OT Ways To Avoid Forgetting A Language?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 25, 2010
hey ya'll :)

I am a double major in athletic training and spanish, and unfortunately all my classes required for spanish coincide with those for athletic training, and i will be unable to take any spanish classes next semester. This is very frustrating because I will not drop the major, they will have to find a way to work with me here. In the mean time, I'm really nervous I'm going to get rusty on the language.... heck from the time I took the AP exam to the time I took my placement exam for college I forgot alot, and it was only a few months. Those of you who study a language, what do you do over the summer months to keep fresh? I have the summer and alllllll next semester to keep up on spanish on my own....

peace, love, and happy cheering

showstopper

hey ya'll :)

I am a double major in athletic training and spanish, and unfortunately all my classes required for spanish coincide with those for athletic training, and i will be unable to take any spanish classes next semester. This is very frustrating because I will not drop the major, they will have to find a way to work with me here. In the mean time, I'm really nervous I'm going to get rusty on the language.... heck from the time I took the AP exam to the time I took my placement exam for college I forgot alot, and it was only a few months. Those of you who study a language, what do you do over the summer months to keep fresh? I have the summer and alllllll next semester to keep up on spanish on my own....

peace, love, and happy cheering

showstopper

Watching movies in another language helped me remember. Also maybe if you tutor some kids over the summer a couple times a week. I know some places they have summer camps and if you go to them to offer your time maybe like an 1hr 2 days a week.

You just need to Work! Trabajar, trabajar! :)

Kidding, but even though it sounds silly, go to Spanish restaurants and order in Spanish. Wherever you go, dr's office, hospital, read the signs in Spanish. Browse Spanish websites. Watch univision. I have a co-worker that learned to speak fluently because she liked a guy who spoke Spanish, and those are things that she did to learn.

I had a Welsh friend at uni and any books she read in her spare time she would read the Welsh edition. That way she combined something she did for pleasure with practising the language.

speak it all the time.. when i was in spanish... i mean.. i liked spanish and i'm good at it.. but i speak it all the time just because.. when i'm doing dishes i say the names of everything and talk about them in spanish i text / talk to people in spanish who don't know...but should know, what i'm saying. gotta make it second nature

I like the tutoring idea! I actually had the same thing between HS and college..I took spanish 1-3 in high school 8th-10th. Haha luckily I knew I would be taking Spanish 200 in college so I kept my notes/flashcards etc. together and they were very helpful last semester in Spanish :) I think the most difficult part for me was vocab, but there are tons of fun websites to quiz yourself and even create your own flashcards (I used them for verbs too). Just devote a little extra time here and there to refresh yourself and of course speak it every now and then will help too!

Practicar!! Hehe :) Practice makes perfect. Try switching the languages of websites (that have that feature) from English to Spanish. Eat Spanish foods and order in Spanish. Trabajar! Trabajar mi amiga!

Many times places like Barnes & Noble or the local library or a coffee shop will have a "Spanish table" or "French table" that combines native speakers with learners, for practice. Also, maybe volunteer at a center to work as a translator (med centers usually need them)....plus it's also a great volunteer activity to put on your resume!

cell phone in spanish, facebook in spanish, harry potter in spanish, subtitles on tv in spanish, putting flash cards on household items in spanish....

some of the things i used to do to keep up with french

Back