Team for the World Championships

Alyssa Baumann, Plano, Texas/WOGA
Simone Biles, Spring, Texas/World Champions Centre
Madison Desch, Blue Springs, Mo./GAGE
Madison Kocian, Dallas/WOGA
Ashton Locklear, Huntersville, N.C./Everest Gymnastics
Kyla Ross, Aliso Viejo, Calif./Gym-Max
MyKayla Skinner, Gilbert, Ariz./Desert Lights

The non-traveling alternate is Brenna Dowell of Odessa, Mo./GAGE.

Ugh so sad for Brenna. Barring a meltdown, Simone should take the Worlds title again. But I think all together they might have their hands full in the team competition. A lot of new faces there.

I loved that Brenna Dowell's bar routine when watching the P&G meet - really artistic and interesting skills she has in it, and it really stood out to me - what a bummer she didn't make the team. I liked that Alyssa's Bauman's style - she reminds me of Nastia (prob cause she's coached by her dad) - my CP and I were big Nastia fans her Olympic year.

Simone is just in a league of her own she's so good. Her floor and beam are amazing.

Girl. Yes.

The skill @ 1:39 would look amazing if done in a circle of people in a cheer routine. Simone is a straight-up GODDESS. I've never seen a gymnast tumble with that degree of power and technique... and she stuck her landings like nothing.

Last edited:

the rio outlook was most interesting to me. didn't realize Aly was the only 2010 worlds athlete to make the 2012 olympic team. i hope Simone can hold out but i really think she is peaking now (praying she can continue to dominate for the next 2 years, injury free)

the rio outlook was most interesting to me. didn't realize Aly was the only 2010 worlds athlete to make the 2012 olympic team. i hope Simone can hold out but i really think she is peaking now (praying she can continue to dominate for the next 2 years, injury free)

Simone I can actually see making 2016 Rio as long as she holds up physically.

I can maybe see Kyla making it...

But as far as other actual 2012 Olympic come backs...I wouldn't hold my breath.

I wish they would go back to the days of larger Olympic teams

They put up a graphic during the P&G championships with this info and I was surprised as well. Going to be a very interesting two years.

Thanks for posting - interesting info. Such a shame about the injuries - I didn't know about Maggie Nichols' knee injury, gosh that sucks - hope she's able to recover - knee injuries are not easy to overcome in gymnastics. Katelyn Ohashi was one of my favorites and it's a shame to not see her in the game anymore :(. I wish someone could figure out a good way to prevent these top talent kids from burning out and peaking too early.

I can see Simone making Rio. She seems to be in such great shape and her coach looks like she knows what she is doing. Simone's doing such difficult routines, but she does them with such ease. She could probably do much more, but her coach seems to be taking it slow. As for Kyla, I don't think she'll be in Rio unless she can upgrade significantly. The US has a ton of great gymnasts who will be overshadowing her by then if she doesn't.

I'm overall happy about the Worlds team. I wish Brenna Dowell was going over Desch, but Dowell hasn't done AA since March and hasn't been hitting the only event she's been doing. So happy that MyKayla Skinner is going. She's sloppy, but I love her.

I think Team USA will do well at Worlds! It'll be a great competition to watch.

Back