All-Star Why Isn't Cheerleading A Sport?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15407
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Personally i don't want it in the Olympics.... And refering to that tweet posted, "Cheerleading is a pronounced a sport and will be in the olympics" Well, just because its a sport, doesn't make it and Olympic Sport...
Plus, not enough countries participate....

Personally i don't want it in the Olympics.... And refering to that tweet posted, "Cheerleading is a pronounced a sport and will be in the olympics" Well, just because its a sport, doesn't make it and Olympic Sport...
Plus, not enough countries participate....

I feel the same way, i just got very confused when i saw it..
and now apparently my whole team thinks its true :confused: (sweden is a bit off on the news ;) )
Imo, i think Worlds is a lot better fit for us than the olympics, and in a way it is already Our olympics.

CHEERLEADING WILL NEVER BE IN THE OLYMPICS.
I think NCATA would have had a fantastic chance if only it gained some momentum. I know varsity steamrolled it with STUNT (which i think is awful).

NCATA really had the perfect set up for it to be more of a sport.

I think NCATA would have had a fantastic chance if only it gained some momentum. I know varsity steamrolled it with STUNT (which i think is awful).

Amen, Amen, Amen! NCATA has the backing of a legit governing body. They have a legitimate NATIONAL Championship. They have a code of points and an unbelievable scoring system!
Now let me start by saying I 100% believe competitive cheerleading should be in the Olympics. As BlueCat mentioned, defining is important.
I have a curiosity question the supports this debate - Should level 5 Worlds Eligible Divisions be on the same score sheet all season long?
I ask this for a few reasons-
- Yes, I understand that "Level 5" is not the ONLY level in All-Star HOWEVER Level 5 is the ONLY division with a World Championship
- I feel like this would help legitimize routines and judging of these routines
- I compare this to baseball, in pee wee the fence and distance between bases is minimal until the College ranks and even different in the Pros. I feel each level should be designed to prepare for level 5. Once level 5 is reached I feel that EVERY competition leading up to World's should be in preparation FOR World's.

Just a few of my thoughts.

I don't think either one is out of chances yet.

Whichever the NCAA accepts for emerging sport status will benefit from the fact that schools can consider it in their Title IX numbers, which is a central point of the debate for why school should accept it.

STUNT has more school pariticipation because Varsity spent a lot of money inviting schools, buying uniforms and having competitions at the same time/location as other Varsity brand/family all star events. This way colleges could go and compete at both in the same weekend. They also demanded that any school that participated in NCATA events would not be eligible for NCA or UCA nationals so that guided a few more schools toward STUNT and to not try the NCATA format.

NCATA has the format, competitive system, and single governing body. It is also the only one with an officially recognized governing body and conistent scoring system.

I'm not saying one should win over the other but when the NCAA emerging sport committee looked at both formats last year to consider emerging sport status, NCATA had accomplished more of the requirements to be legitimate.

I don't think either one is out of chances yet.

Whichever the NCAA accepts for emerging sport status will benefit from the fact that schools can consider it in their Title IX numbers, which is a central point of the debate for why school should accept it.

STUNT has more school pariticipation because Varsity spent a lot of money inviting schools, buying uniforms and having competitions at the same time/location as other Varsity brand/family all star events. This way colleges could go and compete at both in the same weekend. They also demanded that any school that participated in NCATA events would not be eligible for NCA or UCA nationals so that guided a few more schools toward STUNT and to not try the NCATA format.

NCATA has the format, competitive system, and single governing body. It is also the only one with an officially recognized governing body and conistent scoring system.

I'm not saying one should win over the other but when the NCAA emerging sport committee looked at both formats last year to consider emerging sport status, NCATA had accomplished more of the requirements to be legitimate.
Because NCATA athletes are separate and no NCAA athlete can participate in club DURING sport time. The schools with NCATA teams also have separate cheer teams. NCATA isn't piggy backing they are creating their own. I have two athletes that are at two different NCATA schools and they are getting treated better than any other "cheer" athlete I've ever worked with. I coached at HPU years ago, and they treated our kids very well but not even CLOSE to the respect these NCATA kids are getting treated. I hope and pray it's popularity can grow because I feel it is the BEST fit!

Because NCATA athletes are separate and no NCAA athlete can participate in club DURING sport time. The schools with NCATA teams also have separate cheer teams. NCATA isn't piggy backing they are creating their own. I have two athletes that are at two different NCATA schools and they are getting treated better than any other "cheer" athlete I've ever worked with. I coached at HPU years ago, and they treated our kids very well but not even CLOSE to the respect these NCATA kids are getting treated. I hope and pray it's popularity can grow because I feel it is the BEST fit!

I am very aware of this and I agree with you. In my earlier posts I was just trying to keep it to the facts that I know.

you know what super, duper annoys me when this topic comes up? when people quote articles about cheer injuries as justification that it's a sport! I mean, come on, people. you ask/desire legitimacy, and all you can come up with, is well we can break our necks, so therefore we are a sport?

and the point is, MOST of the injuries cited occur in highschool and/or sideline cheer, which any allstar cheerleader is quick to say it isn't the same thing.

There are many, many things that prohibit the 'legitimacy-is-ing' (i know i just made that up), and frequently, those that defend the 'sport-ness' of the cheer world, contradict that with their actions or comments. Sorry, feel free to tear me apart, but that's my rant!!

I def agree you, however, I feel sometimes people aren't arguing that the injuries make us a sport, but that being a sport could help the injuries.

I def agree you, however, I feel sometimes people aren't arguing that the injuries make us a sport, but that being a sport could help the injuries.

well if being a sport could help with getting coaches proper training, teaching perfection before progression, i'd say heck ya!! but, unfortunately there's a long way to go before it gets to that point, esp with shows like cheer perfection out there showcasing cheerleaders everywhere!! NOT!!

I dunno, I'd never EVER blame my coaches but i also feel like my knees could be much better if my SPORT were approached differently...

well if being a sport could help with getting coaches proper training, teaching perfection before progression, i'd say heck ya!! but, unfortunately there's a long way to go before it gets to that point, esp with shows like cheer perfection out there showcasing cheerleaders everywhere!! NOT!!

The only thing that prevents it from happening now is the direction leadership in the sport takes. With enough organization it could happen as soon as the sport wants it to. . .

I don't get why everyone is so obsessed with cheerleading being a sport, is it hard; yes, is it dangerous; yes, is it fun; yes, thats good enough for me, I enjoy it and that works for me. I couldn't care less what someone else says about it

omg. im so tired of seeing this. who cares if its a sport or not? NOT ME, i do it becuase i love it. and im not worried about people telling me if its a sport or not... that doesnt matter. this is such a waste of time
I couldn't agree more. I stopped looking for validation for outsiders a LONG time ago. I know cheerleading is a sport and in my heart I know it is SO much more. It is a way of life. I know that sounds dramatic, but I think anyone who has a passion for their own sport and does what they love and finds support in a community that has that same passion, it is impossible to put into words or scoresheet what it means to them.

Reactions: ian
I don't get why everyone is so obsessed with cheerleading being a sport, is it hard; yes, is it dangerous; yes, is it fun; yes, thats good enough for me, I enjoy it and that works for me. I couldn't care less what someone else says about it

If you are in a safe training environment with well-trained coaches, practicing on proper surfaces for the activity you are accomplishing, then there is nothing wrong.

But every one of us knows of a Rec, Middle/High school, College, and some All Star programs that don't have one or all of the things I just listed. Those kids are at constant risk of serious injury if not flat out being abused mentally or physically due to the fact they are not properly represented as a sport.

THAT IS NOT OK AND NEEDS TO CHANGE

Back