Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs Work

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
Aug 9, 2014
Hi, guys!

I am new here, but I wanted to get some opinion from you guys! Some dancers and I have put some choreography together for the Worlds hip hop division. We just want to come out there and give them a little taste of our style of hip hop. Please comment and let me know what you think. Thanks! This is just a small portion of it, we have more to work on. Opinions are welcome!

Loved it. It was very clean, and I don't know what your other parts look like, but I would try to add some over-the-top tricks--the hip hop division at Worlds is a very intense one, and the teams are likely to bring something unexpected.

Great job and good luck!

out of curiosity, which division are you planning on getting a bid for? my gym has teams competing in every hip hop division.

Its a great start! The mention above about tricks was pretty spot on though.....the teams in this division do some pretty crazy stuff typically. It has to be robot clean, hard hitting + lots of innovative visuals/tricks to get into the top 5. Since this still is the "cheer - dance" worlds, you are going to see lots of lifts and flips within the safety rules (headsprings, handsprings, walkovers, rolls, assisted backflips, backbends, moves from breaking, etc)

Examples from past years to give you an idea of the "trick" emphasis:
Norwegian All Stars | Dance Worlds 2014 (Semi Finals) - YouTube - trick heavy routine, 2nd place
DSF Brilliants: International Open Hip Hop Worlds 2010 Champions!! (Japan) - YouTube -less emphasis on the tricks but still had some cartwheels, etc to get "difficulty"....Japan always comes out strong with their hip hop technique and choreo though
Extreme Allstars Senior Hip Hop 2013 World Champions! - YouTube -senior division, again trick emphasis
Extreme Allstars International Open Coed Hip Hop 2014 - YouTube -int coed division, yep....they are flinging them across the stage

Even for the Team USA representation at ICU (competition with one team per country, prior to the dance worlds competition) they really make sure to put in a good amount of tricks:
TEAM USA Hip Hop Worlds 2014 - YouTube
Team USA Hip Hop ICU 2013 - YouTube

So in summary, keep workin' on the fun choreo, but make sure to get some trick elements in your routine to be able to compete score wise. There will be teams there doing what seems like 500 headstands in one routine:rolleyes: but they will get the difficulty and creativity points...

Its a great start! The mention above about tricks was pretty spot on though.....the teams in this division do some pretty crazy stuff typically. It has to be robot clean, hard hitting + lots of innovative visuals/tricks to get into the top 5. Since this still is the "cheer - dance" worlds, you are going to see lots of lifts and flips within the safety rules (headsprings, handsprings, walkovers, rolls, assisted backflips, backbends, moves from breaking, etc)

Examples from past years to give you an idea of the "trick" emphasis:
Norwegian All Stars | Dance Worlds 2014 (Semi Finals) - YouTube - trick heavy routine, 2nd place
DSF Brilliants: International Open Hip Hop Worlds 2010 Champions!! (Japan) - YouTube -less emphasis on the tricks but still had some cartwheels, etc to get "difficulty"....Japan always comes out strong with their hip hop technique and choreo though
Extreme Allstars Senior Hip Hop 2013 World Champions! - YouTube -senior division, again trick emphasis
Extreme Allstars International Open Coed Hip Hop 2014 - YouTube -int coed division, yep....they are flinging them across the stage

Even for the Team USA representation at ICU (competition with one team per country, prior to the dance worlds competition) they really make sure to put in a good amount of tricks:

So in summary, keep workin' on the fun choreo, but make sure to get some trick elements in your routine to be able to compete score wise. There will be teams there doing what seems like 500 headstands in one routine:rolleyes: but they will get the difficulty and creativity points...
Sounds good! This is just the first sequence to the routine, but there is an opening that we are working on that contains a few tricks (can't show it, but would love to, lol!).

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Team USA 2013 is easily my favorite collegiate style hip hop routine of all time. The shirt changing was BOMB

Back