All-Star Air Horns

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They can't give deductions bc then there'd be teams blowing them for the teams performing lol! We'd have to have air horn police posted in every row of seats. I hate them too though! I wish they would just ban them at all events as a safety hazard. One of our fans blew one during a small comp thousands of years ago and it caused a flyer to startle and mis-step on her walk in lib. She fell and we got a deduction. I banned them after that!
One time our pyramid hit and I got so excited I accidentally blew it. Boy did I not hear the end of that!! So needless to say I only blow it before and after our routine and only like twice. Last weekend at WSF when ATA was performing I swear one of their fans blew it after every single tumbling pass, during stunts, in the pyramid. I wish I had a video of one of the teams because it was unreal how many times they blew the dang horn. Probably 20 times during the routine and I'm not exaggerating. Now that is annoying!!!

Not even reading thread. People who bring air horns deserve to have them blown in their ears till they are deaf! Only kidding slightly. Lost hearing in ear for 2 days after someone from my own gym blew one directly into my ear. Piercing pain

One time our pyramid hit and I got so excited I accidentally blew it. Boy did I not hear the end of that!! So needless to say I only blow it before and after our routine and only like twice. Last weekend at WSF when ATA was performing I swear one of their fans blew it after every single tumbling pass, during stunts, in the pyramid. I wish I had a video of one of the teams because it was unreal how many times they blew the dang horn. Probably 20 times during the routine and I'm not exaggerating. Now that is annoying!!!
What these teams like ATA need to understand is that nobody can enjoy watching their teams perform if they have to listen to airhorns the entire performance. I'd like to hear if the kids on stage even enjoy them???

I'm not a fan of airhorns at all. But the thing that sends me to that special place is the banging of the wooden blocks together.

Sounds like everyone was at Spirit Celebration this weekend! Two of our cheer dads made a horn contraption that involved CAR batteries in coolers with an air compressor, the horns were big rig truck horns and they were so loud! They only set them off (did I mention there were 4 of them all together?) during Spirit teams when they came out and at the end of the performance. Then during awards when one of our teams was called. A lot of people stared but only one person actually came over and complained and he was a bit of a jack** about it. Evidently he was trying to read and the horns were bothering him, but he didn't say "hey can you bring it down a bit" instead he said "you all are beyond annoying" to the whole section of parents and then stormed off in a huff back to his seat. Here's a hint buddy...don't sit right in the middle of CA and Spirit and expect us to sit nicely on our hands while our kids perform...not going to happen!

Air horns I HATE. Something our gym does is take water bottles and fill them with gym colored beads. The moms shake them when we come out on stage but that's it. All the same if you're using any noise maker you should be considerate to those around you!

I got the following from an OSHA website. I hope the gentlemen carting batteries into a arena filled with people are following safety precautions. Wow.

What is important to know about batteries?
Lead-acid batteries contain sulfuric acid and only trained and authorized personnel should handle them. When talking about lead-acid batteries, people usually call sulfuric acid "battery acid" or the "electrolyte". An electrolyte is general term used to describe a non-metallic substance like acids such as sulfuric acid or salts that can conduct electricity when dissolved in water.
  • Use extreme care to avoid spilling or splashing the sulfuric acid solution. It can destroy clothing and burn the eyes and skin.
  • Always wear splash-proof goggles and protective clothing (gloves and aprons). A face shield may also be necessary.
Batteries can weigh about 14 to 27 kg (30 to 60 lb) so practice safe lifting and carrying procedures to prevent back injuries. Use a battery carrier to lift a battery, or place hands at opposite corners.
Only work with or charge batteries if you have been trained to do so.

