All-Star What Does The Usasf Do?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Technically, this is not correct. There were two years for proposed rules. Then voting (which was only about 4 months ago), then recommendations, then final approval.

Not trying to excuse the delay, but don't make it worse than it actually is.
I'm really not trying to make it worse I just think there is no excuse to have new rules after a season (or even tryouts) has started

I completely get you. I feel like a lot of frustration comes from the confusion of the general public. People get frustrated with cheerleading because of exactly what you said. Rules changing, decisions being made with no explanation or rhyme or reason. Plus there's no easy way to access or sort through this information. I still don't completely understand this whole athlete release thing, it's policies, or when it goes into effect. I've also come to question the whole gym accreditation thing. How true is it? All all the coaches in this building certified? Honestly, I'm not sure I could give you an accurate definition of what the USASF does, other than make rules, and to me that's not right. Everybody should be able to tell you exactly what their governing body does. Im sure gymnasts could tell you exactly what USAG does. Do they enforce rules, what is and is not under their jurisdiction? How much is left up to EP's?

. So basically they can make the rules...but won't have any part in mediating how they're handled???

For example at a USASF sanctioned event, which was outdoors, there were teams warming up stunts on concrete or grass. USASF rules state this isn't allowed and all participants must practice on correct performance surfaces. But nobody stopped them, even though there were multiple event staff within 10 feet. So whose job is it? The USASF wasn't there to say anything, and the EP did nothing. So nothing got done. But someone could have died.

It seems like everyone passes the responsibility off to someone else, and in turn nothing EVER gets done about it. Don;t get me wrong, we've come a long way, but we've got a long way to go to achieve sport status

Do they enforce rules, what is and is not under their jurisdiction? How much is left up to EP's?

For example at a USASF sanctioned event, which was outdoors, there were teams warming up stunts on concrete or grass. USASF rules state this isn't allowed and all participants must practice on correct performance surfaces. But nobody stopped them, even though there were multiple event staff within 10 feet. So whose job is it? The USASF wasn't there to say anything, and the EP did nothing. So nothing got done. But someone could have died.

It seems like everyone passes the responsibility off to someone else, and in turn nothing EVER gets done about it. Don;t get me wrong, we've come a long way, but we've got a long way to go to achieve sport status

I would like to see more local USASF representatives. If we have any in our state I have no idea who they are and I've been coaching and following the USASF since it's inception. I don't know everything or everyone, but I do think I would have found this person if they existed. How can coaches be certified without having to travel to a major event or destination city? How can competitions be monitored? It's up to us to police ourselves and each other right now.

Technically, this is not correct. There were two years for proposed rules. Then voting (which was only about 4 months ago), then recommendations, then final approval.

Not trying to excuse the delay, but don't make it worse than it actually is.

I readily admit that I don't know anything about the behind the scenes stuff but I think you and I are on the same wavelength. I'm in no way trying to make it "worse than it actually is". I know that the voting was only a few months ago. But if the cycle is every two years... the thought processes behind the rules (and, in my opinion, much of the groundwork that needs to go into investigating the pros/cons and language of proposed rules), could be done within those two years... not just after the voting---if that is what is going on now (and again, I admit that I have no clue if this is what is causing the delays or what?).

Again, I know that all of this is a lot more tangible (for lack of a better word) for those of you who are actively involved. For those of us who are just parents--- the whole process is very "mysterious" and "confusing". When I take my children to try-outs and sign them up (which does require signing a contract at many gyms in our area) I want to make sure that we are following the rules and that no proposed rules are going to impact my children or my children's gym "after the fact".

Specifically what I am hearnig from other parents is that I think that the "release rule" did impact a few World's athletes this year and hearing that a similar situation may be put into force for all levels 1-4 makes many wonder "how will this be written specifically and how will it affect me?"

I remember the days before USASF also and I'm quite happy that we now have at least some sort of regulations. Specifically, the age divisions and skill levels have done the most for all-star cheer (besides the certification of coaches--which I've only had my certification ONCE in 2007 b/c it is impossible to find anyone to give you the test around here!). I think they allow too many voices to be heard and, of course, some voices are WAY louder than others.
They have a tough job and I'll do my best to support the organization because we definitely need it, but we also need watchdogs in place to make sure those in power are using it responsibly and to the benefit of the majority.

Raymond Williams is the Louisiana rep. (http://usasf.net/contact/staff/?id=295). He judges a lot so getting him during the competition season is challenging, but getting something set up during the summer should be easy. If you can't get him let me know. I'm in MS and we may be able to set up something.

I would like to see more local USASF representatives. If we have any in our state I have no idea who they are and I've been coaching and following the USASF since it's inception. I don't know everything or everyone, but I do think I would have found this person if they existed. How can coaches be certified without having to travel to a major event or destination city? How can competitions be monitored? It's up to us to police ourselves and each other right now.

There isn't more USASF staff because there isn't any money to pay people. Requiring athlete membership and charging for it would be a step towards having the resources to get more people.

To Acedad and Andre, although I don't always agree with you I want to thank you both for always being available on these boards to answer questions. I believe you both r trying to improve the way things r being done :)

Raymond Williams is the Louisiana rep. (http://usasf.net/contact/staff/?id=295). He judges a lot so getting him during the competition season is challenging, but getting something set up during the summer should be easy. If you can't get him let me know. I'm in MS and we may be able to set up something.

Fantastic! Thank you for letting me know this!!

To Acedad and Andre, although I don't always agree with you I want to thank you both for always being available on these boards to answer questions. I believe you both r trying to improve the way things r being done :)

Thank you. We (@Acedad and I) often don't agree with each other either, but have some great conversations.

Very nice to say. Thanks.

Thank you. We (@Acedad and I) often don't agree with each other either, but have some great conversations.

Meaning, Andre is often wrong. :D j/k we have had some good discussions.

Back