All-Star Wsa Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheysmomager said:
What's done is done and it over but now I'm curious. Those that have replied stated how "different" the judging at WSA is. I thought that all companies followed the basic guidlines of the USASF with minor differences here and there. How can this company be sooo different??

NOTE: I am not saying anything against WSA or our teams placement.....you just all have me curious now. Looks like my cp will be in this for a while and I like to learn as much as I can.

First, I need to say I misread your post--I actually am not sure what division you were talking about and we only placed first in one---so it may not have been us at all lol!

They follow USASF rules but USASF has nothing to do with scoring. That is the EPs responsibility.
WSA places a high importance on range--if the majority +1 is performing the skill then you are off to a good start! If it's less than that, you'll drop to a lower range and they can't score you higher than a 7, etc. Y'all are prob hitting your ranges.

Also, if there are falls, it will knock you down at least one place if not more (this doesn't include nationals bc they take the best score you have whether it's on Sat or Sun)

The main thing is clean, good technique and timing and all the other elements a good routine needs. If you max out difficulty in every section (tosses, stunts, pyramids, tumbling) then as long as you're clean and hit you are going to place well. Dance, jumps, etc aren't judged on difficulty but technique so those are the "judges opinion" sections. We have to max difficulty on those too bc other events we attend DO have a difficulty score for them.

Again, 2nd at Grand Nationals is a big deal (we only got 3rd, 4th and 8th in our other divisions and those teams were hot!) so I'm thinking your team is probably rockin it!

That's interesting to me that dance isn't as important there. I really enjoy watching the dance section of all teams. And I really like the 'harder' dances in each division. I do like our dance, but I have no idea where it would rank as far as difficulty in the entire level.

I don't know that I would say our team is actually "rockin it" really! They have come a long way and suprised quite a few of us. But thank you for the kind words.

Congratulations to your gym also!! Sounds like almost all of your teams did really well!! Do you have a lev 5 team? I have always wondered what happened to that one girl that got hurt and they had to take off the floor. Nobody from our gym was anywhere close at the time (my cp team was back in warm ups) and didn't hear about it.

I was at WSA nationals in new orleans. The judging was VERY different. My team was in one of the level 5 divisions and Lousisana Rebel and such but we were the LARGEST team in our division everyone else had 20 and below. Generals were in a division with small senior teams at first but then they somehow got into their own division...I was quite confused why we werent in a large divsion. But the competition was good, I cant quite decide if I like the way they did the bids and wins...To me a team should get a bid if they are CONSISTANT both days and score high enough. But at WSA you only had to hit your routine once and you were good.

But on the plus side they competition had free admission for parents and spectators both days and also they have a participant dance saturday night in the host hotel

But on the plus side they competition had free admission for parents and spectators both days and also they have a participant dance saturday night in the host hotel

A BIG plus!! I only have to pay for one (not married and don't have any other children) but even for a family of 4 (2 parents and a sibling) that can get rather costly!!

It wasn't until this year that I learned what the divisions for the gym were. I thought our move to this new gym would put us in the large division, but the owner/coach explained that it's basied on the total amount in the gym. And, much to my suprise (I guess there was more) that placed us in small division.

cheysmomager said:
That's interesting to me that dance isn't as important there. I really enjoy watching the dance section of all teams. And I really like the 'harder' dances in each division. I do like our dance, but I have no idea where it would rank as far as difficulty in the entire level.

I don't know that I would say our team is actually "rockin it" really! They have come a long way and suprised quite a few of us. But thank you for the kind words.

Congratulations to your gym also!! Sounds like almost all of your teams did really well!! Do you have a lev 5 team? I have always wondered what happened to that one girl that got hurt and they had to take off the floor. Nobody from our gym was anywhere close at the time (my cp team was back in warm ups) and didn't hear about it.

I agree about the dances! I think I'd like to see more weight given to choreography but I think all those sections added up plus the overall impression score is what gives it importance.

You're welcome (and I love that dark horse team that makes you want to jump out of your skin with excitement!--sounds like y'all have been very pleased with their progress.) We don't have a level 5 yet bc I just started this program in 2008 with 18 youth level 1s! I hope to have one within the next 4 or 5 years.....I think (seems like a highly criticized level so I def want to prepare my teams carefully!) lol
I heard about several injuries and saw several wheelchair bound kids (wth??) in warm ups but I didn't hear about the girl being carried offstage.....I hope it wasn't too serious! Eek!

I love their perks (free admission, coaches party on Bourbon!). It's a very fun event if you aren't confused lol! I remember being frustrated a this event before but I see progress from them every year so that's a big plus

I was at WSA nationals in new orleans. The judging was VERY different. My team was in one of the level 5 divisions and Lousisana Rebel and such but we were the LARGEST team in our division everyone else had 20 and below. Generals were in a division with small senior teams at first but then they somehow got into their own division...I was quite confused why we werent in a large divsion. But the competition was good, I cant quite decide if I like the way they did the bids and wins...To me a team should get a bid if they are CONSISTANT both days and score high enough. But at WSA you only had to hit your routine once and you were good.

yeaa but even if they would have judged the right way generals would be in the large devision they would have still gotten it cause there routine just scores high

yeaa but even if they would have judged the right way generals would be in the large devision they would have still gotten it cause there routine just scores high

your exactly right and my post never said anything about them not deserving or earning it. They def earned it! im just saying i dont like the way they judged the competition. but heck we can say woulda coulda shoulda but they wont change anything

And I would NEVER call a judge or company. No more than I would question a doctor. I know that know far more than I do. I've just been a spectator almost 7 years now.

Obviously nothing to do with cheerleading, but that statement is kind of scary. :(

Obviously nothing to do with cheerleading, but that statement is kind of scary. :(

Didn't mean to be scary.....thought everyone would understand my point. All I meant was that with my minimal knowledge of cheer, I'm not about to question a judge or coach (with a few exceptions).

Back