College Why Are Male College Cheerleaders Role Down Played?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think it's limited participation, it's just a different role. Girls actually take on a different role when cheering in college as well. Girls don't dance like they do in all-star and MOST colleges girls don't jump (at least during games). Girls are asked to cheer with signs and poms (which takes some time to do it right). Males have their role which is different but girls have to change as well.
Most schools have their "look" which might mean different hair/make-up (which to me isn't a big deal but I hear girls complain about it all the time).
I mean it's college, it SHOULD be different.
Yeah, it should be different, skill wise, but the role shouldn't change, higher expectations should be made and the physical appearance should be higher. And yeah I know girls complain about things they do too. Their complaints aren't valid though. Some high school teams use signwork, some don't, but signs are used to lead a crowd. That isn't downplaying or watering down anything they do. For guys, in college, the guys participation IS limited. During a performance, the guys stand in the back and wait to perform stunts, and when the girls cheer, most of the time they yell and only perform basic motions. Full participation would be dancing and performing all of the cheer and really getting very involved in the entire performance. But, don't get me wrong, some coaches allow their guys to be fully involved at every aspect of a performance or sideline, and some don't. Mine just so doesn't.

Yeah, it should be different, skill wise, but the role shouldn't change, higher expectations should be made and the physical appearance should be higher. And yeah I know girls complain about things they do too. Their complaints aren't valid though. Some high school teams use signwork, some don't, but signs are used to lead a crowd. That isn't downplaying or watering down anything they do. For guys, in college, the guys participation IS limited. During a performance, the guys stand in the back and wait to perform stunts, and when the girls cheer, most of the time they yell and only perform basic motions. Full participation would be dancing and performing all of the cheer and really getting very involved in the entire performance. But, don't get me wrong, some coaches allow their guys to be fully involved at every aspect of a performance or sideline, and some don't. Mine just so doesn't.
I think you bring up a very good point and that is to research your school. I think first and foremost should be education and that they cater to your future. Next should be your scholarship needs. The LAST thing (but still very important) is "style" of cheer. There are MANY MANY different styles out there and it is important to find the right "fit".

The role change exists because the functions of the college cheerleader dramatically are different than those of a hs cheerleader or an allstar cheerleader (male or female). College athletics is all about tradition. When moving from AS or HS to college, you have to realize that as a college cheerleader you are the face of the school. They send you to alumni events, ribbon cuttings in the community, games, promo materials, websites, ads, even put some on ticket faces. Your role is a representative of the school and their athletic program, not a performance artist. Now when it is gametime and you are trying to get the crowd's attention to get them to yell and cheer with you, it is ok to perform but it has to be done in the best way possible to get the crowd to join with you. Dancing does none of that, tumbling yes, jumps barely, stunts definitely. Which is why stunts for guys is so emphasized because that is what helps the school, team, crowd the most. Not what gives you the most ego for being the best performer at the stadium that day.

And like yojaehs said, in regards to your coach not listening to your suggestions. He is completely right. Your coaches boss, and their 3 bosses are all riding them to have the squad looking as 'perfect' as can be. And that 'perfect' is only decided by fans/donors who help fund the school and the athletic program.

I know you feel pushed away and kind of excluded from college cheer because you aren't a big time stunter and do want to dance. Give stunting a chance though, the satisfaction of growing your skill library is the same if not better than when working tumbling because you have to do it with another person and a bond is created with your partner or group. I started college cheer with a toss hands and weighing 130 lbs, finished with too many stunts that flip and twist, many to one hand.

