All-Star Wsa Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheysmomager

Cheer Parent
Mar 2, 2011
I was just wondering if anyone here went to WSA Nationals in New Orleans last weekend. And if you did, what did you think of it??

Just curious!!

Scoring is very different from other events and it is not my favorite scoring system. However, I liked the warm ups, production, and staff is very friendly. They did run behind due to uncontrollable circumstances by some teams. Other than it being really hard for my teams to max out the score sheet. I liked the event.

They did run behind due to uncontrollable circumstances by some teams. Other than it being really hard for my teams to max out the score sheet. I liked the event.

Well, I do have to admit that a lot of the reason they were running behind was due to my gym. Due to circumstances out of our control, we have one young lady that is quad-teaming for the rest of the season. She is on 2 cheer teams and both our dance teams. We don't make a practice of that, but we had injuries that had to be covered. But WSA did know long before they made the schedule and yet the still scheduled one cheer team and one dance team within 10 minuets of each other. I will say on behalf of our gym (I do not own it nor work for them) that we are sorry for any inconviences to your teams!!

I just had a big problem with their scoring. My daughters team got 2nd place. I did watch one of the performances of the 1st place team and not that they were bad.....but their difficulty level was very low and many members did make obvious mistakes. I do want to say, that normally I am a very positive and supportive person (I even support opposing teams if I know someone), but even I couldn't pretend to be happy about 2nd place. All of the parents on our team were mad!! We're not saying our team is the greatest, but they were obviously better than that team. Their routine was a a higher difficulty level and they stuck all their stunts. Yes they made mistakes, but they were little ones and far less than that other team.

Now that I got that off my chest, I will apologize for my attitude. I don't like appearing like a 'poor sport' or 'sore loser' but even my un-trained eye saw all that.

I am sorry!! Thank you for letting me vent!!

It's ok to vent. We all get a little peeved at times. I can tell you that WSA has the hardest scoring system and generally if you can max out their sheets then you can kill varsity's and JamBrands's. If you truly feel like your team was misjudged then please feel free to contact them. I believe their cell numbers are even on their website. www.wsacheer.com. I had a ranging issue during the day on day 2 and the head judge sat and watched film with me. I'm sure they will do the same for you.

I had a team in 4th on day 1 and then dropped to 6th on day 2. Were we confused yes, maybe even mad, probably. But thats why we play the sport. And that's what happens when you enter competition. I definitely had to explain that to my parents. If you think its a ranging issue than yes definitely call WSA and have them help you.If you think is a judges perception then just remember that's why we play the sport. The judges are looking at the teams and judging them how they see fit. I do know WSA has a judges credentialing system and test so I'm sure the judges know how to judge on their score sheet. So they are qualified to judge there.

WSA is pretty competitive event. Most divisions have 6-10 teams in them. So 2nd place is very good placement. I'm sorry if I don't feel sympathy for you with second place. I remember watching some of your teams and especially the team you are talking about. Y'all were very good and I'm sure that's frustrating, but don't let that ruin your kids' experience. You should be very proud of yourself and your team.

Hopefully we'll see y'all again next year at grand nationals, and the best of luck to you for the rest of your season.
Please read Justin Carrier's blog. "I hope you lose" It'll change how you view about competition.

I'm sorry if I don't feel sympathy for you with second place.

Oh please don't!! That is what is so upsetting to me. I'm not compeititve and I truly appreciate 2nd place....especially with that team. At the beginning of this year, we thought they would never place much above last place. Too many that didn't know what they were doing and too many that didn't care. They have truly turned themselves around this year (2011) and shocked us all!! That is why it bothered me so much to post that! I am very supportive and all I care about is that my daughter tries her best. I was so upset with myself for not being over-joyed at 2nd!!

And I would NEVER call a judge or company. No more than I would question a doctor. I know that know far more than I do. I've just been a spectator almost 7 years now. I am not one of those parents and never will be!! I think that is why my daughter has done so well (progressed ect), because I'm always cheering her on as long as she tries.

