High School What’s It Like In Your State?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yeah CA is done, I’m thinking.

But sometimes my girls come over to my house and stunt/tumble on those 90’s-era mats that are half foam bits/half air. Because they are beasts and also, fascinated with last century mat technology.

So NCA Nationals has moved to March and UCA is trying to work out something with Disney to move the championship to the spring, seeing that several states have delayed the start of cheer season.

So NCA Nationals has moved to March and UCA is trying to work out something with Disney to move the championship to the spring, seeing that several states have delayed the start of cheer season.
Seriously wondering how and WHEN UCA is going to work out. I was talking to some of my coach friends about this and we had mentioned how we would like to see it happening at the same time as The Quest. Logistically we are thinking it’s going to have to be paired with another event at this point given Disney’s biggest issue is going to be expanding or creating rooming and accommodations with existing vacation reservations as well as filming/staffing scheduling with ESPN. I’m assuming the event will be small enough to combine as I can’t imagine many teams will be able to travel until next season.

Seriously wondering how and WHEN UCA is going to work out. I was talking to some of my coach friends about this and we had mentioned how we would like to see it happening at the same time as The Quest. Logistically we are thinking it’s going to have to be paired with another event at this point given Disney’s biggest issue is going to be expanding or creating rooming and accommodations with existing vacation reservations as well as filming/staffing scheduling with ESPN. I’m assuming the event will be small enough to combine as I can’t imagine many teams will be able to travel until next season.

NCA is offering a virtual option where a team can just send their routine in for the judges to look at in case they are unable to travel. Maybe UCA will do similar.

NCA is offering a virtual option where a team can just send their routine in for the judges to look at in case they are unable to travel. Maybe UCA will do similar.
They should have a virtual championship separate from the in-person one. That would be most fair, I think.

They should have a virtual championship separate from the in-person one. That would be most fair, I think.
It’s sort of working that way for UCA, virtual is running with live but not against live participants. Which I think is totally fair. I mean, it will be a little odd to have both a live and virtual champion in each division but we are living in unusual times. So the fact that accommodations are being made for all is great. Also takes a ton of financial pressure off families and teams- encourages less people to travel that don’t have to or can’t.

It’s sort of working that way for UCA, virtual is running with live but not against live participants. Which I think is totally fair. I mean, it will be a little odd to have both a live and virtual champion in each division but we are living in unusual times. So the fact that accommodations are being made for all is great. Also takes a ton of financial pressure off families and teams- encourages less people to travel that don’t have to or can’t.
Awesome! Right now my state is in limbo; our only winter sport happening is track and field. So I am not totally up-to-date:/

Cheer in SC was successful for the most part.

The school where I coach JV began try outs in June—-got shut down until late July—had try outs and slowly the SCHSL restrictions lifted and we had full practices and stunting by 9/8. We held choreography that weekend. We did have one positive case and had to shut down the end of September for two weeks.

My girls only cheered 1 football game, but successfully competed in 5 competitions. Every competition had a different set up. Some allowed spectators to watch a session—-never more than 6 teams. Others were watch your team and go. Awards were virtual. Cheerleaders competed and left

The school where I coach varsity team got shut down right before Thanksgiving and had only one real practice before qualifiers and unfortunately did not qualify for state.

Our state championship was held Dec. 19. Extremely well run. Normally 16 (maybe 14) qualify. This year they took only 12. We have 3 divisions (5A, 4A and 3A ) and every division ended up having 2 teams drop. At state you were able to see every team in a division. Plenty of social distancing. Teams got to stay for awards.

My niece also finished the season a State Champion (4A — AC Flora Varsity—-look up their video. Black girl with the full, point jumps) so yay for SOuth Carolina cheer. No complaints from me

Cheer in SC was successful for the most part.

The school where I coach JV began try outs in June—-got shut down until late July—had try outs and slowly the SCHSL restrictions lifted and we had full practices and stunting by 9/8. We held choreography that weekend. We did have one positive case and had to shut down the end of September for two weeks.

My girls only cheered 1 football game, but successfully competed in 5 competitions. Every competition had a different set up. Some allowed spectators to watch a session—-never more than 6 teams. Others were watch your team and go. Awards were virtual. Cheerleaders competed and left

The school where I coach varsity team got shut down right before Thanksgiving and had only one real practice before qualifiers and unfortunately did not qualify for state.

Our state championship was held Dec. 19. Extremely well run. Normally 16 (maybe 14) qualify. This year they took only 12. We have 3 divisions (5A, 4A and 3A ) and every division ended up having 2 teams drop. At state you were able to see every team in a division. Plenty of social distancing. Teams got to stay for awards.

My niece also finished the season a State Champion (4A — AC Flora Varsity—-look up their video. Black girl with the full, point jumps) so yay for SOuth Carolina cheer. No complaints from me
Congrats to your niece! Unfortunately, this is the not the case in most places. I suppose that it is for the best in the long run.

Congrats to your niece! Unfortunately, this is the not the case in most places. I suppose that it is for the best in the long run.

Thanks.

I was a huge proponent of shutting down the season or postponing. I’m fortunate that my team made it all 5 competitions and even more fortunate that my niece won state....but I spent the entire season anxious, nervous and having break downs. I’m also a teacher (school librarian ) and we were (and are still) 4 days face to face and it’s been Hell.

The majority of my team had never stunted and tumbled before and it was a concern of mine the amount of pushing it felt like we had to make and lack of time for progression. I said from the start and I still say SC should have delayed the season. (Not that seasons are going well for other sports. Basketball is a mess right now)

but what’s done is done.

Thanks.

I was a huge proponent of shutting down the season or postponing. I’m fortunate that my team made it all 5 competitions and even more fortunate that my niece won state....but I spent the entire season anxious, nervous and having break downs. I’m also a teacher (school librarian ) and we were (and are still) 4 days face to face and it’s been Hell.

The majority of my team had never stunted and tumbled before and it was a concern of mine the amount of pushing it felt like we had to make and lack of time for progression. I said from the start and I still say SC should have delayed the season. (Not that seasons are going well for other sports. Basketball is a mess right now)

but what’s done is done.
It’s good that you and your girls had the opportunity, now matter how it happened. Best wishes to you working in a school library! I can’t imagine.

Your niece is amazing. I watched her the entire routine.

My daughter here in CT coaches HS and had had practices until Christmas break, now the governor has shut them down so they really can’t practice anything or compete but they can go cheer those boys on in basketball if they want!! Today now the governor decides if her All Star team can continue

Back