OT University In The Uk Vs University/college In The Us.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jan 2, 2012
I'm applying to university in a few weeks for 2015 entry and whilst I've been going though the application process I've started to wonder what's the same and different about university in America and the UK. Since there's always a lot of college talk on Fierce Board I thought this would be a great place to start!
For example:
  • In the UK, you have to write what's called a 'Personal Statement' no matter where you are applying and fill out one online application form that covers all universities.
  • Some degrees have interviews as part of the entrance criteria.
  • You get a limit of 5 choices.
  • Your place on a course is usually conditional depending on what you get in your A-Levels (final exams of Year 13/Senior year)
  • You have your own room with the choice of an en-suite bathroom and shared kitchen or shared bathroom and shared kitchen.
  • Most uni's have a rule that you can stay on campus the first year but after that you are encouraged to move into a house with your friends (although some allow third years back to stay on campus)
  • The first one/two weeks is known as 'Freshers Week' which is when you don't have classes (I think!?) and basically meet people, join societies and most choose to do a lot of clubbing.
  • Sports like rowing, football, athletics etc. are huge but cheer is on nowhere near the same level as America!
  • And obviously, no Greek Life (that I know of anyway!)
That's just a few of the points that I could think of off the top of my head! So I wondered how things compare! I get the impression that most colleges in America require you to have a roommate, what's that like? Also, since the legal age to drink alcohol is higher over there, is there much going out to clubs in your first and second years? Is your place dependent on grades/pieces of work you have to submit/interviews/something else?

I'm gonna respond in terms of 4 year-universities. We also have a lot of junior colleges/community colleges that are more 2-year places before you transfer somewhere for the last 2 years.

I think the key point is that there is SOOOO much variance between schools all over the country.
Pretty much everywhere that at least I applied to required some kind of essay/personal statement. There isn't one application for all schools, you have to apply to each school individually, which can mean writing several different essays. You also have an unlimited number of choices of schools you can apply to, but most cost money to apply to so it can add up.
Some degrees do require interviews, but not many.

Most schools require some kind of standardized aptitude exam (SAT and/or ACT) to get in and you have to get a certain score. That accompanied with your high school GPA, extracurriculars, essay, resume, etc is what determines whether or not you get accepted to a school. Some schools have extremely high standards, some schools anybody can get in to. The better schools typically have higher standards.

Dorm situations really vary from school to school. Many schools highly recommend freshmen to stay on campus, but it's not always required. Some schools prohibit freshman from having a car on campus, some don't have any rules. All of the schools I went to visit to had mostly 2 or 3 person dorm rooms, with the dorm being one room with all beds in that room and then either a shared bathroom with another 2 person room or communal bathrooms, where everyone on the floor shares one big bathroom with stalls and such. There weren't any kitchens in the standard dorms. But, there was also the occasional one person room, but those cost significantly more money. Most schools have a roommate survey system where you fill out a form of things you like/what your preferences are as far as staying up late, partying, etc and they will try and match you with someone who has similar interests, that doesn't always work though. I think living on/off campus after freshman year really varies between schools, at my school pretty much everyone lived off campus (not in a dorm) after freshman year. But I had friends at other schools who stayed in dorms until their senior year and that was normal.

Sports are huge at a lot of schools, especially D1 schools. People take football and basketball very seriously, like just as much as professional sports if not more. Some schools, sports aren't as big.

Greek life can also vary from school to school, some schools it's a big deal and others don't have any greek life at all. Clubs/bars/partying can also vary a lot. I went to the #1 party school in the country, so people were going to find ways to drink one way or another, plus most of the bars/clubs were 18+ to get in (obviously 21+ to drink, legally that is) so there was always something to do. But there are many schools where drinking/partying isn't as big.

Wow, sorry this is so long. I just really don't feel like doing school work right now lol.