Our coaches did have to call them out on a scoring error after Saturdays performance. We got a big deduction because they thought we didn't have enough running tumblers. Our coaches pointed out to them, the owner (much to my shock) that they were incorrect and they did change if for us.....although they were'nt too happy.

It's so hard to explaine why I feel this way cause it is so out of character for me. And i think that fact fueled my dissapointment even more. I wasn't upset when they got 13th or 11th. There was just something different this time.

Please don't think I'm upset because my daughter's team didn't win!! She is finally at a gym that she will be able to win with!! She has be on some cruddy teams (due to where we lived) and is used to being last or barly above. CA Nationals in Jan was the very first time they hit all their stunts. The did it also the second day and she had never been on a team that did that!! Then, much to our suprise, they got 4th out of 10 at NCA (and trust me...I wasn't at all upset at that). I'm not mad cause my daughter didn't win....hell, for that matter she's got many years ahead of her to win. I'm glad they have pulled it together so well!!

It was just different.
I'm very sorry!!

Why do you think y'all are ok with 4th at NCA nationals and not 2nd at WSA nationals? Think things are bigger in Texas? (ahaha just kidding). Please remember that I am in this post I am not trying to be rude. Just giving you another perspective.

I'm sure your parental instinct took over and wanted to protect your cp from getting upset. Please just know that when you say"I'm not one of those parents" and then you make a post on FB ripping an event company for judges decisions about a team that you thought was not as good as yours. It really makes you "one of those parents" IMO.... took this from your earlier post...

but even I couldn't pretend to be happy about 2nd place.
but their difficulty level was very low and many members did make obvious mistakes
but they were obviously better than that team.
even my un-trained eye saw all that

Please do not take offense. I'm only playing devil's advocate. My 4th place team had their absolute best performance of the year on day 2 and we moved down to 6th. I was sure they would move to 3rd with my "trained" eye, I was a little confused. BUT I sat in front of those kids and parents, and told them that regardless of placement, I have never been more proud of a team that I've coached in my entire life. (Honestly the whole routine was flawless) And now the buzz at the gym is how much that team "killed it" at WSA nationals. My parents are getting privates for their cp's to improve skills and all the kids are so excited about getting to do it again at US Finals. We took something sooo hurtful and turned it into something very very positive. And all because I stepped out and poured my heart in to a team that was awarded 6th. (We were undefeated until CHEERSPORT, where we got 5th). Most of the time kids only get disappointed because they feel like their coaches or parents are disappointed. This isn't baseball where is I score more runs I win. This sport is supper subjective so 2nd - last place teams will always be upset. We need to remember that the morals involved are more important than the placement at a competition.

Thanks for your passion for your cp and the sport. I wish your cp the best and hopefully you guys will continue with your success :)

I promise you it took me almost 2 hours to post my usual "CONGRATS 2ND PLACE" on fb. It takes way more than a bump in the road of my daughters young life for me to post negativity. I am friends with all her friends and many of her teammates.

I completely understand your playing devils advocate, my mom taught me that early on but I think that if you actually knew me you would realize that this is way out of character and it has bothered me so much becuase of my feeling about it.

And I don't have a "cp" (although she thinks she's one). I don't take my daughters side when she's arguing with friends unless I was there and heard it all. I do know she's not perfect, and she makes mistakes. She won't even come to me anymore when she and a friend are fighting.

I just can't keep this up. You really have no idea who you are talking to. I am NOT proud of my feelings about this event and only posted it here because I needed to get it out of my system. I am not slamming WSA, the judges, the other team or anything. I am really more slamming myself. If you notice this is all I posted to begin with

I was just wondering if anyone here went to WSA Nationals in New Orleans last weekend. And if you did, what did you think of it??
Just curious!!

I didn't post this to slam them or cry because my daughter didn't win. I let the thread open up before I stated how I felt. And, I even admitted to you that we were the reason they were so behind. I am sorry that you felt the need to defend them. I told you I DID NOT know better than them and was just frustrated at my own feelings.