Keep at it. Love your passion

You really do just need to look at what a guys strength is. Typically we are louder and that makes us more efficient to be the ones with megaphones yelling the words. Doing thirty thousand motions while yelling would for sure lower the volume. The importance of stunting is so that we can put people up as high as possible to get the crowds attention. That is what we do as bases. It does not matter if it is UCA or NCA while not on the competition floor your focus as a cheerleader for your school is to lead school spirit not to show off what your hardest skills are. even with stunting on the sidelines the stunts are kept to a basic few that will hit 100% of the time.
The time and place for all the jumping and dancing and what not is on a competition floor that requires it to max out the score sheet.
Its what your perspective is on the whole idea of cheerleading that will make your mindset agree or disagree. I know and agree that my role is to throw girls up catch them, yell words and entertain a crowd when asked.
Im sorry if it comes of rude, but even if you dont agree with your coach it is their program and it should be run how they see it. Thats the big thing though.
Dont think your coach is limiting you there just trying to use what your physical strong points are to help lead the crowd.
Hope things get better for ya

You really do just need to look at what a guys strength is. Typically we are louder and that makes us more efficient to be the ones with megaphones yelling the words. Doing thirty thousand motions while yelling would for sure lower the volume. The importance of stunting is so that we can put people up as high as possible to get the crowds attention. That is what we do as bases. It does not matter if it is UCA or NCA while not on the competition floor your focus as a cheerleader for your school is to lead school spirit not to show off what your hardest skills are. even with stunting on the sidelines the stunts are kept to a basic few that will hit 100% of the time.
The time and place for all the jumping and dancing and what not is on a competition floor that requires it to max out the score sheet.
Its what your perspective is on the whole idea of cheerleading that will make your mindset agree or disagree. I know and agree that my role is to throw girls up catch them, yell words and entertain a crowd when asked.
Im sorry if it comes of rude, but even if you dont agree with your coach it is their program and it should be run how they see it. Thats the big thing though.
Dont think your coach is limiting you there just trying to use what your physical strong points are to help lead the crowd.
Hope things get better for ya
If doing a lot of motions lowered the volume then why are some all girl teams still as loud as a coed team and doesn't use megaphones. Right. And I didn't say I don't like or want to stunt. I enjoy stunting also! charlie And if dancing isn't needed then why ddo only the girls do it? I'm not trying to sound immature for bringing the girls to guys comparison but if you say that stunts, tumbling, and cheers are what pumps up the crowd, then why do the girls dance when they perform at games and events? LOL. And I KNOW with guys' role in college cheer, stunting is a big percentage, but why is dancing thrown out of the picture? I don't think ya'll are realizing I enjoy stunting, I know the guys' role, and I knew that the transition from high school and allstar cheer would be difficult but what I don't understand is why in high school and allstar cheer, the male athletes are ALL-AROUND cheerleaders and in college cheer, most of the time, they're only good at and good for stunting and that only. I would think that at the college level of cheerleading, guys would be held at the same expectations as the girls simply because it's the same sport and there shouldn't be a difference in role by gender, everyone should have the same purpose and same participation. For someone like me, stunting 95% of the time isn't full participation in "cheerleading," and i'm not trying to cut down any guys who only stunt because it takes hard work, but college cheerleading for a male shouldn't be limited to stunting, basic motions, clapping, and yelling in a megaphone.

If doing a lot of motions lowered the volume then why are some all girl teams still as loud as a coed team and doesn't use megaphones. Right. And I didn't say I don't like or want to stunt. I enjoy stunting also! charlie And if dancing isn't needed then why ddo only the girls do it? I'm not trying to sound immature for bringing the girls to guys comparison but if you say that stunts, tumbling, and cheers are what pumps up the crowd, then why do the girls dance when they perform at games and events? LOL. And I KNOW with guys' role in college cheer, stunting is a big percentage, but why is dancing thrown out of the picture? I don't think ya'll are realizing I enjoy stunting, I know the guys' role, and I knew that the transition from high school and allstar cheer would be difficult but what I don't understand is why in high school and allstar cheer, the male athletes are ALL-AROUND cheerleaders and in college cheer, most of the time, they're only good at and good for stunting and that only. I would think that at the college level of cheerleading, guys would be held at the same expectations as the girls simply because it's the same sport and there shouldn't be a difference in role by gender, everyone should have the same purpose and same participation. For someone like me, stunting 95% of the time isn't full participation in "cheerleading," and i'm not trying to cut down any guys who only stunt because it takes hard work, but college cheerleading for a male shouldn't be limited to stunting, basic motions, clapping, and yelling in a megaphone.
I see your point but a take a step back and look at it from the crowd perspective. What does 6 males dancing on a sideline of a football game bring to the game atmosphere?

