All-Star Tryout Advice For Parents: Stay In Your Lane

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

oncecoolcoachnowmom

Bestest Newbie '14
Mar 2, 2014
I posted this awhile back in another thread but with recent conversations, thought it would help those of you who have stress over upcoming tryouts and where your kid is going to fit.

This is going to sound harsh but if you are a parent:

Stay in your lane.

Worry about YOUR athlete.

Do not obsess over/concern yourself with other kids and their skills, levels, etc.

I was just hanging out with the MS comp cheer coach who had a mom ask: "Do you know which 7th graders can already fly in a lib? In particular do you know if Meredith ____, McKenna ___ and Carly ___ can?"

Now I can see if you are friends with some moms from the team your kid wants and they give you a general scoop like "Everyone on R5 this past season already had their 2 to full." Or "all the incoming 6th graders can base libs." But going out of your way to scout out specific skills from specific kids is a bit much.

It's easy to get caught up in the comparison trap of:

"Do all the other 8th grade flyers have their half up lib? Omg she doesn't. We need to start privates."

"How many Y2s are working their tuck? She doesn't have hers yet. Ahhh!"

"Looks like everyone trying to make J5 takes privates with Jim. That's it. We're booking him 2x a week."

Don't worry about what tumbling your kid's friends have. What everyone her age has. What everyone on her team from last season can do. Which class they're enrolled in. Who they take privates with. Focus on your child.

Back