All-Star 2011 Results

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In my perfect world, every number written down by every judge would be public knowledge. (comments can be left for coaches eyes only) However, I would be thrilled to just have the average of every number for every team. (every team's average stunt difficulty score, their average exeution score, etc.)

Among the reasons I have been given (none of which I agree with):

1. Too difficult/expensive/time consuming.
2. Coaches would be even more mad about results if they knew the true reason they lost.
3. Large gyms would be given an even bigger advantage than they already have.
4. Don't want to expose the judges to more criticism.
5. Losing teams would be embarrassed by their scores.

I personally believe that the primary reason is the fear of exposing mistakes. The top tier of judges are excellent & highly knowledgeable, but there is pretty significant drop off after that, IMO. Coming up with numerous panels that are all qualified and unbiased is an extremely tall order for EPs.

I also believe that the majority of arithmetic & "out of theoretical range" mistakes go unnoticed or unreported. Few coaches actually go through and double check the math when you eventually get the scoresheets back. We have seen enough mistakes to know to ALWAYS check them, but sometimes you simply don't have time to do that at an event. If the scores were public, these would get noticed almost immediately in most cases.
Thanks, I just like to know what others are being told as well. I think #4 is the real reason but 1,2,3 and 5 are cop outs, but is what it is. I agree with you 100% about releasing everything, if you got something to hide chances are there's a reason.

I just finished all of level 1 & 2 on the NCA spreadsheet. Might be able to do a little more later :)

I updated the program medals on the Worlds sheet.

Among the reasons I have been given (none of which I agree with):

1. Too difficult/expensive/time consuming.
2. Coaches would be even more mad about results if they knew the true reason they lost.
3. Large gyms would be given an even bigger advantage than they already have.
4. Don't want to expose the judges to more criticism.
5. Losing teams would be embarrassed by their scores.

I personally believe that the primary reason is the fear of exposing mistakes. The top tier of judges are excellent & highly knowledgeable, but there is pretty significant drop off after that, IMO. Coming up with numerous panels that are all qualified and unbiased is an extremely tall order for EPs.

I also believe that the majority of arithmetic & "out of theoretical range" mistakes go unnoticed or unreported. Few coaches actually go through and double check the math when you eventually get the scoresheets back. We have seen enough mistakes to know to ALWAYS check them, but sometimes you simply don't have time to do that at an event. If the scores were public, these would get noticed almost immediately in most cases.

I talked to Justin Carrier about this last years NCA. He said he had the least amount of complaints ever and NCA was the biggest it had ever been. Two things he cited for that: The second year on the Varsity scoring system (which is really the NCA scoring system one decimal place over) AND releasing all the scores for everyone in your division to the coaches. The funny thing is when you SEE your scores and your competitions and you see that Team A out jumped you instead of getting mad at the judges and competition you FINALLY have a reason they beat you! You have something to work on! Crazy I know!

Though this years Varsity scoresheet is going to be heck in a hand basket. The highest raw scores won't necessarily win... sigh...

I talked to Justin Carrier about this last years NCA. He said he had the least amount of complaints ever and NCA was the biggest it had ever been. Two things he cited for that: The second year on the Varsity scoring system (which is really the NCA scoring system one decimal place over) AND releasing all the scores for everyone in your division to the coaches. The funny thing is when you SEE your scores and your competitions and you see that Team A out jumped you instead of getting mad at the judges and competition you FINALLY have a reason they beat you! You have something to work on! Crazy .

I foresee an "I told you so" moment happening the next time I see him. I'm not always right, but on this issue, I am absolutely convinced that it is a long term win-win for the industry.

Now, lets keep that trend going and get even MORE openness!

@BlueCat I updated the Gold Medal winners with the 2011 winners so the tab could be renamed 04-11.

Back