Where Do I Max Out?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 21, 2015
Click For Full Article

From Jay McCartney, Cheer Athletics Austin​

Your athlete may be able to do the tumbling skills we are asking with perfect execution or may have the skills but have not perfected them. Your athlete may also be the one who can stunt at a higher level than tumble or vice versa. Please always remember this, team placements are based on every single aspect of this sport and not just a single category. We are looking for perfection and mastery of skills, not just attempt. Please remind yourself and your athlete of these things before tryouts and after tryouts to alleviate some pressure, stress and upset situations later on.

As placements come up, I want every athlete and parent to ask themselves these questions:

“What level am I a 5.0 at?”

Not a level 5 – but a 5.0 on a scoresheet. A 5.0 is the maximum difficulty and technique score on the elite all-star scoresheet. Difficulty is WHAT you do, and technique is HOW you do it.

What level am I a 5.0 in tumbling difficulty and technique? This means I can execute every tumble skill in that level with excellent technique.

What level am I a 5.0 in for stunting difficulty and technique? This means I can execute every stunting skill in that level with excellent technique.

What level am I a 5.0 in jump difficulty and technique? Jumps to tumble? This means I can execute every jump and jump to tumble skill in that level with excellent technique.

What level am I a 5.0 in routine overall impression and performance? This means how able am I to execute fast or slow-moving choreography? What level can I “put on a show” at?

What level am I a 5.0 in dance? Am I able to execute fast-paced, precise, energetic choreography? Or do I need it a bit slower, less difficult?

Be honest with yourself. Learning a level and being an EXPERT at a level are two very different things. We always encourage goal setting, however, when it comes to Team Placements, we want you to be successful and confident. We want you to have an amazing season that creates magical memories with friends and coaches who become family.

And remember, I’ve never heard a winning team complain about their level. Keep that in mind. Good luck!

Back