OT Washing Smelly Gym Clothes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 14, 2009
How do you all get the smell out of your sweaty, disgusting workout clothes? Just washing them with detergent is not cutting it anymore. Ive tried washing them with baking soda too but no luck (maybe I'm doing it wrong). I've read a couple articles on the internet that had some options but some of them contradict each other... I was wondering if anyone has tips or tricks that work wonders for them. Especially for synthetic fabrics? Moms of the board, you guys gotta be pros at washing these things, right? Surely, if you know how to get bright red lipstick out of white uniforms you know how to defunkify clothes! :help:

I was prepared to write a song about baking soda until I read that you had tried it.

Here's a solution I found of Yahoo! Answers: "I restore vintage and antique garments that often smell. To remove odors, you have a couple of options. You can soak them in 2/3 cup of borax and add one cup of vinegar to the rinse water. You can add 1/3 cup of baking soda and the cup of vinegar in the rinse water, too. The vinegar dissipates with the heat of the dryer. For the most smelly of garments, I let them soak overnight and it works with either method every time."

Last edited:
Hmm so it seems that borax and vinegar are the way to go. Thanks guys, I knew the Fierceboard crew would know what to do.

I figured vinegar would help, I used it to get the soot and smell out of all my stuff when my dorm building caught on fire but I had to soak it and wash it about 4 times to get it all out. I didn't want to wash things 4 times just to wear it once. But I'll definitely try it out with borax and see how that works. The articles I read online didn't mention the borax part, only the vinegar and not leaving sweaty garments in a heap on the floor... which I'm guilty of, but I didn't think that would completely solve the problem.

And @Twinklestars - that is good to know for the next time I get fleas :p btw, what is Bac-out? Is it a detergent?

@Eyes On The Prize just saw this thread, but i use "No Sweat" detergent. sort of pricey, but it gets the job done. i buy it in bulk on amazon. i also like that its fragrance free since i have sensitive skin (though i think they also sell fragranced versions) and it's formulated specifically for the sweat-wicking, stretchy type fabrics for workout clothes. claims to prevent pilling, too, but idk about that.

at home i'd just throw my clothes immediately in the wash, but since i'm in an apartment now and have to pay $2 a load i try to hold off. so i usually just hang them on a hook in the bathroom to dry completely and then put them in the hamper. throwing them in a pile and never allowing them to fully dry is half the battle, i think.

Back