• In the US, it depends per state how you apply to universities. Some you apply directly to the school online (private schools in particular), where as others have you apply to a state website (for example "apply texas") which includes all of your information, an application fee & your SAT/ACT scores.
  • Unless it is an extremely exclusive program, most do not require interviews or anything out of the ordinary to get in. Usually just a certain SAT/ACT score. It is possible to get into a college but not get into the degree program you want to get in to however (if you are late to apply or do not have the qualifications). The only thing I have heard interviews be required for are Ivy league schools or certain art programs where you need to submit a portfolio of past work.
  • No limit on school choices. You can send applications to however many you want to pay to apply for. Specific colleges will usually ask for your choice of what you want to major in and some may ask for top 3 choices. You would wait for the acceptance letter to see if you got your first choice in degree plan or not.
  • Your place in a regular college or degree program is usually dependent on your SAT/ACT scores and resume. Schools that are very competitive will look at not only the scores but also extracurricular activities, community service hours, achievements, etc. etc. etc. (Private schools may also look at if your family is alumni, donates to the school, your status in society, your demographics.......)
  • Regular college dorms are typically a small room with one other roommate. Some have bathrooms attached, some have suite style bathrooms (so 4 people share the bathroom, 2 rooms connected by bathroom) & some have community bathrooms. Depending on the school, you may have off campus style dorms (more expensive) to have your own room OR you can just live in an apartment to have your own room. Some schools require their freshmen to live on campus the first year, but many do not. Most schools don't really care where you live, as long as you go to class and pay them money. People can also commute to the school and live at home if they are from the area. I'd say on average though, people live on campus freshmen year & maybe sophomore year. After that they live in an apartment with friends, unless they are an RA (resident assistant....so they live in the dorms and get free rent because they handle all the resident problems...usually juniors & seniors that applied for the position)
  • The week before class starts is welcome week at many schools. Depends on the university though. My college had different events such as free movies shown, free pizza, an event where local businesses give away free stuff/advertising, an event where they talk about the school traditions, plus many of the large student organizations throw events on campus. Nothing on campus has alcohol (because underage kids)....in fact if you lived on campus you could not have any alcohol in your dorm at all unless ALL roommates in the room were over 21 (which was no one unless it was an RA dorm usually). You could be thrown out of the dorms since it is illegal to drink underage. Off campus apartments were not going to search your place for booze though, so if people really wanted to drink, they'd just go off campus. A lot of the "mommy and daddy aren't here, lets go wild!" freshmen will go out to the "dance" bars that are 18+ for the first week or two until they realize they actually have to study or they'll fail out. Guys will buy them free drinks or they will have older friends/siblings buy for them. Places that are straight up bars though are typically 21+, so unless they have a fake ID, they aren't getting in. The upperclassmen avoid the 18+ spots for the first few weeks because there are too many annoying freshmen around usually......
  • In summary, people that want to drink are going to find ways to drink whether it be off campus, through an older boyfriend, sibling, friend, through a fake ID, etc....If they get caught though, it is a big deal! Not recommended. The moral of the story is don't go out and do stupid things. It's not worth it.
  • Lots of different sports all the time. Depends on the school for what is "big"
  • Greek Life. % of student body that participates varies by school. It is big in the southern US, especially at certain schools.

We have the common app, which is an online application that can go to several schools, but not all schools use it. I'm applying to 6 and only 2 are on the common app. Intensity of the application varies greatly by school. Mizzou, Alabama, and Clemson, for example, were quick and easy, a short list of activities, general info (birthday, address, etc) and then the rest is based off your transcript and act. Other schools require essays, recommendations, and more detailed explanations of extracurriculars.
If you apply to honors it kind of evens out more - a lot of the schools who ask for a ton of info for acceptance just use the same info for honors college, whereas some with easy apps have intense honors college applications (clemson's has FOUR essays!)
It's honestly so different by school here that it's hard to generalize.

Most schools have two admission deadlines as well. It's been a good while since I was sending out college applications, but I generally noticed that applying by the early admission deadline (due early fall, hear back early winter) rarely required additional essays. It was pretty much a straight resume type deal, like applying for a job. Send transcripts, submit extracurriculars/leadership roles, etc. Sometimes there was a optional personal statement. Regular admission (due mid-fall/early winter, hear back in the spring) would sometimes require personal statements and a creative thinking/essay type question. Probably because the admissions department had more time to look over applications or something.

Just a general observation!

Most schools have two admission deadlines as well. It's been a good while since I was sending out college applications, but I generally noticed that applying by the early admission deadline (due early fall, hear back early winter) rarely required additional essays. It was pretty much a straight resume type deal, like applying for a job. Send transcripts, submit extracurriculars/leadership roles, etc. Sometimes there was a optional personal statement. Regular admission (due mid-fall/early winter, hear back in the spring) would sometimes require personal statements and a creative thinking/essay type question. Probably because the admissions department had more time to look over applications or something.

Just a general observation!

in addition to this, if you are applying to schools with early acceptances, look into their policies. some schools do "early action" and if you apply and get in, it means you will be attending their school. (there is some sort of "binding" contract involved.) i think one or two schools i applied to did that? it deterred me from applying for early acceptance even though i doubt there are any real consequences should you decide not to go there.

schools here are just so drastically different, it's hard to give you one answer. if there are any schools in particular that you are looking at, i'm sure we could help you with specifics! but even housing is dramatically different; you could be dormed in a small, cinderblock box with no A/C and 2 or 3 other people or you could be in a luxurious apartment with your own room with a full size bed and a kitchen.

I guess I will speak on behalf of the community college students!

