College Veteran trying to get into college cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 13, 2022
Hello, I am a guy that is lining up going to a major university in the fall of 2023 and wanted to try out for a cheer team. I have no experience in cheer or gymnastics and my main trait is strength but my friend who did gymnastics and cheer in college said that would be a good base to start with. I would appreciate advice on what moves to practice and how to practice safely. Also how hard do you think it would be for me to get in to cheer with a year to prepare? Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Can I ask why cheer? it depends on university. Some are very good and hard to get on team even with years of experience.

Can I ask why cheer? it depends on university. Some are very good and hard to get on team even with years of experience.
Good point. Schools like Kentucky, Louisville, Morehead State, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, Ohio State, Texas Tech, Ole Miss and Oklahoma State look for cheerleaders with plenty of experience. Even non-competitive schools like Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and Auburn also look for experience. BTW, what college are you looking at, Svvet?

It completely depends where you want to go to College & Cheer. There are some that take guys with no experience.

My kids cheer for an SEC school and most of their guys are former high school football/rugby players with zero cheer experience. Many college programs care more about their game day than competition, so if you have a good attitude, know sports and can lift girls you will be a great addition to the program. Many of the current guys on the team have gotten their friends to join once they see how much fun they have on the sidelines at games and how much they are able to travel for football and basketball.

My kids cheer for an SEC school and most of their guys are former high school football/rugby players with zero cheer experience. Many college programs care more about their game day than competition, so if you have a good attitude, know sports and can lift girls you will be a great addition to the program. Many of the current guys on the team have gotten their friends to join once they see how much fun they have on the sidelines at games and how much they are able to travel for football and basketball.
Let me guess, is it Auburn?

Let me guess, is it Auburn?
no. And at the risk of sounding rude, your previous comment is in general, incorrect. There are very few college programs that prioritize winning a once a year national competition and although desired, most don't require that males have tumbling or even stunting experience. Not every school works the way your favorite does.

no. And at the risk of sounding rude, your previous comment is in general, incorrect. There are very few college programs that prioritize winning a once a year national competition and although desired, most don't require that males have tumbling or even stunting experience. Not every school works the way your favorite does.

Even those that do often have a couple of crazy strong guys that only stunt and don’t tumble.

BUT a school like Kentucky or UCF does IMO.

So, what school is it?

Kentucky and UCF would not turn away a guy like Kollin whose background was weight lifting before going to college cheer (was Weber now Texas Tech). Stunting is a big part of the scoresheet and strong guys help win.

There are hundreds of other college cheer programs besides those two, and even one of those programs could use a very strong guy willing to learn regardless of what cheer experience he has based on their most recent performances.

Back