OT What Did You Go To College For?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I typically use a good text editor with syntax colouring and firebug to test changes.

I use Visual Studio because I'm doing heaving programming alongside the HTML. I actually haven't used Dreamweaver in years, but when I was in college and managing a static website, it made it easy to quickly change and style text.

I love firebug too though. Definitely a must have.

I use Visual Studio because I'm doing heaving programming alongside the HTML. I actually haven't used Dreamweaver in years, but when I was in college and managing a static website, it made it easy to quickly change and style text.

I love firebug too though. Definitely a must have.
I mostly do php and html development and i'm to cheap to purchase a visual studio license.

We had to use dreamweaver in college as well, lots of us used notepad to make things work more consistently

how many years of school does this take?
4 for bachelors and then you've got to do 2 years of clinical in a hospital scene and 2 more years of anesthesia. so six years of schooling 8 years total theoretically speaking. honestly i think its a great career choice you've got only 6 years of school and starting pay in east bum ville, Maine is $140,000 a year.

Ashley
Well thats just confusing :oops:

Yes, sorry for the confusion! We don't have information technology at my school so we don't usually have to worry about the similar names.

Industrial Technology
The BS in Industrial Technology prepares students for careers that involve working with people and technology concurrently, particularly in settings where innovation and change are involved. Employment can be found in a variety of industries – manufacturing, communications, transportation and biomedical – but particularly in businesses and other organizations involved in global relationships and the implementation of new product or process technologies. Positions that graduates secure are quite varied – industrial sales, facilities management, production, quality management, packaging, supplier relations. In addition to foundation courses, there are three themes that are woven together within the coursework that is required of all IT majors: packaging; value chain management; and technology entrepreneurship. Packaging courses provide students with knowledge and hands-on experience in packaging design, testing and production. Courses in the value chain management area focus on supplier relations, distribution, operations management and related quality management. Technology entrepreneurship course materials address issues of product design, venture development, and new business strategy.

- Cal Poly Orfalea College of Business

I graduated with a BA in Political Science with an Associates in Paralegal Studies (it came with the degree). I also have a minor in History. Eventually I plan on attending Law School, but I really wasn't ready to dive into it right after undergrad. I interned with a judge one summer, helped with the Obama campaign, and then once a week interned with a state representative for a semester. Government and law is my passion. I was lucky enough to land a job with the DoD and work at Ft. Benning with connections and networking. My job has little to do with my actual major but I love it and it gets my foot in the door when it comes to Government jobs (AMAZING benefits).
My parents tried to get me to change to a major in the medical field because of the amount of jobs out there for it, but I refused to study something that I had no passion about. I wouldn't trade my degree for anything and I got to study things that truly interested me. I never had a class that bored me and can say that the things I learned will stay with me forever.
My aunt spent a good 7 years getting her Accounting degrees (up to a Masters) only to realize that she hated it and didn't make squat at the job she had. She decided to take an 18 month program to become an Echo Tech and absolutely loves her job. She makes more money then she did with her Masters and has better benefits. It sometimes doesn't matter how long it takes to get the degree as to how much you will make or what the benefits will be. Make sure you are doing something that you truly love because if you don't then you will hate waking up to go to work every day.

For basic websites, I like dreamweaver to quickly edit content - like text. But yeah, using it to make your website for you is a terrible idea. I just write all of my HTML by hand.

I feel like dream weaver totally limits your creativity, if that makes any sense. I can do so many more things when coding by hand!

how far in are you? I'm starting my freshmen year of college in the fall. What's it like? haha

Not terrible lol but Definitely takes up ALL of your time though! Make sure it's really what you want to do because the hours really take a lot out of you once clinicals come around. I love it though :)

Has anyone ever heard of Information Science? When I toured my school this fall we each had to choose a workshop to go to about possible majors and the Computer Science professor talked about it for a little bit. All I can remember is something about icons and symbols and what they mean...My dad told me that I might want to look into that instead of Computer Science because it requires less math.

Not terrible lol but Definitely takes up ALL of your time though! Make sure it's really what you want to do because the hours really take a lot out of you once clinicals come around. I love it though :)
yeah im pretty positive i want to do it. being around blood and guts is fascinating to me and I love helping people. plus it makes excellent money :)

I like the computer geek talk on here. (Love me some jsfiddle.)

For the record, communication degree and working on my MS in Information Systems.j

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Can you explain a little more about what Information Systems is?

I feel like dream weaver totally limits your creativity, if that makes any sense. I can do so many more things when coding by hand!

You can write HTML by hand in Dreamweaver too. I prefer using some sort of IDE instead of just notepad, but the design view of Dreamweaver is terrible.

As for your other question - think about what you want to do after graduation - if you don't want to be a software engineer/programmer, then you're probably find not doing CS. But I would be wary of majors/programs that aren't too well known.

I don't know what Information Science is, but I know what Information Systems is as a major and I think it tends to get the (possibly unfair) rap of "fake computer science."

Back