All-Star 2012 Nca High School Nationals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No, because you have to qualify at a Regionals and they don't start holding them till late October.

Gotcha. I'm a UCA-er, so didnt know about that. It's interesting, doesn't give you much time to work as a team before you have to qualify. Do they hold qualification comps as well?

I wasn't aware of that either until I started cheering for my school this year hahaha We went to NCA camp and that's when they told us we can earn a bid there. Honestly, I am not sure about whether or not they have qualifying comps. But at camp you go through some evaluations which is when they pretty much just grade you on your "performance". They teach you some cheers and chants and you get to pick a cheer and a chant to perform for your evaluation. Your chant has to be 3-3-3 style. You can change up the motions to the cheer and add on or add stunts/tosses if you want to. Honestly, it's not hard (at all) to get a bid.... UCA is definitely tougher. But it's still super fun!! :)

I do like how NCA Nationals has two parts, the game day routine and the competition routine. I wonder if they allow a school to send two different teams? I'm thinking you may have someone who is a great game day cheerleader, but not so great for a competition routine, or vice versa. That would be nice, to allow more kids the opportunity to compete at Nationals. I have noticed that NCA is less "National" than UCA, it seems to be mostly teams from LA, TX, OK. I know UCA isn't really National either though, because some states (GA, SC, WV) don't allow their cheerleaders to compete out of state.

I do like how NCA Nationals has two parts, the game day routine and the competition routine. I wonder if they allow a school to send two different teams? I'm thinking you may have someone who is a great game day cheerleader, but not so great for a competition routine, or vice versa. That would be nice, to allow more kids the opportunity to compete at Nationals. I have noticed that NCA is less "National" than UCA, it seems to be mostly teams from LA, TX, OK. I know UCA isn't really National either though, because some states (GA, SC, WV) don't allow their cheerleaders to compete out of state.

About getting a bid if you don't get one at camp, this is what an NCA Staffer told me, "You can either attend an NCA regional competition to qualify or send in a DVD of a 30 second cheer portion(no music) highlighting the competition team's best skills (the form is included in the NCA HS Nationals packet online out of 20 pages). Depending on the DVD video and the division you put down that you're trying to qualify for, they can give you a bid. Most teams just get them at camp though because it's pretty easy at camp to qualify. Second choice would be the DVD submission probably." And you can bring more than one team because there were multiple schools who braught their JV and Varsity team that got a bid (including mine) but I think they have to compete in different divisions. (Unlike allstar where at American Grand we competed against 2 Cheerforce teams in the same division.) I'm not sure if your JV team HAS to compete under JV and what not because they do have multiple other divisions. High School cheerleading is still kind of confusing to me hahaha I'm trying to get the hang of things.

I've always wondered if a school could have a team in lets say small varsity and medium varsity. It only adds up to 28 athletes which is still less than a Mega/Super Varsity team.

I've always wondered if a school could have a team in lets say small varsity and medium varsity. It only adds up to 28 athletes which is still less than a Mega/Super Varsity team.

I think this would be really cool. I know that HS sports are expensive, but I don't know why we have to be all elitest about it! Some schools have so much talent (I'm not just talking cheer here, but other sports too) but a limited number of roster spots (like in basketball, you have a very small number of players)....why not instead of just Varsity and JV have Varsity Black, Varsity Red and 2 JV teams?

My High School brought 4 teams to NCA in their 08-09 and 09-10 Nationals. I was on Medium Varsity in 08-09 and Large Varsity 09-10 but we never brought more than one Varsity team. Im not sure if thats allowed but it could be. Anyways we dont go to NCA Nationals anymore, I just graduated, but we switched to UCA last year because NCA kept "screwing over" Varsity every year..and yeah it did suck loosing with all of our other teams getting jackets .. (But our JV squad won 4 years in a row) So theyre not going to NCA, I guess the main point of this long post was to say that we brought a lot of teams but never more than one Varsity team. I think schools would rather branch into a lot of divisions, and put their main talent on one Varsity team. Or again, there could be rules against it.

My High School brought 4 teams to NCA in their 08-09 and 09-10 Nationals. I was on Medium Varsity in 08-09 and Large Varsity 09-10 but we never brought more than one Varsity team. Im not sure if thats allowed but it could be. Anyways we dont go to NCA Nationals anymore, I just graduated, but we switched to UCA last year because NCA kept "screwing over" Varsity every year..and yeah it did suck loosing with all of our other teams getting jackets .. (But our JV squad won 4 years in a row) So theyre not going to NCA, I guess the main point of this long post was to say that we brought a lot of teams but never more than one Varsity team. I think schools would rather branch into a lot of divisions, and put their main talent on one Varsity team. Or again, there could be rules against it.

Did you have multiple JV teams?

Did you have multiple JV teams?
No.. One year our middle school competed in Sideline and Fight song. And if I'm not mistaken Cascia Hall Varsity competed in two different divisions this year as well, but I dont remember which they were. I also dont think many schools have a big or strong enough program to make two Varsity teams, but I could see two JV teams happening. My school's program is the largest that I know of, I dont remember any other HS at NCA bringing more than 2 teams, but I could surely be wrong.

Back