College Why do colleges compete on hard floor?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
Why do colleges compete on hard floor? Cheersport has a college competition they call 'college' and they compete on spring. I have never heard anyone complain about going from hard to spring.... but DEFINITELY from spring to hard floor. Why keep it on hard floor and not catch up with the times?

I'll get back to you on that when I find a college that can actually afford a spring floor for their cheerleaders to practice on

I also know colleges (that compete) that practice on gym floors and dont have matts. Why dont we just compete on a basketball floor... because we can all afford that.

We Agree Colleges definatly can't afford the spring floors...

Now days, most colleges won't let you practice on Wooden floor/ concrete due to insurance stuff..

Also, competing on a spring vs hard floor isn't much different with anything but tumbling.. College outlawed Double Fulls....
Honestly, doing jumps to back, etc double bounced everyone when you land..

It doesn't seem to be too big of a deal....

But here is the other issue... WHO outlawed double fulls? Cheersport has a college competition that colleges go to and compete.. and they do level 6 rules.

Well besides the obvious reason that the majority of colleges just cant afford a spring floor, I like to say that its "college cheerleading." Since there is no real pro cheerleading, college cheer is what the youth strive to become one day, besides Team USA.

In a small comparison, when you look at pro sports and college sports you see the small differences. For example, the NBA shot clock vs the college shot. In college its 35 seconds, where as in the NBA is slightly more difficult at 24 seconds. Same with the three point line, where its pushed back a couple feet in the NBA.

Its pretty much like that in all major level changes, just making things harder, no spring floor (besides the money) is just one of the new challenges.

Well besides the obvious reason that the majority of colleges just cant afford a spring floor, I like to say that its "college cheerleading." Since there is no real pro cheerleading, college cheer is what the youth strive to become one day, besides Team USA.

In a small comparison, when you look at pro sports and college sports you see the small differences. For example, the NBA shot clock vs the college shot. In college its 35 seconds, where as in the NBA is slightly more difficult at 24 seconds. Same with the three point line, where its pushed back a couple feet in the NBA.

Its pretty much like that in all major level changes, just making things harder, no spring floor (besides the money) is just one of the new challenges.

Maybe, but that doesn't seem like the intention of hard floor... to make things harder. I thought we took away double fulls, trick double twisting baskets, and full twisting rewinds to make things easier and safer? Why would we keep one thing to make it harder but another to make it safer? And if a tumbler were to bust on a spring floor wouldnt that be safer than busting on a hard floor?

Also, finals on the stage at NCA has been described as a spring floor because of the stage. Not NEARLY as dead as the mat on cement. I have seen quite a few tumblers over rotate on certain years because they will bound in the middle of a plank on the stage and get too much height. We dont seem to care too much then if it is like a spring floor.

PS - why the heck 1 1/2's are still legal I have no idea. Those are more ACL blowing than doubles.

Maybe, but that doesn't seem like the intention of hard floor... to make things harder. I thought we took away double fulls, trick double twisting baskets, and full twisting rewinds to make things easier and safer? Why would we keep one thing to make it harder but another to make it safer? And if a tumbler were to bust on a spring floor wouldnt that be safer than busting on a hard floor?

Yeah, they did take away doubles, trick double baskets and the full twisting rewinds, however although there are no full twisting rewinds, there are still rewinds, which is more than you can do in allstars and high school cheer, no trick double baskets, but there are still doubles and trick full baskets, which is still more than you can do in allstars and high school. So yeah, no doubles, but its still on hard floor.

Like back in the day, you could do whatever you wanted in cheer, no restrictions, hands down the hardest thing there was, but they took things away to make it safer, but that doesnt make it less hard than the level that comes before, its safer yes, but still harder than high school level cheer.

Why are you saying they took away spring?
They added spring to allstar!
Cheerleading has always been done on hard floor, has it not?

Nope. But I feel like a way to justify keeping colleges hard floor is the fact that sideline cheering is not spring floor, therefore there is no real need to move it to spring. Believe me, I am 100% for having a spring floor in college.

I am very for a spring floor in college. What sideline cheerleading really has to do with competition I don't know (besides using the same people). I think sideline cheerleading should be limited to back tucks, toss extensions, and toe touch baskets. In general crowds really dont know what the heck we do or why. Eliminate the stuff people are most likely to get hurt on at games and leave it as JUST sideline cheering. Sideline cheering is about cheering on your team.. not about what skills you did. And while I cheered at Tech I do not distinctly remember one skill I ever did on the sideline, but I sure do remember some amazing games.

Competition wise lets bring it back to the early 2000 years with a spring floor. Now THAT would be amazing.

Back