What do I do if I splash some battery acid in my eyes or skin?
  • Use an emergency eyewash/shower station if solution is splashed into the eyes.
  • Immediately flush the contaminated eye(s) with clean, lukewarm, gently flowing water for at least 30 minutes, by the clock, while holding the eyelid(s) open.
  • If irritation persists, repeat flushing. Neutral saline solution may be used as soon as it is available.
  • DO NOT INTERRUPT FLUSHING. If necessary, keep the emergency vehicle waiting.
  • Take care not to rinse contaminated water into the unaffected eye or onto the face.
  • First aiders should avoid direct contact. Wear chemical protective gloves, if necessary.
  • Quickly transport the victim to an emergency care facility. Flush any area of your body contacted by battery acid immediately and thoroughly.
If the skin is splashed with acid,
  • As quickly as possible, flush the contaminated area with lukewarm, gently flowing water for at least 30 minutes, by the clock.
  • If irritation persists, repeat flushing. DO NOT INTERRUPT FLUSHING. If necessary, keep emergency vehicle waiting.
  • Under running water, remove contaminated clothing, shoes and leather goods (e.g., watchbands, belts).
  • Transport the victim to an emergency care facility immediately.
  • Discard contaminated clothing, shoes and leather goods.
What should I do after handling batteries?
  • Rinse off your gloves well before removing them. Then rinse the apron to remove any battery acid that may have contaminated it.
  • Wash yourself with soap and water immediately after servicing a battery.
  • Neutralize spilled or splashed sulfuric acid solution with a baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) solution, and rinse the spill area with clean water.
  • Keep tools and other metallic objects (including jewellery) away from the tops of batteries.

What are some safety tips to know when servicing batteries?
  • Keep metal tools and other metallic objects away from batteries.
  • Inspect for defective cables, loose connections, corrosion, cracked cases or covers, loose hold-downs and deformed or loose terminal posts.
  • Replace worn or unserviceable parts.
  • Tighten cable clamp nuts with the proper size wrench. Avoid subjecting battery terminals to excessive twisting forces.
  • Use a cable puller to remove a cable clamp from the battery terminal.
  • Remove corrosion on the terminal posts, hold-down tray and hold-down parts.
  • Use a tapered brush to clean dirt from the battery terminals and the cable clamps.
  • Use a battery carrier to lift a battery, or place hands at opposite corners.
  • Do not lean over a battery.
How should the battery charging area be constructed?
Work areas when working with or charging batteries should:
  • Have good ventilation to diffuse gases and prevent explosions.
  • Be constructed with acid-resistant materials (racks, trays, floor, tools, etc.).
  • Have face shields, aprons and gloves of the appropriate chemical-resistant materials readily available.
  • Have emergency eyewash or shower stations close by, with no obstructions along the path (storeg materials, doors, etc.).
  • Have equipment and supplies for flushing, neutralizing, and cleaning spilled chemicals, acid and electrolyte solutions near by.
Can batteries explode?
Yes, hydrogen gas is produced during normal battery operation. This easily ignitable gas can escape through the battery vents and may form an explosive mixture in the atmosphere around the battery if ventilation is poor.
  • Keep sparks, flames, burning cigarettes, and other ignition sources away at all times.
  • Do not break "live" circuits at the terminals of batteries.
What should I know about filling batteries?
  • Keep battery deposits off your body when cleaning terminals by brushing debris away from the body.
  • Do not fill battery cells above the level indicator. Use a self-levelling filler which automatically fills the battery to a predetermined level.
  • Do not squeeze the syringe so hard that the water splashes acid from the cell opening.
What are some tips for handling battery solutions?
  • Pour concentrated acid slowly into water: Do NOT add water into acid - the water tends to sit on top of the heavier (more dense) acid. The water can become hot enough to spatter.
  • Use nonmetallic containers and funnels.
  • Recap any electrolyte container and store it in a safe place at floor level.
  • Do not store acid in hot locations or in direct sunlight.
  • Do not store electrolyte solution on shelves or any location where the container can overturn.
  • Do not squeeze or puncture a container with a screwdriver or other instrument. The acid solution may splash on face, hands, or clothing.
  • Do not fill a new battery with electrolyte solution while it is in the vehicle. Fill the battery while it is on the floor, before installation.
What should I know about using booster cables?
Sparks created from booster or jumper cables can ignite a flammable mixture of hydrogen in air causing an explosion.
Before using jumper cables:
  • Wear eye protection.
  • Make sure that the two vehicles are not touching each other.
  • Turn off the ignition switches of both vehicles.
  • Extinguish all cigarettes, cigars, and other sources of flame or ignition. Remember, explosive mixtures of hydrogen are always present in the cells of batteries.
  • Remove the filler caps from both batteries to vent the dangerous hydrogen gas. This is not necessary if the vehicles are equipped with maintenance-free batteries.
  • Do not charge or jump a frozen battery.
  • Check vehicle/equipment service manual for specific requirements.
WARNING:
When connecting or disconnecting jumper cables, use extreme care in handling the clamps.
Do not allow cables to touch each other, nor to touch the frame or body of either vehicle. This will prevent sparks that can cause an explosion.

Back