When Are You Too Old To Start Cheering?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

While I wish I was 17 I'm not, I'm 27 ;)

I also believe it's abit different in the US from Europé and Sweden. I understand that for you guys, where it's such a big and popular thing, there are more regulations, more divisions and so forth.
I mean, in Sweden no schools have any sports teams or cheerleading teams for example. If you want to do any sports at any age you will have to turn to individual clubs who usually offer practices for both kids and adults alike :) So things in general do work a little different in that regard I'm sure :)
From what I can read on this teams page they do accept anyone no matter age, they practice once a week for 2 hours and they have several different teams (some for children, some for older people, some for beginners and some for advanced). So as you can see it's not nearly as hardcore as in the US ;)

My main reason for asking is because when I started ballett at the age of 15 the teacher of our class flat out told us there were no chance of us ever doing ballett on any other level than for fun because we were too old and our boddies had already developed beyond the point where we could turn them into what is needed for serious ballett. Which is why I thought I should ask if the same applied for cheerleading purly phsically.

Just to clear things up ;)
Oh I gotcha, I'm just not as familiar with the cheer regulations outside of the US

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Shouldn't be to hard if you're in good shape. Get yourself to some open gyms at the club and start working on stunting and tumbling. We've had several people start cheer into their 20's, level 6 competing at Worlds. If you want to do, go train and make it happen

I got hooked on cheerleading when I was 14 years old, but this was back in 2001 and there weren't any clubs that offered cheerleading around my place here in Sweden back then. Instead I attended a school where there was ballett, jazz and modern dancing on the schedual. This got me into shape and I couldn't help but practice cheerleading on my own at home (the different jumps such as toetouches, herkies, pikes etc. and the positions such as scorpion, heel stretch and bow and arrow).

I quit that at the age of 20 and now I'm 27. I'm not completely out of shape nor un-flexible but definitly not in as great shape as I used to be either. The interest for cheerleading hasn't changed and after joining this board I couldn't help but looking into what cheerclubs there are nearby these days. And I found one club in my city that do pracitce allstar cheerleading nowdays :)

They do write that they accept anyone no matter how old they are, but then again I realize cheerleading is very demanding physicaly and it's just common sense that with age your physics won't be as great as when you're a teen.

So my questions is to everyone here who has first-hand experience with cheerleading: when are you too old to start cheering? Despite my background with ballett, jazz and modern dancing would it be a bad idea to sign up for newbie cheerleading at this club at the age of 27?

Any inputs are very appriciated :)

I do not think you are ever to old to cheer. Don't give up!

You're never too old to start cheerleading! And if you have a background in dance you're probably already conditioned for it...it's just something that you're going to have to get used to because it is a lot different than dance. As a 28 year old - and not having cheered since I was 17 - I have missed cheerleading and wish there was an adult all star cheer squad where I live. Instead though, I am a coach and its very rewarding to see the girls progress during the season. :)

Wow I Thought I Was Too Old To Start And I'm Only 14. Maybe I Thought That Because It Takes Time To Get Really Good..Nd I Thought 18 Was The Limit???:help:

You are never too old. Heck, I'm thinking of starting some coed stunting classes next week so I can try out for OO5 next year. Just hope my 2 yo grandson can stay tight enough when I toss him around.

You are never too old. Heck, I'm thinking of starting some coed stunting classes next week so I can try out for OO5 next year. Just hope my 2 yo grandson can stay tight enough when I toss him around.
Wow Im Only 14 And Have A Little Cheer Experience From 3years Ago..I Thought I Was Too Old

Just go to a practice and try!

In Germany, I've seen many guys and girls starting at the age of 20 and older.
If you're fit and willing to learn there shouldn't be a problem

Back