All-Star Worlds Bids Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Actually to be absolutly honest...we NEED teams who go to worlds by default...I mean Im certinally not going to the bathroom during World Cup Shooting Stars's performance and Im definatly not going to get a pretzel during Stingray Orange's routine...EP's know by sending teams to world's with at-large bids that get 23rd place at NCA they are building in bathroom breaks and snack breaks for spectators...god bless default teams! <3
Never have i ever thought of this. And while it hasn't happened that much recently, there are teams that come out of no where and do really well. Like when Basics took second in small senior. You never know who could pop up.

And there are judges breaks. Spectators should take advantage and get up then. Not go during performances.

imrichhowboutu said:
And there are judges breaks. Spectators should take advantage and get up then. Not go during performances.

I agree with this. I hate all the shuffling around during some of the performances; it's annoying. Especially because the team that you may not deem important, may be VERY important to the person you are shuffling in front of to go pee or get nachos.

Or, event producers can give paid bids to whoever they want, not based on score at all. You should go look at the thread on UPA nationals. As the producer stated before giving out bids, "I can say, I like that that team's uniforms are purple, and we could give a bid to them based on that". NOT joking.

So true, but then even when that's not the case, scores can be slanted to favor one team over another. Not often but yes it happens and will keep happening, whos to say that that 9 you always get in tumbling can't become a 5. That also happens.

So true, but then even when that's not the case, scores can be slanted to favor one team over another. Not often but yes it happens and will keep happening, whos to say that that 9 you always get in tumbling can't become a 5. That also happens.

Is that right? Please expand on event producers getting an entire panel of judges to cheat.

Can't wait to hear it.

acedad said:
Is that right? Please expand on event producers getting an entire panel of judges to cheat.

I feel like one corrupt judge? Fine. But 10 or so people to all risk their jobs and reputation? Ehhh I don't know about that.

Can't wait to hear it.

Yes that's right. Llike I said, one of our senior teams scored what our minis usually score in tumbling our coach tried to get the correct score based on their score sheets. We had over 50% throwing tucks, layouts and fulls. They said they would review the video and get back to us in the morning. In the morning they said we reviewed the video scores stands as is. The score was cleary for roundoffs and walkovers based on their scoresheet. No one can make them change it. Another gym owner stated that his own teams scores were all over the place and instead of having different judges for each of the elements they have one judge score all the elements. I'm not pretending to be an expert at scoring, this what happened and how it was explained to me. They also gave a team that was marking their stunts and pyramid the full score as if they had actually done performed them. And they give a bid to team that was involved in an incident that involved the police outside of the comp even though everyone signed a code of conduct letter which stated we could be disqualified. All the details are in the police report.

I don't get why you think this so shocking that it would never happen when you have score sheets that are subjective anything can happen, just like the UPA sitiuation the only thing that's different is that they admitted up front and out loud (to bad it was after teams performed) how they would give out their bid. If someone doesn't follow their own scoring system what can you do about it? Nothing you just don't go to their comps and depending on many teams you took they might not care. I'm not saying this happens all the time, I never said that but if it happens we don't need to act like it didn't happen.

And yes even if it's one judge not the entire panel it would make a huge impact on your placement.

I feel like one corrupt judge? Fine. But 10 or so people to all risk their jobs and reputation? Ehhh I don't know about that.

who said 10 or so? Ehhh I didn't and as far as ruining their reputation, i guess it depends on who you would be trying to please, that's the case in any job

It's not a perfect system. It's harder to get a bid earlier in the season. Also, depending on where you are located, or where the competitions you attend are located, it may be more difficult. By this time in the season, there are less teams looking for bids. As long as the bids are in the event producers hand, and there's no stipulation from USASF on how they must be awarded, we'll continue to have this issue. Though, as evidenced by the situation with bids for the Junior divisions last year, USASF isn't exactly perfect in awarding bids either. I agree with ACEDAD though. As long as the EP's state up front and in advance how they plan on awarding their bids, I have no issue. It's their money, and they can do as they please. It's when they start changing the rules midstream that I hate.

Yes, there are teams that are awarded bids and attend Worlds that may not reflect the "best of the best" that we all wish to see. But, those teams generally don't make it out of Prelims. If they want to spend all that money for a 1-day, that's their prerogative.
Well said.

@coast2coastfan

I was merely assuming a panel of judges consisted of 10 or so people. I'm very sorry for the situation that happened to your team. Unfortunately (and sometimes, fortunately), cheerleading is subjective, and maybe I'm naive but I like to believe there's some good eggs out there not making up scores based on the favorites of an EP. My point was that if there's one "bad judge" on a panel, I think it would be very presumptious to assume the EP had convinced an entire PANEL of judges to score unfairly as the majority of the time the judges are committed to the industry and their positions as judges- which I THINK was what ACEDAD was pointing out.

I also believe there are some good eggs out there, I actually think that's the majority, but just because there's a rotten egg and you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it can only exist in some crazy made up scheme by someone who thinks there is a conspiracy, I never said that.

Latest posts

Back