Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is 20 too old to start cheer

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
May 7, 2018
I’m an ex-dancer with little to no cheer skills so I’m VERY new to the cheer world but have been a fan since 10 y/o but my parents never allowed me but now I’m an adult now soo

Tumble Skills: I only learned how to do a backwalkover(but I lost it since it’s been so long)
-spotted on bhs
-perfect cartwheel,
-iffy if on the round off,
-front limber
-bridge up and down is easy.

Flexibility wise:
- I used to have all three splits
-right oversplits
-close to my left
-Close to my middle.
-I can do an oversplits toe touch on a trampoline but not even close to 180 in floor.
-spike/straight scorpion,
-scale
arabesque

(but that won’t matter because I’m not even sure if I’d be a flyer and I won’t care if I’am or not I think it’s good to be well rounded).

Goal:
So really not much skill.
I was hoping if I I could train all summer long and this year to hopefully make/tryout for my university’s team (SMU) next year and possibly if there’s ever a chance (probably slim to none) to make a worlds team the following year or by 3 years.

Concern:
The reason I think it’s a slim chance to make an open worlds team is because my local gym is Cheer Athletics they are the best. But I will train there starting this summer hoping for some kind of progress.

Question:
Will it look weird a 20 y/o trying to learn the basics at a gym where almost everyone is a champion and have their doubles? Is it too late and unrealistic?
Thank you!❤️

Extra comment from the author: Worlds is 100% far feftched I believe after reading other forums. is 3 years at least even possible for a worlds team? I have a lot of drive I pick up fast but I understand it’s REALLY hard and it takes more than what people think. That’s why I hope to learn at CA.

Since worlds is more than likely far fetched is NCA at least possible with Savagecats & my university??

Thanks!

@FlexiDani
So I had cheered all through middle school and high school, then took 3 years off and cheered junior year of college on an open 4 team. Then took another 5 years off. I moved to Texas to be closer to family, just outside of Dallas, and thought I would take a shot at coming back to have a year to cheer at CA. Best decision I ever made. Went to tryouts with a ro-bhs and that's about it. Not gonna lie, I was a little intimidated at tryouts but there was absolutely no reason to be (I was 24 at tryouts). All the coaches are amazingly friendly and cheer you on even if you mess up. They split you up at tryouts based on what skills you have so everyone around me had similar skills to me. While yes I was the oldest, it didn't feel like it based on how they treated everyone the same. While I would have loved to make a Worlds team, I knew that was highly unlikely and I was honestly just hoping to make any team. I was placed on Savagecats and had a great year and won NCA. Some of my teammates from last year worked on skills all year and then were placed on Worlds teams for this season, so yes that is definitely possible!

There was a post I saw on Twitter by a parent saying her cp had gone from prep to Panthers in 3 or 4 seasons? So it's definitely possible if you put in the work. What you have going for you is that your older so you can take direction well. My athlete is 16 and her tumbling has sky rocketed since coming back a month ago. It's because she understands how to implement the corrections she's being given rather than thinking of her favorite Dipping Dots flavor while the coach is talking to her.
Also, paying for it yourself being an adult is going to make you work harder because it's your money being put up. It's like when I went to college the 1at time, I partied the whole time because it wasn't my dime I was on. When I went back at 28 you better believe I was getting straight A's.
If you get a chance watch any big gym Worlds team on Youtube or FloCheer. Pick an athlete and follow them in the routine. You will be surprised how sometimes they may not throw one tumbling pass.
Last point. From what we were told at our parent meeting, tumbling has been downgraded immensely on the score sheet from previous seasons. The emphasis is being put on stunting. So concern about tumbling may be a non-issue for you at a big gym like CA.

How are things progressing for you? I would really like to know how your skills are progressing and wish you the best.

I just found this forum today and I have roughly the same skills you listed. I took tumbling for a (very) short time to add to dance and competitive twirling repertoire, but once I turned 18, the local gym said they couldn't train me anymore because of insurance reasons.

I am, um, much older now, and will begin training at a different gym next week, and I have to admit that I'm excited but afraid of looking like a freak trying to get my bhs without a spot, and I have not stretched properly in years because I got involved in other activities which seem to have tightened my muscles significantly.

@FlexiDani, I will be the first to tell you, go for your dreams and passion, NOW! I think the worse thing in life is to have the desire to do something and not do it and years later (10+ years) sitting around talking about how you wish you shoulda, coulda, woulda cheer and have regrets... YOLO, so get out there and cheer... Good luck!

@FlexiDani, I will be the first to tell you, go for your dreams and passion, NOW! I think the worse thing in life is to have the desire to do something and not do it and years later (10+ years) sitting around talking about how you wish you shoulda, coulda, woulda cheer and have regrets... YOLO, so get out there and cheer... Good luck!

That is definately the attitude!!

I know this is old, but did you make a team? If not, I would recommend looking into a Non-tumbling team!! I've been out of cheer for years and I'm looking to go back, so that's what I'm going to do. I was never much of a tumbler either.

Back