I see your point but a take a step back and look at it from the crowd perspective. What does 6 males dancing on a sideline of a football game bring to the game atmosphere?
6 males dancing on a sideline of a football game brings the same thing 6 girls dancing on a sideline of a football game bring. Either way it's still gonna be seen as cheerleading. And from what I know, the crowd doesn't even pay attention to the dances cheerleaders do on the sideline; They only watch the cheerleaders when they throw baskets, tumble, and perform at halftime, other than that they are too into the game to watch some kids, boy or girl, dance, so it shouldn't be a big deal if a guy dances or not.

6 males dancing on a sideline of a football game brings the same thing 6 girls dancing on a sideline of a football game bring. Either way it's still gonna be seen as cheerleading. And from what I know, the crowd doesn't even pay attention to the dances cheerleaders do on the sideline; They only watch the cheerleaders when they throw baskets, tumble, and perform at halftime, other than that they are too into the game to watch some kids, boy or girl, dance, so it shouldn't be a big deal if a guy dances or not.

There is your answer right there, you said it "he crowd doesn't even pay attention to the dances cheerleaders do on the sideline; They only watch the cheerleaders when they throw baskets, tumble, and perform at halftime" If they aren't paying attention then it isn't worth it to waste your time doing it during the game.

As a cheerleader you have many roles. The first of which is to represent your school, the second is to support the school's athletic teams. It seems that you are focusing so much on not being able to dance at games that you are missing out on so much more. Forget about dancing and go cheer and have fun

There is your answer right there, you said it "he crowd doesn't even pay attention to the dances cheerleaders do on the sideline; They only watch the cheerleaders when they throw baskets, tumble, and perform at halftime" If they aren't paying attention then it isn't worth it to waste your time doing it during the game.

As a cheerleader you have many roles. The first of which is to represent your school, the second is to support the school's athletic teams. It seems that you are focusing so much on not being able to dance at games that you are missing out on so much more. Forget about dancing and go cheer and have fun
Ok so then the girls need to stop dancing if it's a waste of time because while theyre dancing the guys are standing in the back doing nothing so if you say i should just not worry about it then if it doesn't get paid attention to, it just shouldn't be done period. Right? No, im not focusing on dancing, im focused on the fact that guys participation is limited. You clearly don't want to understand because it can't be misunderstood.

Ok so then the girls need to stop dancing if it's a waste of time because while theyre dancing the guys are standing in the back doing nothing so if you say i should just not worry about it then if it doesn't get paid attention to, it just shouldn't be done period. Right? No, im not focusing on dancing, im focused on the fact that guys participation is limited. You clearly don't want to understand because it can't be misunderstood.

He does understand, he understands completely. You keep saying your coach is "old-fashioned" and stuck in her ways - but she's not, that's just how college is. You're the one who wants it to be something it's not. I'm sorry you feel limited, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

He does understand, he understands completely. You keep saying your coach is "old-fashioned" and stuck in her ways - but she's not, that's just how college is. You're the one who wants it to be something it's not. I'm sorry you feel limited, but I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Ashley why are you still commenting? I didn't say it was changing anytime soon. And yes in this time being old fashioned is known as stuck in your ways. And yes I do feel like its limited coming from competitive cheer being taught to perform everything at its best to college cheer doing basically nothing but stunts and waving a megaphone with some tumbling. I respect what Scotty says bc he was a male cheerleader. But you weren't do you can't even identify with half of what I'm saying so you commenting is irrelevant. And no actually I don't want college cheer to be something it's not, I want to be able to dance and be involved more. So what? Sue me! That's not trying to make it something different. It's cheerleading and I can dance and I'm gonna be performing the dances that the girls do because I can and I'm good at it. College cheer will make a change at SOME POINT. The role that your defending for a weird reason since your not a male cheerleader and won't be is old and is being moved away from, we go to NCA for a reason, bc strength isn't our guys' only option. Now you don't have to comment back bc your not open minded enough to atleast recognize cheerleaders like myself who feel this way should be able to participate more instead of try to cut me down and you can't even make a relation and have no reason to. Goodbye.

Back