High School What Skills Should I Work On To Move Up To Varsity Next Year?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

HI Jess Actually the girl you are talking about has some other going issues going on in her 11th grade cheerleading year that caused her to quit the team, i had the pleasure of being captain with her while she was still on the team. Just so you know that is a NJ state law that seniors may not be on a jv team, and she does have the skill level to be on varsity she just couldn't tumble. i would be happy to discuss with you some tips on what our coaches are looking for, feel free to private message me or ask me ! btw its CH

As for stunting I think the coaches are looking for scorpions, heel stretches, twisting, and maybe basket tosses. The problem is this is only my 2nd year cheering so I don't have the experience. Would overall conditioning and strength help me? Skills can be taught but strength to do the skills has to be earned. Anyways thanks a lot for advice! :)

Really focus on improving ALL your skills. Write out all your skills, jumps stunts tumbling motions, then write down the next progressions or skills that follow those. This is a great way to track your skill development as well as making goals for yourself to improve.

Happy cheering! lol

Hey! I didn't know that it was a law for seniors to automatically make varsity. I also didn't know that she had issues going on outside of cheer, I assumed that on what I heard.
Anyways, I know I need to really work on my stunting and jumps. My toe touch and side are pretty good because I've been stretching everyday, but my front and pike are funky. How can I get my legs to go higher in a pike? Also for the front is it leg strength & your right split stretching?
hI Jess, for the pike it is a lot of ab strength you need to really dip your legs for height and pull your legs up with your abs. As for your from, that takes a lot of practice, you need to jump hard, and kick your leg high. The more flexible your right leg is the better, but the harder you kick and lift the easier, again use your abs to help you lift. Don't pre jump before you jump it takes away power

As for stunting I think the coaches are looking for scorpions, heel stretches, twisting, and maybe basket tosses. The problem is this is only my 2nd year cheering so I don't have the experience. Would overall conditioning and strength help me? Skills can be taught but strength to do the skills has to be earned. Anyways thanks a lot for advice! :)
are you looking to fly? cause if so then you must stretch, but i think they consider you in the back spot position, strength is a MUST for backspot since you have complete control over the stunt, especially on the varsity level. Continue going to strength class, in backspotting, you often have to teach yourself, and have to learn by doing, ive been back spotting since 7th grade, it takes some experience so yes skills must be earned lol

Latest posts

Back