High School Well...it Happened...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Us coaches got so fed up with attitudes yesterday that we almost packed up our stuff and put them back on the bus to competition and went home.. They turned their day around but we got so fed up with this crap all effing season.. Yesterday a girl was sitting in her seat on the bus and was actually asked to get up and move so this girl could sit with her friends and we were not having any of that! I can handle a little drama here and there, but we have had something from start to end of the season.. Its exhausting!
Sounds like it's time to get mean... 1st issue is a warning, 2nd means getting kicked out of practice. Not sure what you guys have in place already though, so maybe the suggestion isn't needed.

Sounds like it's time to get mean... 1st issue is a warning, 2nd means getting kicked out of practice. Not sure what you guys have in place already though, so maybe the suggestion isn't needed.
We have been pretty stern all season, something is just not clicking with them. We sent out strict guidelines for competitions and how to walk in and how to dress and yet some still walk in with slippers on and NOT their warm up.. one girl walked in with zebra print pj pants on and we were like what .. We told them to leave their phones upstairs and 3 girls still brought their phones?

and that was the point where we pulled them aside right at comp and were like .. we will go home right now and not compete.

OMG I'm both happy (for myself) and sad (for you guys) but I thought I was having the roughest season ever. I'm at a new program this year and I'm just not "clicking" with the team. Their coach from before was very much a "friend" and would constantly get into their life drama and let the older kids run the show. This year with the new rules and new coach it's been a struggle! I swear there is so MUCH drama I've never coached a team that is so determined to tear each other down. Over 3/4 of the team currently is junior/seniors so I'm hoping after her kids have all graduate the kids who came in as underclassmen with me and know what I expect will change the program dynamic around because this football season was tough for me to stick it out with these kids.

OMG I'm both happy (for myself) and sad (for you guys) but I thought I was having the roughest season ever. I'm at a new program this year and I'm just not "clicking" with the team. Their coach from before was very much a "friend" and would constantly get into their life drama and let the older kids run the show. This year with the new rules and new coach it's been a struggle! I swear there is so MUCH drama I've never coached a team that is so determined to tear each other down. Over 3/4 of the team currently is junior/seniors so I'm hoping after her kids have all graduate the kids who came in as underclassmen with me and know what I expect will change the program dynamic around because this football season was tough for me to stick it out with these kids.

This was me last year to a T. Came into a team where the seniors ran it and the old coach hung out with the girls and was friends with them. So I came in, strict and with rules, and they flipped. Lead a revolt to try and get me fired, made me cry all the time, but I never let up. You gotta stick through it and now that I'm in my second year all the bad attitudes are gone and life is a joy. All my terrible seniors graduated and I didn't have any juniors come back, so my team is really young this year, but they know the expectations and are rising up to them. Get through year one and it's worth it. Definitely still have team drama, but you can work through it more and just kick kids out if they're being annoying. I was too scared to do that last year, and it made life terrible.

This was me last year to a T. Came into a team where the seniors ran it and the old coach hung out with the girls and was friends with them. So I came in, strict and with rules, and they flipped. Lead a revolt to try and get me fired, made me cry all the time, but I never let up. You gotta stick through it and now that I'm in my second year all the bad attitudes are gone and life is a joy. All my terrible seniors graduated and I didn't have any juniors come back, so my team is really young this year, but they know the expectations and are rising up to them. Get through year one and it's worth it. Definitely still have team drama, but you can work through it more and just kick kids out if they're being annoying. I was too scared to do that last year, and it made life terrible.
Agree. You couldn't pay me enough money to relive year one. It's always an adjustment if you take over a program that isn't structured.

It's nuts to me what people will put their heads together to do. Like, they couldn't just work hard and try to improve, but they'll try to get you fired? It's comical.

We have been pretty stern all season, something is just not clicking with them. We sent out strict guidelines for competitions and how to walk in and how to dress and yet some still walk in with slippers on and NOT their warm up.. one girl walked in with zebra print pj pants on and we were like what .. We told them to leave their phones upstairs and 3 girls still brought their phones?

and that was the point where we pulled them aside right at comp and were like .. we will go home right now and not compete.
That's frustrating. The zebra pants thing made me itch, LOL. Have you noticed a behavioral turnaround since the competition?

It's nuts to me what people will put their heads together to do. Like, they couldn't just work hard and try to improve, but they'll try to get you fired? It's comical.

That's frustrating. The zebra pants thing made me itch, LOL. Have you noticed a behavioral turnaround since the competition?

Yeah I wanted to die. I was so embarrassed. What's the point of buying a warm up if you aren't going to wear it ?!?
And the comp was yesterday so we will see how this coming weekend goes as its our state championship ! After yesterday we are actually considering typing up a paper and sending it home because I guess our emails aren't effective lolol

Yeah I wanted to die. I was so embarrassed. What's the point of buying a warm up if you aren't going to wear it ?!?
And the comp was yesterday so we will see how this coming weekend goes as its our state championship ! After yesterday we are actually considering typing up a paper and sending it home because I guess our emails aren't effective lolol
For next season, if necessary, I suggest that you enforce a new rule: anyone who doesn't come dressed as ordered, doesn't perform. If it means things must be marked/watered down, then so be it.

For next season, if necessary, I suggest that you enforce a new rule: anyone who doesn't come dressed as ordered, doesn't perform. If it means things must be marked/watered down, then so be it.

Forget next season, nip in the bud now. Anyone who doesn't show up to states dressed as ordered, sits. Yes, you may end up watering it down and making last minute changes, but you are setting an example and following through and making next season all that much easier.

Forget next season, nip in the bud now. Anyone who doesn't show up to states dressed as ordered, sits. Yes, you may end up watering it down and making last minute changes, but you are setting an example and following through and making next season all that much easier.

Thanks ! We will definitely be enforcing some new rules for States and next season. Unfortunately its always the same couple girls. One time on our way to camp we asked them to put their shoes on on the bus and this girl didn't listen so when everyone was ready to take the team photo she was up on the bleachers putting her shoes on and we had to wait for her - we called her out but, we are going to start enforcing punishments I think

Thanks ! We will definitely be enforcing some new rules for States and next season. Unfortunately its always the same couple girls. One time on our way to camp we asked them to put their shoes on on the bus and this girl didn't listen so when everyone was ready to take the team photo she was up on the bleachers putting her shoes on and we had to wait for her - we called her out but, we are going to start enforcing punishments I think
Unless and until there are consistent consequences, things like this will continue. As long as they can get away with it, they will continue to do it. I'll be honest. Its going to take making some tough decisions on your part, losing a competition because you sat someone, or even removing someone from the team, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Unless and until there are consistent consequences, things like this will continue. As long as they can get away with it, they will continue to do it. I'll be honest. Its going to take making some tough decisions on your part, losing a competition because you sat someone, or even removing someone from the team, but it will be worth it in the long run.
Absolutely.

Back