OT University In The Uk Vs University/college In The Us.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
AND, they are dishwasher safe! Reusing solos = classic broke college kid move

(edit - the classic, original solos are. Don't try this with the store brand knockoffs unless you want a dishwasher of melty plastic)
Ahh, the college at-home science experiments. I distinctly remember many discoveries that used the microwave or a hot plate or hot pot.

Funny, when I read this thread title I first think "University of Kentucky (UK) vs all other universities in the US" and think it's going to be a huge drama thread.

here in cali we have two univeristy systems: University of California (10) and California State Univeristy (23). each system has a site where you can apply for any of them using one application.

• Your place on a course is usually conditional depending on what you get in your A-Levels (final exams of Year 13/Senior year)
by course, do you mean major? Major (academic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for example, majoring in engineering? if so, it depends on the major. for some majors such as the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) majors, you have to apply to the college/school within the university. just because you gain acceptance to the university, doesn't mean you are granted acceptance to the major in the College of Engineering. you have finish the pre-requisites at the university and have a certain grade standing before being accepted and being able to take major specific courses.

here in cali we have two univeristy systems: University of California (10) and California State Univeristy (23). each system has a site where you can apply for any of them using one application.

by course, do you mean major? Major (academic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for example, majoring in engineering? if so, it depends on the major. for some majors such as the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) majors, you have to apply to the college/school within the university. just because you gain acceptance to the university, doesn't mean you are granted acceptance to the major in the College of Engineering. you have finish the pre-requisites at the university and have a certain grade standing before being accepted and being able to take major specific courses.

Yeah I mean major! Interesting info!

It's great to see all these responses and how university education varies across the pond! I think lots of my friends would love to have an unlimited choice of schools! Another question, once you've applied, do you have to rank your choices? Once we have our offers we have to choose just two to make our 'firm' and 'insurance' choice.

Sending my application off this weekend! I want to study primary education with the hope of becoming a primary school teacher :)

It's great to see all these responses and how university education varies across the pond! I think lots of my friends would love to have an unlimited choice of schools! Another question, once you've applied, do you have to rank your choices? Once we have our offers we have to choose just two to make our 'firm' and 'insurance' choice.

Sending my application off this weekend! I want to study primary education with the hope of becoming a primary school teacher :)

if you are accepted to schools, you are accepted. you have a spot there. guaranteed. all that's left is to accept the acceptance by a certain date. if not, your spot will be offered to someone on the waiting-list.

following from that, there is also whats called a waiting-list. that means you have a conditional acceptance. if enough people who were accepted choose to decline, then you may be offered a true acceptance.

I will try to write this in english since I have no idea how some words are called in english but anyway.
In Slovenia kids go to primary school at age 6 (if you are born after september at age 5) and high school at age 15. The difference between US high school and ours is we can go to profession high school where they teach you about profession ( like you can become a doctor, economist, vet, hairdresser,...) and you have classes that works for you proffesion. Like I went to economics high schools and I had math, microeconomic, bank class and stuff like that. You can also go to regular high school but it's way harder and you have more chanses when you apply for college. The main difference between yours and ours college it's ours is FREE. Yes the goverment pays for it. But in some ways it's bad. So many people apply for college and don't make it and they are just signed up on college for few years and they don't go to classes and fail all the finals but they have status of the student which you can have a student job and have free insurance. The thing I hate about our college is we don't have campus. All of our faculties are spread across the town. So if you study economics you are in the other side of town from people who study adminisitration. And you don't get that student vibe. We also don't have game days. Yes there are some football matches but people usually don't go to watch it. Oh and I wish we woud have a greek life. IMO US college is waaay better than ours. And if I knew I have a chanses to go to study in US if I have good grades when I was little I'd work my butt of to be a good student and gett a schoolarship at any university. I don't care whic I just want to study in US so baaad.

The difference between US high school and ours is we can go to profession high school where they teach you about profession ( like you can become a doctor, economist, vet, hairdresser,...) and you have classes that works for you proffesion. Like I went to economics high schools and I had math, microeconomic, bank class and stuff like that. You can also go to regular high school but it's way harder and you have more chanses when you apply for college. The main difference between yours and ours college it's ours is FREE. Yes the goverment pays for it.

Profession High School sounds interesting, so can you finish with that and then go straight into the job/apply for the job you were trained for or do you still have to go to college? Ah, how wonderful it would be to go to university for free! I think we get it a little better in the UK than the US in that we don't have to start paying it back until we have earn a certain amount but I think there's more opportunities to get huge scholarships over in America!

Profession High School sounds interesting, so can you finish with that and then go straight into the job/apply for the job you were trained for or do you still have to go to college? Ah, how wonderful it would be to go to university for free! I think we get it a little better in the UK than the US in that we don't have to start paying it back until we have earn a certain amount but I think there's more opportunities to get huge scholarships over in America!

You can get tutition free in the uk but that is if it is funded through the NHS for most nursing and some paramedic courses
but urghh have fun with student finance............

I will try to write this in english since I have no idea how some words are called in english but anyway.
In Slovenia kids go to primary school at age 6 (if you are born after september at age 5) and high school at age 15. The difference between US high school and ours is we can go to profession high school where they teach you about profession ( like you can become a doctor, economist, vet, hairdresser,...) and you have classes that works for you proffesion. Like I went to economics high schools and I had math, microeconomic, bank class and stuff like that. You can also go to regular high school but it's way harder and you have more chanses when you apply for college. The main difference between yours and ours college it's ours is FREE. Yes the goverment pays for it. But in some ways it's bad. So many people apply for college and don't make it and they are just signed up on college for few years and they don't go to classes and fail all the finals but they have status of the student which you can have a student job and have free insurance. The thing I hate about our college is we don't have campus. All of our faculties are spread across the town. So if you study economics you are in the other side of town from people who study adminisitration. And you don't get that student vibe. We also don't have game days. Yes there are some football matches but people usually don't go to watch it. Oh and I wish we woud have a greek life. IMO US college is waaay better than ours. And if I knew I have a chanses to go to study in US if I have good grades when I was little I'd work my butt of to be a good student and gett a schoolarship at any university. I don't care whic I just want to study in US so baaad.
My high school had an option for nursing where you would take some classes your senior year and then only need a few more classes to get an LPN. I'm not sure of the exact length you would need beyond high school, but from my understanding it's a lot less than what it would had you not done classes in high school (6 months maybe?). Another high school in my city had something similar for car mechanics/maintenance. This is pretty uncommon though from what I understand, I wish it was more common here.

Back