this is so that, for the most part, athletes are running with athletes of similar ability to them so it will be a good race and they can all push each other to win and get personal bests. It is difficult to be motivated to run your hardest and get a good time when before you start the race you already know you will be beaten badly.
Its not done so there are more winners or so its easier to win.

Obviously, understand there are differences for cheer because of scoring etc however this could be an insight into why USASF would consider this.
To play devil's advocate....

Then should be B race runner that wins receive the same "champion" designation as the A race runner...

It will be interesting. I see both sides of this issue honestly. I get the NCAA division I/II argument for football, but I also get that NCAA basketball doesn't do two National Champions for Div I and Div II in basketball, they all go to the same tournament. All Olympic teams (regardless of resources, population size or lack of ice in Jamaica) compete in the same competition....and some of those Cinderella teams do very well.

I think the only way I'm perfectly happy with a division split is if there's a showdown at the end between to the Dvi I/II world champions (NOT on the same day they just won outside on the baseball field, I felt terrible for those newly crowned champs that had to go again during finals), but I would be down with that as the "top of the worlds" because, honestly, I'd love to see a Cinderella Div II World Champ knock off a Div I World Champ for the "top of the worlds" title.

If that's how they're setting it up (if that's what Monday turns out to be) then I'm perfectly fine with the division splits as long as the winners face off at some point.

But what if I like it there? ;p

I was also thinking...take the Top 5 from each division and make that 'finals' for the Top 10. That way each side have an equal opportunity to get to finals.
That I could live with too if it just gets you ONE world champion at the end. Makes me wonder what Monday will look like since they cut bids by 1/3 you would think you could get it back to Friday-Sunday...unless the showdown is monday for all divisions.

On the other hand it sucks for the Jordan Weiber teams you know (likely) from Div I will outscore someone in the Div II top 5 and still not advance. That will be dramatic....

...or the fact the scoring isnt comparable across divisions which is a massive structural flaw. It's not a bad idea but if they don't fix the scoresheet to get rid of comparative scoring I see lots and lots of dramatic moments where teams from one division or the other got the shaft.

That I could live with too if it just gets you ONE world champion at the end. Makes me wonder what Monday will look like since they cut bids by 1/3 you would think you could get it back to Friday-Sunday...unless the showdown is monday for all divisions.

On the other hand it sucks for the Jordan Weiber teams you know (likely) from Div I will outscore someone in the Div II top 5 and still not advance. That will be dramatic....

...or the fact the scoring isnt comparable across divisions which is a massive structural flaw. It's not a bad idea but if they don't fix the scoresheet to get rid of comparative scoring I see lots and lots of dramatic moments where teams from one division or the other got the shaft.
Yes. Only one world champion in the end. Please and thank you.

If it is the DI/DII split, I wonder how that would affect the bid earning process if at all.
I thought about that, but honestly I don't think it would matter. Think about bids now. Basically all the Div I and Div II players got there. I could only see it being something they would want to divide among paid bids, but at large should remain a free for all and wouldn't likely change who ended up getting there. I don't think it would anyway.

To play devil's advocate....

Then should be B race runner that wins receive the same "champion" designation as the A race runner...

It will be interesting. I see both sides of this issue honestly. I get the NCAA division I/II argument for football, but I also get that NCAA basketball doesn't do two National Champions for Div I and Div II in basketball, they all go to the same tournament. All Olympic teams (regardless of resources, population size or lack of ice in Jamaica) compete in the same competition....and some of those Cinderella teams do very well.

I think the only way I'm perfectly happy with a division split is if there's a showdown at the end between to the Dvi I/II world champions (NOT on the same day they just won outside on the baseball field, I felt terrible for those newly crowned champs that had to go again during finals), but I would be down with that as the "top of the worlds" because, honestly, I'd love to see a Cinderella Div II World Champ knock off a Div I World Champ for the "top of the worlds" title.

If that's how they're setting it up (if that's what Monday turns out to be) then I'm perfectly fine with the division splits as long as the winners face off at some point.

There is a Division II basketball championship though... 2014 NCAA Men's Division II Basketball Tournament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What if they had small/large gym split and the winner of those divisions compete? It would be awesome if a small gym from anywhere,USA beat a mega gym. It would make for an exciting finish!!

Back