All-Star 2021 Worlds - Day 3 Discussion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here's an idea:

How about scoring. teams. on. the. Worlds. scoring. system. all. season?

The issue is folks are scored on the Varsity sheet all year getting 99.this and 99.that all season with different deductions, etc.

Then we get to Worlds and everyone is so shocked because omg what do you mean we have hit zero and got 99.8 all season.

Consistency would help.

I mean, think about something like the NFL, If a touchdown was 6 points all season, then in the Super Bowl, it became 3 points, that would be nonsensical.

Comparative scoring be like that to be honest… a team can hit both days and have pretty different scores after the judges have compared them against their rivals that went before them.
I don’t understand the comparison scoring. I mean I understand but I don’t get how they actually execute it. Do they wait until the whole division is done?

I don’t understand the comparison scoring. I mean I understand but I don’t get how they actually execute it. Do they wait until the whole division is done?
No, they score after each team like normal. They just compare to everyone they've already seen in the division.

They score in real time, but will hold back scores earlier in the division, so they have room to award higher scores if someone is better. With the Worlds scoresheet, the scores actually don't matter. You are being judged for your skills against what everyone else is doing.

They score in real time, but will hold back scores earlier in the division, so they have room to award higher scores if someone is better. With the Worlds scoresheet, the scores actually don't matter. You are being judged for your skills against what everyone else is doing.

Viewed in the light of comparative scoring, the results make more sense.

I really think teams need to be scored comparatively all season long.

A lot less "How did we have an undefeated season and come in second/third/etc?" would be going on every year.

Comparative scoring be like that to be honest… a team can hit both days and have pretty different scores after the judges have compared them against their rivals that went before them.
I think the issue teams had were that they were getting high scores on one element day one. And then hitting again day two and get a much lower score in the exact same element. I can see why that's frustrating for coaches, who possibly would have made changes after day one in order to maximize their score for day two but since they think nothing is wrong because of the higher score go into day 2 thinking their fine and then come out with a much lower score.....

I think the issue teams had were that they were getting high scores on one element day one. And then hitting again day two and get a much lower score in the exact same element. I can see why that's frustrating for coaches, who possibly would have made changes after day one in order to maximize their score for day two but since they think nothing is wrong because of the higher score go into day 2 thinking their fine and then come out with a much lower score.....
All part of how comparative scoring works. The actual scores mean nothing, the only focus is the placements.

Look, I’ll say it. Some of those score breakdowns are pretty shady. Really shady. You can give me comparative scoring excuses, but after seeing the crap this industry pulls... It’s not surprising.
I don’t belong to any gym, I fan girl for good, solid cheerleading. I can only think of one gym that I feel pretty strongly about due to what I believe is terrible leadership, and even then I could at least admit when they do well and should win. Some of the breakdowns are truly baffling. When you add in things that have happened this year, it’s hard not to think some things are a bit suspect.

Look, I’ll say it. Some of those score breakdowns are pretty shady. Really shady. You can give me comparative scoring excuses, but after seeing the crap this industry pulls... It’s not surprising.
I don’t belong to any gym, I fan girl for good, solid cheerleading. I can only think of one gym that I feel pretty strongly about due to what I believe is terrible leadership, and even then I could at least admit when they do well and should win. Some of the breakdowns are truly baffling. When you add in things that have happened this year, it’s hard not to think some things are a bit suspect.
I haven't looked at all of the breakdowns, just all the top teams, and didn't see anything very questionable. But, overall, I can't think of any placements that I feel were wrong, which I feel is what really matters. There are a couple that I could have seen go either way, but none that are truly surprising to me.
I'm not saying that things didn't happen, wouldn't surprise me in the least with USASF. But I do feel that placements are accurate.

I remember teams use to have The Champions League as that one non-Worlds meet to gauge how’d they do comparatively to the other teams in their division.

There’s no such competition anymore, am I right? Or rather The Champions League still exists but the top teams don’t attend anymore.

The issue even then is that you can’t really fully gauge unless everyone hits + routines don’t change at Worlds. Reality is that some teams hit and some teams don’t, routines get upgraded/undergo changes etc.

I’ve already accepted that there’s no way to really replicate how well you’ll do at Worlds based off your previous competitions. You just have to be the best during finals (given you make the finals), that’s all.

I know people hate the unpredictability, but it’s that heart-racing, vomit-inducing excitement that kinda gets us all passionate about Worlds and this sport in general.

I don't know much about scoring but from what I saw a few coaches were complaining about dance scores and how drastically different they were from day 1 to day 2. And a few stunting complaints here and there from some teams after day 2 scores.... I do wish day one scores had some impact, cause again what's the point of a day one.... but overall I found almost all of the top 3 placements in every division pretty fair this year.

Unrelated but it looks like Andy’s YouTube page was once again copyright struck by Flo. How can they even claim copyright?

Back