-Community colleges are typically made up of a huge range of students (first time younger students, older returning students, those who already have a job, just getting another degree and many more)
-CC students are stereotypically seen as "I didn't get into a university so here I am for the next two years" for those who attend right out of high school.
-Many CC students right out of high school actually choose to attend to get their Associates degree (general education classes) which goes towards your major/bachelors degree. It's a great way to save money and is 100x easier than university even though you're taking the same exact classes (English, basic maths, sciences, ethics, ect.)
-There usually aren't a lot of clubs or major sports teams for CC's. I do know of a lot of great baseball/softball teams for CC's and of course there are schools like Navarro, that has their cheerleading program.
-Typically, CC students right out of high school live at home since CC's don't have dorms. But some students who want to save money or didn't get into their choice university will attend the CC closest to that University and will get an apartment. That way they are still part of the "freshman college experience".
-CC's are usually just 'in and out' students. I've attended two different CC's and both of them just have one cafe to eat and people typically don't meet up to hang out like a university. Most people have a pretty far commute (I drive 30 minutes) and once class is over, I head home.
-After two years or 60 credits, you receive your associates degree which makes your chances of getting into a university almost guaranteed, as long as you keep your GPA up :). Most students transfer to a university at that point to continue on to their bachelors for the last two years/last 60 credits.

ETA: I forgot that once you have your associates, what your grades were in high school don't matter! You also do not need to submit your SAT/ACT scores :) I never even took mine!

Last edited:
I guess I will speak on behalf of the community college students!

-Community colleges are typically made up of a huge range of students (first time younger students, older returning students, those who already have a job, just getting another degree and many more)
-CC students are stereotypically seen as "I didn't get into a university so here I am for the next two years" for those who attend right out of high school.
-Many CC students right out of high school actually choose to attend to get their Associates degree (general education classes) which goes towards your major/bachelors degree. It's a great way to save money and is 100x easier than university even though you're taking the same exact classes (English, basic maths, sciences, ethics, ect.)
-There usually aren't a lot of clubs or major sports teams for CC's. I do know of a lot of great baseball/softball teams for CC's and of course there are schools like Navarro, that has their cheerleading program.
-Typically, CC students right out of high school live at home since CC's don't have dorms. But some students who want to save money or didn't get into their choice university will attend the CC closest to that University and will get an apartment. That way they are still part of the "freshman college experience".
-CC's are usually just 'in and out' students. I've attended two different CC's and both of them just have one cafe to eat and people typically don't meet up to hang out like a university. Most people have a pretty far commute (I drive 30 minutes) and once class is over, I head home.
-After two years or 60 credits, you receive your associates degree which makes your chances of getting into a university almost guaranteed, as long as you keep your GPA up :). Most students transfer to a university at that point to continue on to their bachelors for the last two years/last 60 credits.
And a lot of CCs and Tech schools offer established bridge programs where you do two years at the first school, then move straight on to the bigger college or university to finish your degree. Great way to save money!

And a lot of CCs and Tech schools offer established bridge programs where you do two years at the first school, then move straight on to the bigger college or university to finish your degree. Great way to save money!
Yes! Tallahassee Community College has a TCC to FSU program (which is very popular).

Random question. But do you use those red cups at parties like in the movies?

yes! they do come in other colors, but SOLO cups are pretty standard for beer pong or just drinking. they're just the perfect thickness/width for drinking games lol

Random question. But do you use those red cups at parties like in the movies?
Random follow up story, but my ex back in 10th grade was from Germany and he was blown away by the fact that at a party we were at had red solo cups :p But yes, we use them and this song is completely relatable.

in addition to this, if you are applying to schools with early acceptances, look into their policies. some schools do "early action" and if you apply and get in, it means you will be attending their school. (there is some sort of "binding" contract involved.) i think one or two schools i applied to did that? it deterred me from applying for early acceptance even though i doubt there are any real consequences should you decide not to go there.

schools here are just so drastically different, it's hard to give you one answer. if there are any schools in particular that you are looking at, i'm sure we could help you with specifics! but even housing is dramatically different; you could be dormed in a small, cinderblock box with no A/C and 2 or 3 other people or you could be in a luxurious apartment with your own room with a full size bed and a kitchen.
Some schools now have two early admission offers:
Early decision is binding- if you get in, you are going. If you apply early decision, know what it entails. My dad's friend is a financial advisor for college and she has been helping me a lot with the financial side of applications. She warned me that since early decision is binding, you will most likely receive less financial aid/scholarships from that school because you are telling them you will go no matter what.
Early action, on the other hand, is not binding. You get all the perks of hearing back from the school earlier like early decision, but you don't have to commit to that school upon admission. You can still decide up to the national response date of May 1. Some schools offer special scholarship consideration only available to those who apply early action. I'm applying early action to one school, as they automatically consider you for one of nine full ride scholarships for all four years.

yes! they do come in other colors, but SOLO cups are pretty standard for beer pong or just drinking. they're just the perfect thickness/width for drinking games lol
AND, they are dishwasher safe! Reusing solos = classic broke college kid move

(edit - the classic, original solos are. Don't try this with the store brand knockoffs unless you want a dishwasher of melty plastic)

AND, they are dishwasher safe! Reusing solos = classic broke college kid move

(edit - the classic, original solos are. Don't try this with the store brand knockoffs unless you want a dishwasher of melty plastic)
Most of the thicker and/colored ones are dishwasher safe. The clear ones are never dishwasher safe.

Also popular with moms at the hang-out house when no one re-uses a cup from one drink to the next!

Back