College Advice?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I'm attending Bowling Green State in Ohio as a freshmen next year and I plan on trying out for the team in April. They're a UCA style school. Anyways.. I'm going to A skills clinic on sunday, does anyone have any advice on what I should expect or what to do appearance wise? Any tips or advice is appreciated :)

I'm attending Bowling Green State in Ohio as a freshmen next year and I plan on trying out for the team in April. They're a UCA style school. Anyways.. I'm going to A skills clinic on sunday, does anyone have any advice on what I should expect or what to do appearance wise? Any tips or advice is appreciated :)
I would try to wear something non program specific (especially not something that has another schools logo/name etc. on it) and in their colors. If you're really serious about wanting to cheer there, looking the part might put you in a good light with the coach, etc. for when you try out next year :)

I would definitely agree with Emily Jane above. Wear something non program specific or wear their school colors/school clothing. Every school has a bookstore so its not hard to get a tshirt with the colleges name on it. As for the rest of your appearance I would look up how they require their current cheerleaders to dress. Do they wear big bows on top of their heads or no bows at all? Do they wear their hair all the way up or half up. Just simple things like that! I'm sure if you don't know a current cheerleader then you can find one on facebook & she would be more than willing to let you know what you should wear. When I went to my first skills clinic I was one of the only ones there that didn't have my hair half up half down curled. However I attended a different colleges skill clinic later on and everyone just wore normal ponytails without bows. You don't want to be overly done up, but its not fun being the odd man out either!

If they are a UCA school I would shy away from wearing a huge bow unless it is plain in color (even that is pushing it). Many UCA schools (UK, Morehead, IU, Alabama, ect.) wear small bows that are not as distracting.
Go for a plain colored top and plain soffees.

I have to share a story....My girl transferred from a high profile NCA school (D1 Coed) to a UCA school (D1a lg coed) she was used to wearing spanks, sports bras to practice and BIG bows for competition. She went to her tryouts last spring sporting the appropriate Soffees and tshirt...lol..off they came and she ROCKED her spandex! She also started a trend with some of the team USA girls. Point is..always be respectful to what the team normally wears..especially if you are somewhat shy, and maybe not at the top of skill set. Now....if you have the skills and the confidence.... go for it! :)

Small Coed DI, right? They're in my team's division!

Anyways, from what I've seen and from the fact that they are from Ohio and not the deep South you should be good with a tshirt (Bowling Green preferably) and soffees. Do your hair in a low pony or one at the back of your head, not on the very top, with a ribbon or a 2.5 inch bow. Remember your smile of course. :)

Anyways, from what I've seen and from the fact that they are from Ohio and not the deep South you should be good with a tshirt (Bowling Green preferably) and soffees. Do your hair in a low pony or one at the back of your head, not on the very top, with a ribbon or a 2.5 inch bow. Remember your smile of course. :)

She was on SFA lg Coed D1

yep BGSU is small coed d1 :)

Back