All-Star ..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

OP is definitely not a LOVE parent, they had posted in other threads about Spirit Fest or whatever that comp in Connecticut is and Cheer Tyme didn't go to that comp. So my guess is that OP is from that "other" gym with a LAG team.

On the subject of packets and fees, I really appreciate the gyms that publish their tryout packets. I like being an informed consumer. Every season at this time, I start looking for packets of local gyms so I can see if I'm still getting a good value for my child's cheer experience or if I need to reevaluate our decision. I wish they were all so detailed as the one I previously mentioned...my child's current gym also makes financial commitment clear.

Ultimate Athletics is sooooooooooo good at this. I love how accessible their information is. It may not be the program for us because of cost and they travel a LOT... But at least we'll be able to make that decision based on real information. They get a lot of points for transparency. Their entire packet is on their website with cost breakdowns and practice schedule for this year. Obviously the practice schedule would change, but at least it gives a good look at what types of schedules they have (how many days a week, hours, etc).

There are so many gyms whose websites I've looked at and they have nothing! But if you try to call... Also nothing. I move right on when I get to sites like that. I'm not driving an hour to get information from you.

I loooooooooove businesses that freely give information.

I agree that she had a valid concern; and gyms should want their customers
I didn't know y'all had to sign a contract :(. Thankfully at cp's gym we don't have to :)

We had to sign a contract and if we broke it for any other reason beyond moving (this was the gym in MO) we had to pay $250. The gym 45 minutes away was $500. And they yes, they do follow through with what has been signed.

alright I did some googling (actually just googled "paid bids will be invested into the gym") and it wasn't that hard to figure out what gym it was.

My issue I have with this strategy is that EPs award paid bids to send Gym Y's Senior Team X to Worlds, not to pay for Gym Y's new tumble track and cheese mats.

Hey that works! That gym is nowhere near us, so thankfully multiple gyms didn't come up with the same wording.

I think we should call this the "Pissmometer"
emoji13.png

On a scale of 1 to table flipping, how mad should she be about this? I think (going off the assumption she didn't know about the amount before she signed on the dotted line) this is about a 7. Just because that kind of money is a deal breaker for me. I'd have to walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I concur.

Ultimate Athletics is sooooooooooo good at this. I love how accessible their information is. It may not be the program for us because of cost and they travel a LOT... But at least we'll be able to make that decision based on real information. They get a lot of points for transparency. Their entire packet is on their website with cost breakdowns and practice schedule for this year. Obviously the practice schedule would change, but at least it gives a good look at what types of schedules they have (how many days a week, hours, etc).

There are so many gyms whose websites I've looked at and they have nothing! But if you try to call... Also nothing. I move right on when I get to sites like that. I'm not driving an hour to get information from you.

I loooooooooove businesses that freely give information.

Our new gym publishes theirs online and everything is laid out---they do inclusive pricing so your comp and extra fees; outside of uniform, make-up...etc, are already factored in over the course of the season.

ok that makes me feel better- there is a local gym that makes parents sign actual contracts and the owner will take the parents to court if they leave the program.

There is a very large gym near us that uses contracts like this. You can pay upfront the total cost of tuition, uniforms, competition fees, etc for the year at a discounted rate. Or you can pay monthly, but the cost is significantly more. If you are unable to participate for ANY reason, even injury or moving, you can buy out your contract for $500 if there are less than 6 months left on it. If you pay in advance, there are no refunds. My CP has never quit anything mid-season, but she has a medical condition that lands her in the hospital at least a few times a year. She has not missed one single practice yet this season, but the thought of her being sidelined and me still having to foot the cheer bill was enough to cross that gym off my list.

There is a very large gym near us that uses contracts like this. You can pay upfront the total cost of tuition, uniforms, competition fees, etc for the year at a discounted rate. Or you can pay monthly, but the cost is significantly more. If you are unable to participate for ANY reason, even injury or moving, you can buy out your contract for $500 if there are less than 6 months left on it. If you pay in advance, there are no refunds. My CP has never quit anything mid-season, but she has a medical condition that lands her in the hospital at least a few times a year. She has not missed one single practice yet this season, but the thought of her being sidelined and me still having to foot the cheer bill was enough to cross that gym off my list.
that is AWFUL!! I can understand if you leave because you think the grass is greener- but for a medical condition and/or moving something that is out of your control- there should be refunds.....just saying

I think we should call this the "Pissmometer" [emoji13]

The Pissmometer needs to also serve as a Crazeemometer :eek:, an Iseerightthroughyourfakemometer;) , and a CallingBSontherawscoremometer :mad:!

