All-Star Transition Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 6, 2012
Hi,

Since september I'm coach of a team. Last year I was assistant coach, but since the head coach had to quit I took over for the last part of the season. Now this season I'm doing it all by myself, without the coach with a lot more experience. I think I have my routine figured out quite well overall, the only thing I'm stuck with are the transitions. I know they're important in making a routine look really good, so I want to use them well, but I find it quite hard... Do any of you have tips for good, clean or original transitions?

Thank you so much :)

Hi,

Since september I'm coach of a team. Last year I was assistant coach, but since the head coach had to quit I took over for the last part of the season. Now this season I'm doing it all by myself, without the coach with a lot more experience. I think I have my routine figured out quite well overall, the only thing I'm stuck with are the transitions. I know they're important in making a routine look really good, so I want to use them well, but I find it quite hard... Do any of you have tips for good, clean or original transitions?

Thank you so much :)
Rule number one is not to cross anyone over center unless it's a VERY creative or visual transition of some sort. I usually start from our elite stunt and work backwards to the opening, then forwards to the end. I think it's hardest to throw together random stunt groups for the elite stunt, so I keep those as they need to be and make the rest work, formation wise. I find that it's easier to map formations before you teach them so that you can be sure everyone is in a place that will be easy to move to/from.

I seriously spend hours doing my formations to ensure decent transitions. I think that some choreographers and coaches have it down to a science (Cheer Athletics). I'm not quite there yet, but my transitions usually look fine.

Have your kids move as little as possible. It's always tricky though, especially if not all of you raids are at level (I coach school teams). No one should be running across the floor to get to a new spot. If they can all get there in about 4-6 counts walking, you're doing awesome. Block out your hard part first with people and then work around that. If you do have 1 person who needs to move a lot (maybe they're not jumping cos they start tumbling sooner), have them move small and get the other kids doing something ASAP to distract from the last person.

Once your kids can move tight and clean while getting to their spot on time, I start to add in motions, seat rolls, etc to fluff up the routine. As a rule of thumb, I try never to have more than 2 counts go by without them doing something.

Another thing to try is videotaping the routine and watch (or have someone else watch) to see which kids draw your attention when moving. It might be that they are moving too far or doing the motions/run sloppy. From there see if you can change their placement to decrease the distance they are moving.

Back