All-Star ..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There is a very large gym near us that uses contracts like this. You can pay upfront the total cost of tuition, uniforms, competition fees, etc for the year at a discounted rate. Or you can pay monthly, but the cost is significantly more. If you are unable to participate for ANY reason, even injury or moving, you can buy out your contract for $500 if there are less than 6 months left on it. If you pay in advance, there are no refunds. My CP has never quit anything mid-season, but she has a medical condition that lands her in the hospital at least a few times a year. She has not missed one single practice yet this season, but the thought of her being sidelined and me still having to foot the cheer bill was enough to cross that gym off my list.

I don't know why anyone would sign that.

I agree - her concerns were totally valid.

I realize I am the one who sort of "outed" her. However, in my defense, I didn't say anything that wasn't already in the thread.

This is exactly the nonsense that makes me not want to put my daughter back in cheer. She had a valid concern/question, but can't leave her post because her gym will find out?

Dear cheer gyms: parents are your CUSTOMERS, not your employees. I sometimes wonder if people that run cheer gyms have ever been on Twitter... People complain about businesses they patronize on social media every day. Stop telling your customers what they can and can't say and do. I complain about Ulta every chance I get - but believe it or not, I've never worried once about getting in trouble with Ulta.

Don't want your customers to post things that make you look bad? Stop doing things that make you look bad.

Side note though... The topic may have been a valid concern, but the posts were a little dramatic with all the !!!!!!! exclamation points and some of the wording. Maybe tone it down if it's a business you plan to continue using...?

I am standing up and doing that slow building movie clap as I'm reading this.
Great post!!!!

I know of a local gym that did take someone to small claims court for not finishing out their contract. The sad thing is, the gym "encouraged" her to quit instead of removing the athlete from the team so that they could enforce the contract.
This happened at a gym by me also. They had the parents sign a contract saying if you left after the first practice for any reason you would be responsible for the entire season. The girls showed up to all of the coaches replaced. Turns out they were all let go the first day of practice. A lot of the girls walked out, and every single one of them got sued. The gym lost in small claims and after they took 3 kids to court the judge kindly asked them not to continue with the rest of the team. Pretty crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close. But the packet says payments start in September for Worlds/Summit fees. I really don't think they are running a scam or anything. I think they're trying to build their gym in a way that makes sense to them. Parents MUST agree, because it is thriving. My only interest is wondering if other gyms function that way...or if my child's ever will. :)
I know of two gyms in Oregon that keep paid bid money for the gym and don't pass on the money to athletes. I think it's really wrong, and I wouldn't participate in that gym, but to each their own!

I know of two gyms in Oregon that keep paid bid money for the gym and don't pass on the money to athletes. I think it's really wrong, and I wouldn't participate in that gym, but to each their own!

I can only think of one gym in Oregon that has a World's team.... Is this including Summit bids as well?

No, just world bids. And I don't know about this year, this happened last year and the year before and there definitely was two gyms, both in the Portland area.

This happened at a gym by me also. They had the parents sign a contract saying if you left after the first practice for any reason you would be responsible for the entire season. The girls showed up to all of the coaches replaced. Turns out they were all let go the first day of practice. A lot of the girls walked out, and every single one of them got sued. The gym lost in small claims and after they took 3 kids to court the judge kindly asked them not to continue with the rest of the team. Pretty crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This happened here as well-pretty sure its the same gym @cheermomof4 is talking about. Basically the judge told the owner he couldn't sue for services that weren't rendered.

This happened here as well-pretty sure its the same gym @cheermomof4 is talking about. Basically the judge told the owner he couldn't sue for services that weren't rendered.
We all know the same gym, or there's more than one gym with these crazy shenanigans going on. Last season was a sue happy year for a local gym, they won none of them for the exact reason you said. My close family friend who is also a lawyer informed me that any youth sports document is worthless legally.

Back