OT Act Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
May 15, 2011
So i started asking on the college thread but i didn't want to take over, and this could be helpful to everyone on the boards. What are some of your tips to survive the ACT with a good score?

I just bought the ACT prep book. The first time I took it, I just messed up on time. I had to leave soooo many questions blank and couldn't even fill them in randomly! Make sure you time manage!

Do the questions you know first. Then go back and do the ones you think you know some of next then go and try the ones you don't know last.

Take the practice tests. If your school is offering a practice test take it!!! I took some practice tests in class and then took the real thing and got a 34.
Focus on your studying on your strengths then your weaknesses, you think you know everything about a subject but when you get to the test you just freeze up, so fly through your strengths first when studying then go and hit your weaknesses, it will give you all the time till the test happens to study what you really need to learn.

Take prep classes and practice tests. The classes will teach you strategies to manage your time during the test and practice tests will help you determine your strengths and weaknesses. I didn't love all the practicing and studying while I was doing it, but knowing that I had a plan on how to attack the test once it was in front of me really helped alleviate stress on test day... and I was pretty thankful I'd done all that when I got my scores back!

One really useful tip that I got out of a prep class was that the choices for math questions are usually in numerical order (ex- A. 5, B. 15, C. 23, D. 36, E. 51), so if you need to plug the choices into your equation, you should start with "C". If the result is too low, you'll know that you can eliminate choices A & B because those will also be too low. I hope this makes sense! This saved me SO much time.

Take the ACT prep class! I learned so much from that class.

if you run out of time and have to just fill in bubbles at the end, pick one letter and stick with it (ex: put A for all the questions remaining), rather than just randomly filling in bubbles. Statistically this will increase your chance of getting it right. Also bring a snack because it will be a long morning!!

Take the act prep class if there is one offered. In mine each week you would take a mock test of one of the subjects, see your score then learn how to study and get tips/hints. For the reading portion, read slowly. Even if you aren't a fast reader (I read pretty fast) read at a pace where you will be able to remember some of the info so you won't have to go back and re-read a section. The science also is a lot of reading and interpreting data so go over that as well, good luck!

Back