All-Star What Is Elite?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2011
So what makes a stunt elite anymore?
Back in 08 a hitch up and a full up could earn you the worlds title, but now thats your generic level 4 stunt.
And @FamousRudags said in the sneak peak thread that an elite stunt is something more than a full and a half up and a power press tick-tock (sorry to call you out, I don't necessarily disagree, it just gave me this idea ;)).
So I'm just curious, what makes a stunt elite anymore? Is it ball up 360's? Multiple tick tocks?
What is standard and what is expected of level 5 now?

I think if a sequence had a full twisting turn somewhere and a tick it toc, with multiple body positions it could be called a elite.

According to varsity:

Definitions and Examples of "Advanced" and "Elite" skills
Advanced Stunting Skills include Elite Stunting Skills include
(but are not limited to): (but are not limited to):
Extended One Leg Stunts Full Up to Extended Position
Minor Releases to prep level or below Major Tick Tock variations
Inverted trans to Prep Level and below Inverted Transitions to an extended position
Walking stunts/Turning stunts 1 1/2 - 2 Twisting Transitions
1/2 or Single Twisting Transitions Toss Extended stunts
Power Presses Release Moves that land in an extended position
*Other unique Mounts and Transitions of similar difficulty level

So what makes a stunt elite anymore?
Back in 08 a hitch up and a full up could earn you the worlds title, but now thats your generic level 4 stunt.
And @FamousRudags said in the sneak peak thread that an elite stunt is something more than a full and a half up and a power press tick-tock (sorry to call you out, I don't necessarily disagree, it just gave me this idea ;)).
So I'm just curious, what makes a stunt elite anymore? Is it ball up 360's? Multiple tick tocks?
What is standard and what is expected of level 5 now?

No need to apologize. I said that and still stand by it. Companies can tell you what classifies as elite all day long. However, IMO, you need the "WOW" Factor. Would Brandon had won if they didnt move in their power pressing tick tocks? And if they made their full and a quarter up immediate scorps into one and a half up, pause - body positions double? Maybe (due to their incredible execution and energy and all their tumbling) - but in my opinion - No. To me its not even about having an "elite stunt" more of a WOW FACTOR. I judge and I get tired of seeing the same ole high to high, 1.5 up. I like seeing something fresh and innovative.

No need to apologize. I said that and still stand by it. Companies can tell you what classifies as elite all day long. However, IMO, you need the "WOW" Factor. Would Brandon had won if they didnt move in their power pressing tick tocks? And if they made their full and a quarter up immediate scorps into one and a half up, pause - body positions double? Maybe (due to their incredible execution and energy and all their tumbling) - but in my opinion - No. To me its not even about having an "elite stunt" more of a WOW FACTOR. I judge and I get tired of seeing the same ole high to high, 1.5 up. I like seeing something fresh and innovative.
But just because that's what you want to see, does that make what's being done any less elite. If you take level 5 across the board at stunting, wouldn't you say some elites ARE elite, even if they don't have the 'WOW' factor you'd like? Isn't the reason they're 'wow' because they're different, not necessarily because they're harder or 'more elite'? Can something be 'more' elite or 'less' elite, being in the scope of level 5 stunts and what you're allowed to do? Just curious :D

But just because that's what you want to see, does that make what's being done any less elite.
I guess not. Unless of course - If I am judging and my opinion matters... If I am allowed to score between a 9-10 for an elite stunt - My 9-9.3 will be for level 5 skills that everyone is doing, my 9.4-9.7 will be for more eliter (yes, more eliter) things and my 9.8-10 will be for WOW!!!!!!!! Everyone is typically doing the same things these days. How can you change it to make your sequence different?

If you take level 5 across the board at stunting, wouldn't you say some elites ARE elite, even if they don't have the 'WOW' factor you'd like?
Yes... but typically the elites that I consider truely elite, their wow factor is how elite they are... if that makes sense...Example - Its not that rare anymore to see a stretch to stretch tick tock. But how many do you see that the flyer lacks flexability on the opposite leg.

Isn't the reason they're 'wow' because they're different, not necessarily because they're harder or 'more elite'?
Not always... but sometimes. Typically most stuff people see for the first time with WOW factor isnt that hard. Look at Kentucky Elite. They were the first major team to do high to hights and now this year everyone is like FML! Those are so easy!

Can something be 'more' elite or 'less' elite, being in the scope of level 5 stunts and what you're allowed to do?
Yes... TECHNICALLY a quarter turn switch up (Release) and a full and a quarter up to target (twisting) is level 5.... Should that score the same as Bow to Bow Tick Tock (Release) and a one and a half up immediate stretch (twisting) just because they are both release moves and twisting mounts. Lord, I would hope not.

I guess not. Unless of course - If I am judging and my opinion matters... If I am allowed to score between a 9-10 for an elite stunt - My 9-9.3 will be for level 5 skills that everyone is doing, my 9.4-9.7 will be for more eliter (yes, more eliter) things and my 9.8-10 will be for WOW!!!!!!!! Everyone is typically doing the same things these days. How can you change it to make your sequence different?
I'm condensing this to one so it won't be a 5-page response.

Thank you for your well-thought out responses. You gave the answers I had somewhat anticipated... :D

Latest posts

Back