All-Star Worlds Bid Solution...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheercurl

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
I was thinking about this last night...cheer occupies my mind at the oddest moments. Anyway, World's is a business and those at-large bids pay for the paid bids. We all get that, but the quality and quantity of teams being offered bids has gotten out of hand. Not long a go, I was that person defending a teams right to have that experience but even I can see how this is no longer a benefit to anyone other then to line the pockets of promotors and all others profiting from World's.

Paid bids get a free pass to World's...do not pass go. BUT, what if all teams with at large bids, had to have their seasons scores averaged out and those top scores would be used as an invitation to actually attend World's. First the team would have to receive a bid to get into the pool of averaged scores and then those averaged score would decide who would actually be invited to attend.

Only 1 thing would have to take place first to make this feasible: A Universal Score Sheet. As far as how many teams would actually receive an invitation to attend World's, that would be determined by where the natural break was in those averaged scores. I see this as a win-win for all. A gym could still have the proud distinction to receive a bid to enter the pool and there wouldn't be 500 teams in this division for us to sit through! See...good stuff, right?

Let's take AG Sm Sr 5, it is one of the bigger divisions at World's...we all know there are some fabulous teams in that division but I am willing to bet there would be a natural break in the averaged scores, with lower umm "quality teams" for lack of a better word falling below that break. We could just say take the top 10 averaged scores but I really think it would be much fairer to use the averaged natural break in scores so all "quality teams" could attend. The "quality teams" term really is just a way for me to distinguish a break. All teams are quality teams because they work so hard to attain the skills to compete at level 5 but some teams are young and just not ready to be competitive in the "Worlds Arena".

I am sure there are many problems with this idea so let's hear them...

There doesn't even need to be a universal scoresheet for all levels, the USASF just needs to require that all bid events use the worlds scoresheets for judging level 5 teams, or they cannot hand out bids. Realistically, how many events would give up their worlds bids (a major selling point for them) just because they'd need to use a different score sheet for bid eligible teams? Of course this would mean that the USASF would have to get their act together and actually release the scoresheets before the season begins :rolleyes:.

The way I see it...The more at-large bids who attend, the more money for the event producer. There is no motivation for them to limit participation if profit is their motive. So while we all talk about ways to reinvent the bid process to limit the teams to the "best of the best", the entities in charge are laughing all the way to the bank!

The way I see it...The more at-large bids who attend, the more money for the event producer. There is no motivation for them to limit participation if profit is their motive. So while we all talk about ways to reinvent the bid process to limit the teams to the "best of the best", the entities in charge are laughing all the way to the bank!
Sadly, this is probably true.

There doesn't even need to be a universal scoresheet for all levels, the USASF just needs to require that all bid events use the worlds scoresheets for judging level 5 teams, or they cannot hand out bids. Realistically, how many events would give up their worlds bids (a major selling point for them) just because they'd need to use a different score sheet for bid eligible teams? Of course this would mean that the USASF would have to get their act together and actually release the scoresheets before the season begins :rolleyes:.
I also like this...if you are competing in a World's division, you must use a universal world's score sheet! I want a little emoticon that nods his head...LOL

We'll be publishing a proposal to change Worlds bids in about a week. It won't matter which score sheet is used and can fund the USASF without having a million At Large bids. yojaehs and kingston have seen it and seem to think it has some legitimate potential.
Absolutely! Can't wait till it's released! And it is definitely thinking outside the box, so I BEG all that read, to read then re-read then think! It took me a few days for it to sink in but I think it's a great suggestion, so well thought out!

There should be a minimum percent of perfection on a score to qualify for a bid. That way everyone can keep their precious score sheets and we can get deserving teams to worlds. I would like to see a seeding program for the schedule where the teams compete in order of average score at bid events. So the highest average score gets to go last.

I am a supporter of universal scoring though btw.

Can't wait to see it!!

My only jaded thought with requiring a minimum score is that it would be easy enough for EPs to tell judges to make sure they score a bit higher than normal.

I can't wait to see it but my idea is pretty good in it's simplicity...just sayin' :D

We'll be publishing a proposal to change Worlds bids in about a week. It won't matter which score sheet is used and can fund the USASF without having a million At Large bids. yojaehs and kingston have seen it and seem to think it has some legitimate potential.
Absolutely! Can't wait till it's released! And it is definitely thinking outside the box, so I BEG all that read, to read then re-read then think! It took me a few days for it to sink in but I think it's a great suggestion, so well thought out!

I was going to make a slightly big deal out of it.
Sure KIngston deflate my proposal...;)
Actually, I can't wait to see it. Sounds like a lot of thought and time went into it. I hope it solves this "World's" problem because it has indeed become just that... a problem.

Sure KIngston deflate my proposal...;)
Actually, I can't wait to see it. Sounds like a lot of thought and time went into it. I hope it solves this "World's" problem because it has indeed become just that... a problem.

I think it is an idea that people were kinda looking for. One of those things I think a lot of you could have come up with because it just kinda makes sense. We all see there is a problem, but how exactly to solve it is the trick. I think this idea that Andre has takes care of a lot of the details.

I think it is an idea that people were kinda looking for. One of those things I think a lot of you could have come up with because it just kinda makes sense. We all see there is a problem, but how exactly to solve it is the trick. I think this idea that Andre has takes care of a lot of the details.

When can we expect to read this? Because I can't wait.

I think you should have to be able to score at least a 90 to go to worlds. Teams are getting paid bids with 88 or less. They will never make the final.

Back