Twisting Into A Round Off?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 18, 2011
Maybe I've got this the wrong way round and is why I've got difficulties... But when you do a roundoff, are you meant to twist in the air towards the ground or when your hands hit the ground? I find that when I try a round off I either hurt my wrists or my hips. I'm presuming this is because I'm twisting at the wrong moment? I don't have a problem (much!) keeping my legs straight and I'm not really sure how to correct this - all I know is I'll never get my round off back handspring for comp this year if I don't sort this out soon!

When you place your hands on the ground. The hand on the same side as your hurdle leg should be pointed toward the side. The hand on the opposite side of your body should then reach around and try to point backwards. THIS will initiate the twist when you are in the middle of the skill (upside down on your hands). Hope that helps some!

OK, just got back from my gym practice and didn't really do much in the way of round off, but focused on back handspring for a bit. Generally I don't open my shoulders enough and don't give enough impulsion in my jump so I either landed and couldn't get over or I landed and collapsed. Tried it on the pacman and it got better, tried it on the trampette and nearly broke my nose... lol

So, any tips for opening my shoulders and keeping them open?

natnatnatnat said:
OK, just got back from my gym practice and didn't really do much in the way of round off, but focused on back handspring for a bit. Generally I don't open my shoulders enough and don't give enough impulsion in my jump so I either landed and couldn't get over or I landed and collapsed. Tried it on the pacman and it got better, tried it on the trampette and nearly broke my nose... lol

So, any tips for opening my shoulders and keeping them open?

Open shoulders is created by squeezing your arms in tight by your head, like in a perfect handstand. I tell my kids to try and reach behind their ears while keeping their head neutral for maximum stretch and blocking ability.
Have a spotter help you practice stopping in the handstand position when you practice bhs. It'll train you to hit that body position when you are upside down.

Thank you so much for posting this! I'm absolutely clueless about this as well. Everyone tells me something different and as we don't have a tumble coach, I'm really at a loss as I'm also still trying to fix my hollow body position (tend to arch my back) and block off the ground. I'm thinking and thinking and thinking and end up totally confused, head in a knot... ;)

I've read "open shoulders" quite a bit lately. Could you describe, what that means exactly? :S

Jule said:
Thank you so much for posting this! I'm absolutely clueless about this as well. Everyone tells me something different and as we don't have a tumble coach, I'm really at a loss as I'm also still trying to fix my hollow body position (tend to arch my back) and block off the ground. I'm thinking and thinking and thinking and end up totally confused, head in a knot... ;)

I've read "open shoulders" quite a bit lately. Could you describe, what that means exactly? :S

If you read the post above yours I describe open shoulders. But first, break down your round off (or if you need bhs help I can break that down too) into 3 parts. The hurdle, the handstand and the snap down.

The hurdle should have your arms UP by your ears and make sure you hurdle up and forward. It should feel like you've been pushed hard and if you tried to stop you'd stumble. Practice this over a folded panel mat (you should be able to step down on the other side after the hurdle). Next, Turn it longways and practice putting your hurdle foot down on the edge of the mat and placing your hands on the other end.

For the handstand (and twist) make sure you're kicking hard with your back leg and pushing hard through your front leg while reaching around with your hands. This initiates a good push through handstand and the reach will initiate the twist. The more you reach around the easier the twist.

The snap down should happen while your on your hands for maximum blocking (pushing off the ground through your shoulders). Make sure your squeezing your legs TIGHT together and using your Ab muscles to snap your feet down and stand up. When you come out of this, you should be standing up in a "candy cane" position. Your feet should be slightly in front of your body. If they're behind you, you won't get a good rebound (you'll fall forward) and even if you do get a decent rebound, you'll undercut any skill you attempt.
All 3 parts can be drilled seperately!

Hope this helps! I have a special place in my heart for athletes trying to coach themselves bc I've been there. If you ever need pics of anything you don't understand let me know!

Tbh pics of the three stages would be really helpful - especially the 'candy cane' position :eek:

Tbh pics of the three stages would be really helpful - especially the 'candy cane' position :eek:
9hjdhs.png

Candy cane--that is a drawing one of our coaches made. I couldn't find the picture of an actual rebound but I know we have one so I'm going to keep looking.
shoulders back. head neutral. arms up. feet slightly forward.

Nope you guys definitely aren't the only ones having trouble. My daughter is actually struggling with hers right now too. It seems strange too because she has skills more advanced than round off but she was 12 before having actual cheer or tumble instruction so lots of bad habits in the things she learned on her own. Now she has a backhandspring and is having to go back and correct her round off before she can connect them. She lands in a < position if that makes sense. Her feet and head/arms are way infront of the rest of her body. Not in a position to throw any skill lol. Lots of patience for all of us right now.

Nope you guys definitely aren't the only ones having trouble. My daughter is actually struggling with hers right now too. It seems strange too because she has skills more advanced than round off but she was 12 before having actual cheer or tumble instruction so lots of bad habits in the things she learned on her own. Now she has a backhandspring and is having to go back and correct her round off before she can connect them. She lands in a < position if that makes sense. Her feet and head/arms are way infront of the rest of her body. Not in a position to throw any skill lol. Lots of patience for all of us right now.

That (<) position is the most common problem in round offs. It's caused by not blocking through the shoulders. No matter how hard she snaps down with her legs, she has to get a good push off the ground to get her chest up. Squeezing her butt in super tight will help but that push is very important. Momentum and quick reflexes!

Thanks. I will give her your tips. Hearing things in a different way usually helps :)

Back