A switch that would toggle between those four and a beeping alarm that would increase in rate and pitch as the level increases!!!

that is AWFUL!! I can understand if you leave because you think the grass is greener- but for a medical condition and/or moving something that is out of your control- there should be refunds.....just saying

I agree. They told me that if CP was in the hospital they might be able to make an exception once she recuperates and re-work her back into the routine if they had enough time between competitions. But if not, they said she was still welcome to come to practices and support her team. In other words, you can buy us out if we don't put her back in the routine or you can continue paying our very expensive tuition for your CP to be a spectator.

When CP is in the hospital, it is usually for just one or two nights. Then I usually give her one or two days of recuperation at home and then her coaches let her go at her own pace and take breaks when she needs to for two days. Usually, she is back to 100% by day 5. If her hospital stay this January hadn't happened over break, she would have only missed one practice and moderately participated in one more before she snapped back. But that would have been enough for her to be cut from the routine for the next competition at this other gym. According to their contract, they could have used it to not let her compete the rest of the season.

But this gym is HUGE. They definitely aren't hurting for athletes so their policies must not deter a lot of people. All-Star is definitely a participate at-will activity. That's why CP goes to a gym that I willingly open my wallet for every month. Not one that feels like the owners are holding my arms down and forcibly ripping it out of my pocket.

Last edited:
I've read the packet and if the hotel expense in the World's pricing is for the family, it's not great but, it's not terribly outrageous, either. If it's for 4 cheerleaders sharing a room and I have to still get accommodations for my family, it's ridiculous. To me, that wasn't clear in the wording. Also, the word "ESTIMATED" is used several times and IMO, in a financial agreement, that's unacceptable terminology but, it's there. I, also, disagree with "Paid" and "Partially Paid" bid money becoming "gym money" to be re-invested into the gym but, it is in large print and underlined.

The $1600 for World's includes 5 nights /6 days at a gym designated hotel, if it is for the family I can see a breakdown similar to below:

$1600-$875 (5 day hotel at $175 high avg)-$113.50 (hotel taxes)-$310 (park hopper for cheerleader)-$75 (transportation/5 days)= $226.50 remainder left x 36 athletes = $8154 balance total/3 coaches = $2718 per coach

$2718 (per coach)- $1225 (7 day hotel at $175 high avg) -$159.25 (hotel taxes) - $350 Air Fare - $310 (park hopper) - $75 (transportation for 7 days) - $525 (food at $75 x 7 days) = $73.75 ......camp wear.....done.

If the above, however, is for 4 cheerleaders sharing a room, I can not account for approx. $650 + tax per cheerleader.

Last edited:
Dang. Has it actually ever happened?
I know of a local gym that did take someone to small claims court for not finishing out their contract. The sad thing is, the gym "encouraged" her to quit instead of removing the athlete from the team so that they could enforce the contract.

I, also, disagree with "Paid" and "Partially Paid" bid money becoming "gym money" to be re-invested into the gym but, it is in large print and underlined.

... But it also goes against what's in the usasf rules. It very clearly (although not in large print or underlined) says that bid money is to be used towards travel, accommodations, and registration for Worlds. NOT to be invested back into the gym so that parents can still foot the bill!

... But it also goes against what's in the usasf rules. It very clearly (although not in large print or underlined) says that bid money is to be used towards travel, accommodations, and registration for Worlds. NOT to be invested back into the gym so that parents can still foot the bill!
Agreed. I was surprised to see it in large print and underlined but, it is.

I'm just trying to understand if there is a loophole. This makes sense in my mind but I'm not sure if it counts - Say a gym collects the money for Worlds throughout the year in installments. The team receives a full paid bid and that money is applied directly to the registration fee's for Worlds. Instead of issuing a refund for a portion of the previously collected money, now it goes in to the general gym fund towards new equipment, etc. In my eyes, that isn't using the "bid money" for anything other than what it is supposed to be used for.

If they made the parents pay for the registration after the fact of recieving the paid bid and then turn around and use that bid check for a new floor... that would be in violation of the rules.

Back