I don't think that you will fully understand because you don't know me. And I'm not at all upset at you. But I just feel like you have the wrong idea and I'm tired of defending myself about this. This is my first (and I now know ONLY) negative post. I just wanted someone to talk to!

Good luck on the remainder of your season (if you have any left)!!

I wasn't at this years WSA Grand Nationals, but have judged it in the past including last year. The most important thing everyone should know about this competition is that they only count your best day. A team can absolutely fall all over the place on Sunday and if they had a great day on Saturday they can still win.

@cheysmomager Sorry my FB was Fierceboard not Facebook. I also wasn't using cp as a negative term. Its just a fierceboard term for cheerleader not meaning she's needy or whiny. Many parents' will say "my cp" so sorry for mis communicating it. I apologize for not being clear. Totally understand where you are coming from and respect your feelings. You sound like one of the awesome supportive moms that are a coaches dream and hopefully we can keep you from being "one of those moms" that's why I said no offense.

@cheysmomager Sorry my FB was Fierceboard not Facebook. I also wasn't using cp as a negative term. Its just a fierceboard term for cheerleader not meaning she's needy or whiny. Many parents' will say "my cp" so sorry for mis communicating it. I apologize for not being clear. Totally understand where you are coming from and respect your feelings. You sound like one of the awesome supportive moms that are a coaches dream and hopefully we can keep you from being "one of those moms" that's why I said no offense.

I promise I have not been offended by anything you have said!! You have every right to your opionion as do I. I just feel bad because I really can't explain it without it coming out wrong. That's why I haven't said anything to any "non-cheer" person because they definatly wouldn't understand. And all I have done in conversations with you is bury myself further. It's just a very confusing situation that I am in. I can't correctly explain it but yet I don't understand why I'm feeling it.

Best wishes!!

[quote="Cheer_Explosion_Coach, post: 318945Please read Justin Carrier's blog. "I hope you lose" It'll change how you view about competition.[/quote].

Just because you said that, I went back and did re-read the blog. I am sorry, but that doesn't apply to me. I have never gone to any comp expecting to win. It wasn't until this year that we had the opportunity to join a gym that wasn't always in last (we live in the country and financially it's hard). And this team has struggled hard this year. One of the coaches even said earlier this year that they didn't have a chance at NCA and we were really only going for the bid teams. At that time, he was right. I am actually more shocked when the team does well, than when they come in last. This was just different. I can't explain it and I am probably wrong. But I am not saying the team that won didn't deserve to. I only saw one performance.

Please don't think that I am all about winning or all about my daughter. Sure I have confidence in her and I will always support her, but I don't expect to win. I just want her guarentee she tried her best. That all I care about.

I am sorry to keep obsessing over this, but it bothers me for anyone to think that I am that way cause nothing could be farther from the truth. I have actually sat with team parents (that were my friends) that were competiting against us and cheered their kid on too.

Two years ago my youth level 1 was the only team we had. We took on WSA Grand Nationals expecting to place middle of the pack or higher bc we were winning top 3 all season. We got last! 10th out of 10. They were excellent but I didn't understand the scoring system. I told the owner, Darren Demoss that we wouldn't be returning to Grand Nationals bc I didn't care for his scoring system. We talked for TWO hours!! He then went on a mission to revamp his scoring system a bit and he even added webinars on the website so coaches could understand it better. I gave it one more chance and now i LOVE it!

If your kids placed 2nd at Grand Nationals then I KNOW they looked good bc it's the toughest scoresheet out there. Congrats!!

And yes it was my team that placed 1st in that division : )

What's done is done and it over but now I'm curious. Those that have replied stated how "different" the judging at WSA is. I thought that all companies followed the basic guidlines of the USASF with minor differences here and there. How can this company be sooo different??

NOTE: I am not saying anything against WSA or our teams placement.....you just all have me curious now. Looks like my cp will be in this for a while and I like to learn as much as I can.

Back