What To Look For When Choosing A Gym?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So....we narrowed it to three. Two are well established programs with all levels and worlds teams...the third is a relatively new gym. I think we like the new gym best. The parent viewing room is cool and and breezy...but I fear the gym itself may have no AC. They will be moving to a new facility in the next year (perhaps the next month if the renovations go well) and I hope it will have AC. While I think CP would be happy at any one of the three, I think the relative small size (bigger than where we were but smaller than the other 2 places) will be an easier transition for her. The coaches are all very personable, knowledgeable and positive. I hope this is our home for good!

I think it is important to see how the adults in the gym - coaches, parents, and office staff talk to families & especially kids - I think you can learn a lot about the level of respect in the gym & the type of life skills your child will learn in addition to cheer

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think it is important to see how the adults in the gym - coaches, parents, and office staff talk to families & especially kids - I think you can learn a lot about the level of respect in the gym & the type of life skills your child will learn in addition to cheer

I posted this another thread, but I think it's worth repeating here:

In terms of cost, I always tell people not to be super swayed by "Look at our low tuition!"

Look carefully at what that includes or does not include and how other factors affect the monthly cost.

GYM A might be $200 a month, but any tumbling is separate. So once you enroll in tumbling, you're at $300 or so. Not the deal you thought!

GYM B might be $420 a month, but includes unlimited tumbling and a class. Seems like a lot, but look what you're getting.

GYM C might be $189 a month. SCORE! UNTIL you factor in an hour commute worth of gas, tumbling costs, and 2 comps that require air travel.

GYM D might be $250 and require a 20 min drive with traffic. But your kid is slotted for a Worlds team. Which carries a mandatory tumbling class that's not included. And also involves air travel and all new Worlds attire.

So all of that say, look at more than that monthly "sticker price" you are given.

Because of our rural area (I know that is not what most people think of NJ, but I would have to drive over an hour to get to any highway, especially those that generate the "what is your exit" jokes...we are in the middle of a forest bordered by farms) no matter where we go we will be driving a good distance. I have to drive 30 minutes if I want to grocery shop(and more if I want to get to Whole foods/Trader Joe's which is where we shop!). We have no police department, no fire station, no banks, nothing. The local all star gym was a real surprise and one of the few things in town.... which is also why it was only 2 teams. That basically means that gas and driving are a way of life...and expected for any thing we do- so I don't really factor them in anymore to our choices. That is also why we have so many choices- since we DO have to drive there is a radius of excellence it seems in about the same distance from our starting point. All the gyms seem to be in somewhat the same general price ranges. We are very fortunate that for the most part we don't have to make cost one of our top considerations. I did note though that they all seem to have fundraising opportunities should we need/like to participate.

The owners and coaches and the gym we are leaning toward not only know the 20 girls on their teams, but the girls on all the other teams as well. It does not seem to be just by name either. They seem to know what is actually happening in their lives. All the coaches while we were there were working on carpooling to one girl's back belt event for example.

She will go to their team placements next weekend. I am a little anxious about this as they explained she will need to attend her age session and the age session above hers for clinic and again for the clinic/tryout day. That makes each session very long!

I posted this another thread, but I think it's worth repeating here:

In terms of cost, I always tell people not to be super swayed by "Look at our low tuition!"

Look carefully at what that includes or does not include and how other factors affect the monthly cost.

GYM A might be $200 a month, but any tumbling is separate. So once you enroll in tumbling, you're at $300 or so. Not the deal you thought!

GYM B might be $420 a month, but includes unlimited tumbling and a class. Seems like a lot, but look what you're getting.

GYM C might be $189 a month. SCORE! UNTIL you factor in an hour commute worth of gas, tumbling costs, and 2 comps that require air travel.

GYM D might be $250 and require a 20 min drive with traffic. But your kid is slotted for a Worlds team. Which carries a mandatory tumbling class that's not included. And also involves air travel and all new Worlds attire.

So all of that say, look at more than that monthly "sticker price" you are given.
What is the typical monthly tuition range for an all star gym?

Around me it averages out to about $3k per season for the basic fees. (I did actually take the basic fees of each of the gyms we were considering and do the math to get that noted average- and I used the original 6 we were seriously considering as they are a pretty wide range geographically). I figure once we add in extra classes or lessons if cp wants them, travel costs and such we will at least double that. I think we probably spend about the same for my son's year round sport so I am guessing this is about the cost of things for kids sports.

What is the typical monthly tuition range for an all star gym?

Just depends really like stated above

2012-small gym-$80-90 (10-12 comps)
-rented a floor at gymnastic gym 2 days a week per team
Included: tuition and comp fees
Not included: uniform, makeup, warm up, shoes, mandatory tumbling, music, cheorgraphy, bows
-2 2hr practices
-6-8 coaches

2013-small gym-70$ (5-6 comps)
-rented one day a week at gymnastics gym and one practice at ymca
-included: comp fees, tuition, makeup
-Not included: uniform, warm up, shoes, cheorgraphy,bows
-1 3 hr practice and one 2hr practice
-2-4 coaches

2014-small gym-$180 (12-14 comps 2 nationals)
-own gym less than the size of a cheer floor
-included: tuition,coaches fees, comp fees, bows, cheography, music
-not included: uniform, extra mandatory tumbling if needed, flyer classes for flyers, shoes, makeup
-2-4 3hr practices
-4-5 coaches

2015- large gym-265$ (12-15 comps 4 of which are nationals)
-large gym with two whole cheer regulation floors
-included: coaches fees, tuition, comp fees, tumbling, 2 practice uniforms, cheography, music
-not included: uniform package
-2 2.5 hr practices
-6-8 coaches

I'm sure the average tuition for most gyms is around 200$

But you have to take in consideration gym space and the amount of coaches because that sets a base price then everything just starts to be added on

I agree, see how you feel, winning isn't everything, but you also don't want to be in a program that is always last.. that will discourage the strongest kid! Where you are comfortable is most important, as you will be spending as much time with these ppl as your own family.. it is a cheer family.. for good and bad days! Good luck!

On a side note, don't most gyms keep the competition fees separate from the tuition? Or are most bundled into the monthly payments? The BULK of our fees are competition fees.. not tuition.

I've been on both. I've been on where there are 2 yearly payments half and a half.
I've also looked at other gyms and I think a lot include it in tuition

This season, our comp fees were separate. This upcoming season, we will have all inclusive tuition. except uniform package. :)

Other stuff to look at:

1. Is the front office (reception/pro shop/etc. staff) polite? You really can tell a lot about a gym based on the attitude of the first folks you see when you walk in.

2. Is it clean? You laugh. But you will spend a ton of time there and I have been in some gyms that appear to only be cleaned once a year. Gross bathrooms, etc.

3. Ask to watch a practice. Nonchalantly hang out in the parent area. Listen to the parents talk. Is it all toxic and negative? Are they pointing out flaws in other kids? If yes, that may not be the place for you.

We attended a pretryout clinic and it was very warm and welcoming-for the athletes and the parents. One girl lifted my daughter in a full extension as a single base and held her through three single leg poses- and she had just turned 10! Super strong- I was really impressed by this little lady- and the fact that she seemed well trained. My daughter said that all the bases were really steady and she felt solid going through stunts. I really liked that they had her work with girls mostly her own age (something I had mentioned was important to us- that the team be age appropriate). She told me the older kids were great bases too, that they were all really nice and super friendly. She said she would be happy on any team there so to tryouts we go.....

Latest posts

Back