OT Advice On Getting My Belly Button Pierced?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 24, 2010
One of my rewards for myself when I get my abs back (which will hopefully be soon cuz I'm doing Insanity in addition to being on a team) is I want to get my belly button pierced. Any advice? Like what kind of jewelry I should get? When I should get it done? I am still on a team, but I have an insanely high pain tolerance. Any thing else? Y'alls stories? Thanks!

Well when you first get it, you have to get something standard and plain, nothing nice because if the ring is to heavy your belly button will rip. My sister got hers pierced and she said the piercing itself wasn't that bad, but the clamp hurt. But it was probably a 7 or a 7.5 on the pain scale, she says. But if you're planning to swim this summer, you'll have to tape it up and cover it. And make sure you clean it every day with alcohol! IT WILL GET INFECTED IF YOU DON'T! And you I don't think you'll be able to swim or go into a hot tub for a month or two. My sister went after three weeks and it got infected.

tumblr_lyh01o3xmS1qgmn20o1_500.jpg

that would be cute to get after it heals fully!

Get it done after season. I've heard way to many bad stories about new piercings and cheerleading not going so well together. :OMG:

It's like a pinch, it's really not painful at all! Especially in the UK we are not allowed to numb it at all. I don't know if they do for you in the US? But yeah, I would recommend getting it done after the cheer season because when you practice with it in it's a little bit of sensitivity and it's a big risk practicing with it in!

I'm sure you will love it :)

Yes it looks super cute if you take care of it.

Please note that the hole never heals and you will always have the mark where you were pierced. I stopped wearing jewelry in mine 4 years ago and it basically still looks the same.

I got mine done back in the 90s when it first started to be the "thing". 6 months later it got ripped out cheering. Yes, ripped out. I had to wait a year for the scar tissue to heal and then got it re-done. Then a few years later I took it out when I was pregnant. So now I have a double scar on my stomach from it....one from where it ripped and one from the second set of holes. really cute.

wait untill after season!!!
as a coach i had to deal a few times with kids getting piercing during season:
1) as long as the healing is going on, you cant take it out. most gyms have a no jewelery during practise rule.
2) if you keep it in during practise someone can get stuck behind it, which might result in the jewel getting ripped out, it will hurt you, but then its your own fault. its worse when a teammate gets stuck and gets hurt
3) you'll have to remove it for competition

i think its really cute (wanna get it done too, but think im a bit too old for it maybe) but i strongly recommend to wait untill your season has ended so it can heal properly so you can enjoy your new piece of jewelery.

I got it done in college. It didn't hurt at all. Just a pinch. I got it done right before (like the week before) leaving to cheer at the NCAA tourney..and right before NCA College Nationals....I took it out and and put a clear one in for both things

However I regret getting it done. If I could go back in time I would not do it. I took it out when I turned 22 because I felt too old for it. I just didn't and don't like the look of them

Mine's been done for about 4, maybe 5 years. I think I was 14? Anyways, I HATE needles and I think my bellybutton hurt less than getting my ears done. The clamp doesn't hurt, it just feels funny. There are few nerves near your belly button so you don't feel anything really, it just hurts after a few days (as does any piercing) as your body is fighting a new hole in you. I got mine done in May or June and cheered all summer with it. I didn't ever wear dangly ones as I was scared of them getting yanked but I never really had an issue with it! Good luck :) Now I can take mine out for days and it's fine.

i got mine done about a year ago ... it didn't really hurt that much.. i got it on a Thursday right after practice which was from 9-11 in the morning and i didn't have practice again till Tuesday so it had a little time to settle before practice. when i went to practice i put a big band-aid over it. i was scared to stunt with it no one really came anywhere near it. this one time though it got like pulled on and i got a big red bump underneath it and i went to the piercing place and they said if it gets pulled on hard that a that would happen but it went away and its fine now... but if your working fulls i think you should wait till the season ends. if your going to get it give your self some time before your you get it because i don't know if you tumble or not but the first time you do a back hand spring it feels weird because its stretches. hope i could help :)

Back